Windows 10: Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

Discus and support Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I need to backup my computer. It was quite a while ago, but I've used Goodsync in the past and remember it being really good. I just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by varxtis, Apr 28, 2020.

1. varxtis Win User

Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

I need to backup my computer. It was quite a while ago, but I've used Goodsync in the past and remember it being really good. I just purchased/installed the most recent version. But I am very confused about the difference between "Backup" and "Synchronize", and between "File to sync" and "Right". I need to know how to take files from "Source" and copy them to "Destination". I want the files to overwrite pre-existing files in "Destination". But if "Destination" has files that "Source" doesn't, I dont want them deleted. Though, I'd also like to know how to do the same process, except DO delete files in "Destination" that "Source" doesn't have.
    I created a job with a "Backup" type, but when it analyzes, it shows files that look like they might be deleted if I process it. This is where the "File to sync" and "Right" come into play. Do I "sync"? Do I "right"? how do I know what to do. "Backup" type says that it includes the deletion of files. So does that mean that if "Source" has files 04-13, and "Destination" has files 01-10, then after "sync" process, "Destination" will now have files 04-13? With 01-03 having been deleted? I want this option for sure, but I need to know how to make it where "Destination" ends up with files 01-13, files 04-10 having been updated.

I definitely don't want "Destination" files to have any effect on "Source" Files, unless of coarse I created a new job. So, I don't see "Synchronize" as being the option I want.

Ive seen a couple of youtube videos that demonstrate the very very very basics of creating a job, but they don't go into situational explanation.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Windows 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.778)
    Goodsync 11.1.6.9 (x64)

:)

varxtis, Apr 28, 2020
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

1. Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup - Similar Threads - Goodsync confused Synchronize

2. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  3. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  4. Goodsync OR?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Goodsync OR?: I have been using Goodsync for the last few years but they have double the yearly subscription, I use it to back up my files and folders from one external hard drive to another, so anyone know any another programs that will do a similar job? 179605
  5. Confused about Backup Strategies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  6. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.: I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file....
  7. Backup confusions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup confusions: I have CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE on my external hard disk do I need to opt for SET UP BACKUP option? Also is it important to create SYSTEM REPAIR DISK, what does it do and can't i create it in same external hard disk? And how to check if system image has been created properly?...
  8. Confused about backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about backup: [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders...
  9. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...