Windows 10: Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC

Discus and support Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I wanted to replace my 500GB Hard Disk with a 1TB one but in order to do so, I'll have to reinstall my Windows 10 PC and have lost the Product Key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AussyFernandez, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC

I wanted to replace my 500GB Hard Disk with a 1TB one but in order to do so, I'll have to reinstall my Windows 10 PC and have lost the Product Key required to activate it afterwards. Please reply if you have any solutions. I tried contacting Microsoft but they say that only the retailer who sold the product to you can help, and that they are helpless. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft has ways to help us get the Product Key but they're just unwilling to do so. Since my account is signed in the PC and probably, there could be ways to get the Product Key via this method. If you have any other way/method I could try, I'd really be grateful as my PC really needs this hardware upgrade.

Thank you!

:)

AussyFernandez, Dec 17, 2019

2. Lost of Product Key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Which operating system was installed in the computer when you bought it?
    • Did you receive CD of the operating system when you bought the laptop or Windows was already installed?
    If you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you won’t receive a Windows 10 product key. Instead, Windows 10 will be activated using a digital entitlement.

The Product Key on a computer that has Windows 8 pre-installed is embedded in the BIOS on the motherboard. There is no longer any sticker with the product key.

How to find your product key depends on how you bought your copy of Windows (if Windows 10):

• If you bought Windows 10 from an authorized retailer, the product key will be on a label inside the box it came in.

• If you bought a digital copy of Windows 10 from a Microsoft website, the product key will be in the confirmation email you received after buying it or will be distributed digitally as an entitlement, in which case you won't receive a product
      key. For example, if you upgraded to Windows 10 for free, you'll receive an entitlement instead of a product key.

• If you bought a new PC running Windows 10, the product key will be pre–installed on your PC and your PC will automatically be activated, included with the packaging the PC came in, or included on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached
      to the PC.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Dec 17, 2019
  3. NDIBEMADU Win User
    Lost of Product Key

I bought my Laptop in July 2015 with the Home and Student Microsoft Word. When I refreshed my computer I lost the Product key and I could not find the CD that contain the product key. What shall I do please suggest and help.

NDIBEMADU, Dec 17, 2019
  4. AddRAM Win User

Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC

win 10 upgrade asking for product key

Just try it through Windows update, you shouldn`t have any issues.

Excellent question Navy, that`s probabaly why. If not then, as suggested, just use the Media Creation Tool and choose upgrade this PC in Step 3.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

AddRAM, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC

1. Going to upgrade hardware but lost product key of PC - Similar Threads - Going upgrade hardware

2. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  3. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  4. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. product key needed after hardware upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product key needed after hardware upgrade?: I do not have the original product key this was a store-bought computer from over 15 years ago. This is the second time I've upgraded my Hardware from the originally purchased computer. I had no issues after the first hardware upgrade.I've already gone to Home >Settings...
  6. product key needed after hardware upgrade?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    product key needed after hardware upgrade?: I do not have the original product key this was a store-bought computer from over 15 years ago. This is the second time I've upgraded my Hardware from the originally purchased computer. I had no issues after the first hardware upgrade.I've already gone to Home >Settings...
  7. product key needed after hardware upgrade?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Product key lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key lost: Hi, My computer is running on a "Windows 7 Ultimate", i got the product Id but i lost the product key. It is also displayed on a conner of my screen that " Windows 7 build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine". I don't know what to do, can any help me please....
  9. Just upgraded my PC hardware. Lost the product key to my windows 10, and unfortunatley the...

Just upgraded my PC hardware. Lost the product key to my windows 10, and unfortunatley the...: I would rather not throw 200$ out the window to buy a new copy. Unfortunately the old drive with windows on it is wiped. I need help getting back the product key so I can install it on the new hardware. Is this even possible? windows 10 Pro...
  10. Lost production key after hardware change

Lost production key after hardware change: Hello. So i recently bought and installed a new motherboard with cpu and rams. And were about to clean up my documents for a fresh install, when sudden my windows activation was "lost"? My windows 10, was the "free" update from Microsoft, which was updated from my windows 7...