Windows 10: Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

Discus and support Going to W10, need advice on laptop. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Going to W 10, need advice on laptop. Currently I have an MSI 17" laptop with 256GB ssd w?W7 Pro 32 bit. And it has been the best PC Ive owned in 30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klxdrt10, Nov 26, 2018.

1. klxdrt10 Win User

Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

Going to W 10, need advice on laptop.

Currently I have an MSI 17" laptop with 256GB ssd w?W7 Pro 32 bit. And it has been the best PC Ive owned in 30 yr.Still get several hr on orig batt. My computing is done "ABOVE the CODE & HDWE." HVerave been an info mgr, analyzer for 50 yr. Not a techie; But understand a fair amt of it. Price (Wife), functionality, value, speed are what I'm looking for.

Below is a starting point for a W10 laptop. You guys are the experts, so have a field day but use the KISS method. Think of a 10 yr old Honda Civic or a 60 yr old Craftsman screwdriver, (if anyone is old enough to remember the old Sears). Currently driving a 2018 Subaru Legacy, Great in NJ snow.

15 or 17" monitor.
    256 SSD, w/2 or 3 partitions
    3-4 usb 3 ports
    HDMI port.
    Ethernet port
    SSD card reader
    Familiar with MS opr syst from DOS 2? or 3.2, DR DOS thru W7. So I will be needing some help.

:)

klxdrt10, Nov 26, 2018

2. Laptop advice

Oh wait a minute, you live in Canada, don't you? I'm sorry, I thought you lived in the USA...I saw $1300 American and I didn't see a $1300 laptop at that link *Laugh :laugh:. Anyways, you wanted suggestions, so here you go. Oh yes and don't buy laptops through Best Buy, you'll get a much better deal at places like dell.com.
    • Get a better CPU, you will not regret it.
    • Integrated graphics will give you lag in basic OS and in games. Go for some kind of mobile graphics chip.
    • You need a bigger monitor. Mobile computers are alot better if you can actually read the display *Stick Out Tongue Going to W10, need advice on laptop. :p.
    • Try to get an internal optical drive, they are alot harder to lose.
    I also think you shouldn't be so worried about weight...but then again I'm not exactly a prominent laptop owner *Smile Going to W10, need advice on laptop. :).

zekrahminator, Nov 26, 2018
  3. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

Need Advice on Everything!

Take a step back

What is your budget ?
    What are you going to use it for?

TPU members will probly overload you with suggestions

CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

1. Going to W10, need advice on laptop. - Similar Threads - Going W10 need

2. Need urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  3. Need urgent advice,.?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need urgent advice,.?: Just open My PC with wins 10 _ and on the lowerright corner, where appears the "Notifications" Show this..I'm referring to the last icon. Which is the copilot icon.. when I hovered the mouse on it. Say - Copilot Preview never showed before. on the notifications area. Do am I...
  4. Purchase Advice Needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Purchase Advice Needed: I was so disheartened when my computer was seriously corrupted during a Windows 10 update. With the help I received here everything is okay now.But my laptop is ten years old Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and should be retired.Would an S-Mode offer more protection...
  5. Need networking advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need networking advice: I am trying to transfer files from my laptop (Windows 10 x64, ver 1909) to my desktop (Win 10 x64 ver 20H2. I have a lot of options, but can't seem to get any to work: 1) Google Drive--I appear to have two Google Drives, one talking to my phone and laptop, the other to my...
  6. Going to W10, need some advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need some advice.: Going to W10, need some advice. Hi, Currently running W7 Pro32 bit MSI I5 laptop & use it mainly for managing our Retirement funds, Healthcare along with research, learning about what's going on in the world today. I'm a retired busn Mgr & have been using PC's since the...
  7. Need advice on partitioning W10 & recovering W8.1.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need advice on partitioning W10 & recovering W8.1.: When I did a free upgrade from W8.1 to W10 the upgrade was corrupted, inasmuch as several default apps were missing, etc. I was in contact with MS on 4 occasions, 3 of them remotely operated my laptop, they attempted troubleshooting, scans, etc., but couldn't solve the...
  8. Help and or advice needed

in Windows 10 Support
    Help and or advice needed: I am running Windows 10. I currently attach a hdmi cable from laptop to tv. Is it possible to stream one thing from laptop onto tv screen and simultaneously surf the net using laptop monitor? Thanks 39170
  9. Complete newbie advice needed for win10 to go!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Complete newbie advice needed for win10 to go!: Hi guys please have paitence with me on the installation of Win10 on the go environment! I've been reading alot and have not yet put it into practice yet. Waiting for a USB3.0 Scandisk Extreme 32GB to be delivered I want to use on win10. I've collected loads of software...
  10. Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice.: Hi there, guys! I just recently bought a bew laptop, an Acer Aspire E15-553-1768, and, while I'm enjoying it so much, I'm having some lil' annoyances that I'm sure you can help me to solve. The first, I'm experiencing some sort of "poor colors" representation on my...