Windows 10: Good tools for syncing to another PC?

Discus and support Good tools for syncing to another PC? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I use a (large heavy) laptop for my main home system. In the past I used a smaller laptop for frequent business travel, and I used a sync program to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by garyfritz, Dec 29, 2017.

1. garyfritz Win User

Good tools for syncing to another PC?

I use a (large heavy) laptop for my main home system. In the past I used a smaller laptop for frequent business travel, and I used a sync program to keep the travel laptop up to date with important files (work files, Thunderbird email state, things like that). I would sync main -> travel laptop before a trip, then sync travel -> main when I got back (to store and retain the changes I made while on the road) and put the travel laptop back in its travel case until the next trip.

That was kind of klunky but it worked well. I haven't done it for several years because the smaller laptop died and I never bothered to replace it. Now I've just bought a new and feather-light (comparatively anyway) laptop and I need to decide how to handle it: keep the portly laptop in my home office and take the svelte new laptop with me on the road? Or just retire the porker and use the new laptop as my new do-everything system? Or something else, if y'all have a better suggestion? The new laptop is has the same RAM, more SSD, and is faster than the old laptop, so it doesn't HAVE to be just a travel laptop.

In the past I used FreeFileSync, a folder comparison and synchronization tool to sync my systems. Free File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, Freeware, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software | Allway Sync – File Synchronization That Works and File Sync & Backup Software | GoodSync look similar. Should I use one of these tools like I did before, or is there a better solution? Note that I don't want an always-synced setup (I think?) -- I want to move from one active laptop to another, and back again. I don't think I want to try to sync the travel laptop back to the home laptop dynamically, since that might place a lot of load on iffy airport/hotel/etc wifi connections. It also seems like it would open security concerns. But it would be really handy to just grab the small laptop any time I wanted a computer outside of my office. Maybe the best way to do that it just to have it be my ONLY computer.

:)

garyfritz, Dec 29, 2017

2. E90 without email sync to Lotus Notes?

Many thanks for this "bad" news.

This means I have to find another tool to sync my mails.

Have a good day!

Michael

roxette---01, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Good Diagnostic tools for WP7 Mango?

I'm looking for a source WP diagnostic tools, especially a network monitor. I don't see any on the Marketplace yet.

Anybody know of an alt. source or anything in progress? I'd like to be able to monitor apps to see who is using how much data, for example.

Alternately, is there a list of known "data-hogs" anywhere? I know Yahoo had an issue a while back -- Hotmail have that same issue?

(FYI: I'm looking at a daily data upload of 30-50Mb that doesn't *appear* to be linked to actual activity (similar to

this
    ). I have to assume this is an app sync somewhere, but I don't see it, unless Hotmail/FB is somehow doing a full two-way sync every so often, which would be weird).

HTC Titan, 7.10.7720.68

Thanks!

Circus_Alchemist, Dec 29, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

If you were happy using freefilesync and it worked for you, go back to it, seems to do what I tell it to do. *Nerd

dmholt57, Dec 29, 2017
  5. clam1952 Win User
    Just watch the bundled junk with FreeFileSync, plus defender quarentined the last update before I had a chance to decline the junk! said it contained Open Candy. Create Synchronicity (free) works well about as fast as FreeFileSync, Microsoft's Sync Toy works well but a bit slow. Been testing a few out.

Used FreeFileSync for years, not too happy that they are now bundling rubbish with it though.

clam1952, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Its so much simplier than all that save files to Google drive or onedrive have the apps on both machines and thats it it will sysnc all on its own no need to mess about and it gives you 33 gig of storage and you can get your files anywhere in the world

Samuria, Dec 30, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    I finally simply got FreeFileSync pay-for version for all three computers; best small monies ever spent! No more rubbish, rather, auto-updates now. FreeFileSync works very well for me now.

RolandJS, Dec 30, 2017
  8. garyfritz Win User

Yes, I figured someone would suggest that. But I often synced gigabytes of data back & forth, and I don't want to do that over a net connection. A one-step "sync home -> travel" operation (or reverse) is simple, and I don't have to worry about it syncing without my knowledge and maybe going the wrong direction. Maybe the Google/etc sync tools are smart enough for that to work transparently... not sure. I'm willing to be educated / convinced if that's really the best answer.

Didn't realize there WAS a pay version. I guess that's the "donation" option. I'll do that if I decide to use FFS.

garyfritz, Dec 30, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    I forgot to mention FFS's pay-for version is paid for through...drumroll...donation section; Gary, thanks for the reminder. *Smile

RolandJS, Dec 30, 2017
  10. clam1952 Win User
    Unfortunately the donation only lasted for a few months then it goes back to bundled rubbish again, I got one automatic update then it reverted again, gave up on that and just watch out for the tick boxes! Might get another donation next year from me not every couple of months though!.

clam1952, Dec 30, 2017
  11. RolandJS Win User
    Thanks for the heads-up, clam! I will be watching closely my pay-fors over here.

RolandJS, Dec 31, 2017
  12. garyfritz Win User
    OK, it sounds like other than @Samuria, everybody seems to think my spit-and-baling-wire solution is the best way to do this. Thanks folks!

garyfritz, Jan 1, 2018
  13. Tony K Win User

If these are both Windows 10 laptops and used for business, then I agree with Samuria. Hopefully these drives are encrypted and with using OneDrive there couldn't be a easier more carefree way of maintaining the systems within the MS environ.

My 2c anyway.

Tony K, Jan 1, 2018
  14. garyfritz Win User
    They are both W10. I use them both for business (and personal), but not in a corporate environment. It's just my one-man business.

garyfritz, Jan 4, 2018
  15. garyfritz Win User
    Ugh. I decided to use GoodSync because FreeFileSync had a few things that annoyed me. So I synced all my data and started using the new laptop, and then I realized many files and folders were somehow "unaccessible." Couldn't open them with editors or any other file-access tool. Can't browse into most folders. Folders have the Read-Only flag set (with a "square" in the Read-Only box, not a check) but I can't clear it. I asked GoodSync support for help, and the closest I got to an answer was "Just clear all the read-only flags." No, I don't want to throw away the security information -- and I can't anyway. "That's Windows' fault, it controls the permissions." Funny, "Windows" didn't do this when I used FreeFileSync.

For some reason SOME files/folders are accessible, and I've been using Thunderbird & other things for a few days. Now I'm going to have to extract those changes from the new laptop -- and hope GoodSync doesn't corrupt my source data too -- and start over with FreeFileSync. Not impressed.

garyfritz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Good tools for syncing to another PC? - Similar Threads - tools syncing another

2. is this pc good

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is this pc good: my specs to be purchased is ryzen 3 2200g rtx 3070 8gb ram 128 gb ssd am4 motherboard 650w 80+ broze psu 1080 p 60 fps monitorthis is recommened by shopkeeper https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-pc-good/11a82a83-b3f4-446b-93c2-66b53f06e044
  3. Having error on creation tool for USB to install to another PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having error on creation tool for USB to install to another PC: Hello there, I just need help with this error. 0x80070020 - 0x90018 this appears when I'm about to download the creation tool to the flash drive. I've also checked if my flash drive has enough space. Flash drive seems to be working cause I also tried checking the files...
  4. Sync Outlook to another PC

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Sync Outlook to another PC: I subscribe to Microsoft 365 Personal and can install it on all of my devices. I just purchased a Microsoft Surface GO 2 with 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and Intel Core m3 processor. I was looking at "Code 2 Outlook Sync" and contacted them with a question. The response I got was...
  5. Sync calendar from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync calendar from one PC to another: Hi there !! I really really need help!! My HP model 14BS153OD is dying a slow and painful death and will be having it's death rattle soon. Before it is dead as a door nail and in the trash heap, the only thing I am concerned about at all is my calendar....
  6. syncing excel with another comp

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    syncing excel with another comp: I just bought excel and need to sync it with my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syncing-excel-with-another-comp/9e6f4fd3-b84a-4bb2-8117-b32108b4e2e9"
  7. Good cleaning tool for windows ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Good cleaning tool for windows ?: I want some suggestions , i really need a good cleanup tool for windows , because you all know , useless files appear in your pc everyday and they will just make your pc slower . Sometimes I use the disk cleanup tool integrated in windows , but i dont think it is good enough...
  8. Syncing with another laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Syncing with another laptop: I recently visited my someone and borrowed their computer and needed to log into my Microsoft account to access an excel spreadsheet. I was sure to sign out from my account before closing Excel. Two days later, i turn on my own laptop at home and I now have that persons...
  9. Best backup and sync tool

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best backup and sync tool: That was it! It was FAT32. I deleted the old image files x4, and re-formated that USB stick to NTFS, and created a new image on that. Now I have one backup image file. Thank you : ) Glad it worked out!
  10. New Tools is this a good or bad thing ????

in Windows 10 Support
    New Tools is this a good or bad thing ????: New tools promise to unlock the potential of Windows 10 Mobile and Lumia smartphone. Can Windows Phone Internals bring the hacker community back to the fold? Windows Phone has a very ironic history. Back in the mid-2000s it was the operating system for hackers, tinkerers...