Windows 10: Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU

Discus and support Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Must be going bonkers -- got W2K3 X-64 server version working on KVM/QEMU One needs a bit of fiddling to make it work as a Workstation as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 6, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU

Hi there
    Must be going bonkers -- got W2K3 X-64 server version working on KVM/QEMU

One needs a bit of fiddling to make it work as a Workstation as opposed to a server - but it's much better, stable and faster than XP 32 bit so I'm hoping to run my legacy XP stuff on this. The virtio drivers for windows all loading fine including Networkcards and proper Video resolution.

Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU [​IMG]

Had trouble getting this to work with VMWare

Cheers
    jimbo

Great to have "Time to waste".

Cgeers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 6, 2021
  2. Aquinus Win User

qemu-kvm

It will not run under Windows as KVM is a kernel-level virtualization built for the Linux kernel.

It allows remote management (through KVM) using VNC (password optional, but I do recommend one.)

You don't need X installed on the server. You can install X Server on a windows machine, open an X tunnel using SSH, and open virt-manager and it will be displayed on your Windows box. I work with KVM in a business environment and it is a very nice platform (we have something like 8 QEMU/KVM virtual machines in production running on a dual-quad core xeon server with hyperthreading and 24gb of memory). Virt-manager makes it very easy to manage QEMU/KVM but the CLI tools gives you much more control.

I thought it could only run under the architecture it was compiled for.

Aquinus, Feb 6, 2021
  3. qemu-kvm

virt-manager is the gui that can be used to do exactly this.

from the open source project:QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Easy Rhino, Feb 6, 2021
  4. W1zzard Win User

qemu-kvm

i'm missing some kind of free gui based management thing for qemu-kvm that lets me do common VM tasks

W1zzard, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Going Bonkers - got W2K3 X-64 server working on KVM/QEMU - Similar Threads - Going Bonkers got

2. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  3. MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MOUSE DOESN'T WORK KVM QEMU WSL2: I'm virtualizing a FreeBsd 13.0-2 machine on Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS GNU/Linux 5.15.90.1-microsoft-standard-WSL2 x86_64 under WSL2 the base operating system is Win 11. I use virt-manager and everything runs fine until I try to upload a Window Manager, the mouse doesn't work in any...
  4. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  5. Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation in KVM/qemu virtual machine: Hello, I have a problem with the activation of Win10 Pro. I have a digital license win7 upgrade in 2015 or something like that... I reinstalled my virtual machine with some new tweaks etc. the problem is now that I cannot activate Windows anymore with my Microsoft account...
  6. W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool

W2k22 pre-release version server on KVM/QEMU Good learning tool: Hi folks From Brinks post in News on Server W2K22 - you get link to download and keys . I got it working on KVM/QEMU -- everything apart from sound but who needs sound on a server. SMB1 also working for sharing with older NAS / Windows systems. (update- sound now working --...
  7. WinXPalso working on QEMU/KVM with Nero, Minidisc and audio CD mounter

WinXPalso working on QEMU/KVM with Nero, Minidisc and audio CD mounter: Hi folks Finally also got a standard XP PRO SP3 (32 bit) system to work properly on KVM/QEMU with a Minidisk recorder (professional version) , Nero 7 for compiling audio CD (inc from flac) and saving as an audio cd image, being able to mount it recogniseable to windows as an...
  8. KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge

KVM/QEMU users - creating a Network Bridge: Hi folks Those of you running a Linux host and wanting to run Windows VM's using KVM/QEMU then provided you've got a wired connection you should make a network bridge otherwise your VM will only be able to use NAT with connection limitations. so ensure net-tools and...
  9. How to connect a qemu / kvm mac os x guest os to internet inside WSL2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to connect a qemu / kvm mac os x guest os to internet inside WSL2: Hello. I've installed ubuntu 20.04 on WSL2 and I started a VM with qemu and kvm,running mac os x as guest os. It works great,except for the configuration of the net. Infact it is not able to connect to internet. Sometime from WSL I get a 192.x.x.x ip number,like :...
  10. Going Bonkers here !!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Going Bonkers here !!!!: Hi folks Going Bonkers here -- running 5 VM's from an average laptop (Intel I3 proc) with 16 GB memory and 500GB SSD. Intel I3 processor only average --OK though for modest workload. Windows Host + 4 X Linux VM's and 1 Windows VM all giving acceptable performance So...