Windows 10: Going to clone, but disk was GPT, so I switched to MBR old motherboard

Discus and support Going to clone, but disk was GPT, so I switched to MBR old motherboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Used diskpart, list part, select disk, clean, then convert mbr I was thinking clone wont work if disk is set to GPT and board supports only mbr right?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Going to clone, but disk was GPT, so I switched to MBR old motherboard

Used diskpart, list part, select disk, clean, then convert mbr

I was thinking clone wont work if disk is set to GPT and board supports only mbr right?

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung data migration software quits! while cloning, say it was interrupted by an unknown reason in RED.

On their forum someone said they fixed that by running sfc /scannow and turning powercfg.exe /h off.

:)

sdowney717, Dec 5, 2020

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Dec 5, 2020
  3. g geek Win User
    clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

My HP Vista laptop took a swim and died. I pulled the 320MB HD, put it in an external enclosure and found it still good. Bought a new Dell Win 10 machine w/ 1TB HD. Plan was to:

• Partition off a piece of the new 1TB w/ native Win10 Disk Management.

• Clone the 320MB Vista drive into the new partition w/ Easeus Partition Manager.

• Run Paragon-adaptive-restore on the Vista partition.

• Set up as dual-boot Win10 / Vista.
    Ran into problems right away. Apparently can't clone the MBR HD to a GPT partition and have it remain bootable. Don't see a way to do this without wiping the new Dell 1TB clean – which I'm hesitant to do, especially since I'm about 6000 miles from
    home right now.

• What's the solution to cloning the MBR drive to a bootable GPT partition?

• Am I on the right track? I really want to preserve this Vista installation - I have 30+ years of data in legacy programs on it that would be very difficult to access in Win10.
    TIA

g geek, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Going to clone, but disk was GPT, so I switched to MBR old motherboard

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So

I've got a new PC coming and this time it's the first time I will be using UEFI, i have read all the big stuff but I don't have the hardware yet so It's still kind of half baked but I'll do dig deep into it once I start building in the coming days.

I've read the win7 install guides, MS GPT FAQs (not fully yet), etc,

But I wish to know if:

I can use UEFI as an upgraded bios without having to use GPT disk format?

GPT disks can have any sort of partition cloning for full operational OS backup ?

Will GPT format improve performance on SDD or improve reliability in terms of data integrity or error rate?

When isntalling win7 with MBR but using UEFI, will it work normally without needing to uefi-boot the window7 install?

If I cannot backup my OS in a 100% clone that will boot normally when recovered, i will probably not use GPT, that shit is a step backward.

RuskiSnajper, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Going to clone, but disk was GPT, so I switched to MBR old motherboard

1. Going to clone, but disk was GPT, so I switched to MBR old motherboard - Similar Threads - Going clone disk

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. I convert my MBR disk into MBR with MBR2GPT. Windows became UEFI and GPT, so what settings...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I convert my MBR disk into MBR with MBR2GPT. Windows became UEFI and GPT, so what settings...: Let me warn you, why do I make my MBR disk GPT and make Legacy UEFI? I do all this basically to install Windows 11, because I have a W10 Pro and I want to install W11 with free upgrade. My computer supports TPM 2.0, Secure Boot. However I installed W10 with Legacy+MBR...
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  5. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  6. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  7. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  8. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  9. Unable to clone disk: disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone disk: disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition: Windows 10 is installed on machine and I need to clone the entire disk with Clonezilla. However, it gives an error as This disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition. It also says that I have to destroy the GPT partition table to be able to continue. How can I make...
  10. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...