Windows 10: Google - Better protection against Man in the Middle phishing attacks

Discus and support Google - Better protection against Man in the Middle phishing attacks in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We’re constantly working to improve our phishing protections to keep your information secure. Last year, we announced that we would require JavaScript... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Google - Better protection against Man in the Middle phishing attacks

Source: Google Online Security Blog: Better protection against Man in the Middle phishing attacks

:)

Brink, Apr 18, 2019

2. phishing scam?

Hi Marie,

There are different types of Phishing scam, and the one that you received might be probably a
    "Deceptive Phishing" or "System Reconfiguration Attacks". For you to prevent receiving a phishing email and to be more aware about scams, we suggest that you report it by following the steps on this
    link. There are tips as well on the said link on how to determine a phishing email.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Carter325 Win User
    Phishing attacks

Since purchasing a new Windows 10 / Edge PC less than a month ago, it has undergone two phishing / malware attacks.
    The perpetrators would like you to think that their messages are Microsoft generated (I have screenshots if anyone is interested).
    Note that both Windows Defender and McAfee LiveSafe are active on this machine.

Is there a way to block these attacks? Thank you.

Carter

Carter325, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Rob Koch Win User

Phishing attacks

There is currently a thread pinned at the top of the Virus and Malware, Windows Defender forum where discussions relating to the Edge browser Start page (part of MSN) receiving such phishing attacks, including "Technical Support" scams, had occurred in depth.

This example shows clearly that these attacks are most typically occurring via the advertising networks and certain specific ads displayed by the primary website being visited, in this case MSN.com.

So the point here is that the malware purveyors have moved from attacks delivered directly from websites that they've previously infiltrated and injected with malware to sending often non-malicious (e.g. no true malware) web page popups containing phishing
    or other scam related content.

With these popups the use of anti-malware applications tends to be less effective, since there's no true malware involved to detect. Though some security applications such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and possibly others attempt to detect and block these
    via the scripts or other content, this has seen varied success and doesn't truly get at the root of the problem.

Looking more closely at the problem, it soon becomes evident that those who've chosen to move away from leaving a browser open on popular websites that contain advertising, such as MSN, Yahoo or similar news sites, are having fewer issues. That's because
    the built-in Windows 8.1/10 or 3rd-party applications they're often using aren't directly browser driven, so the advertisements are typically handled differently as well.

If you're not willing to make this drastic of a change, the other option is to look seriously at the Privacy settings in the browser and Windows itself relating to privacy and advertising.

Phishing and similar attacks are typically targeted at those individuals or user accounts seen as likely to respond, so configure Windows to not "Let apps use your Advertising ID..." and limit other types of tracking via browser settings such as "Send Do
    Not Track requests..." to sites visited or "block Third-party Cookies". These settings will make any advertisements displayed less likely to be of personal interest, but also less likely to be chosen as a potential target for these phishing popups.

Ad Blocker applications may work at least partially, but have the negative effect that they tend to slow the browser and are really just treating the attack after the fact, while the above settings keep the user and/or PC they're using from being chosen
    as a target in the first place. Or in the case of not using the web browser, avoiding the problem altogether.

None of these techniques are foolproof, but they are the easiest solutions available until you can completely make the transition away from the now outdated and problematic web browser as a method for accessing daily information via the Internet.

Rob

Rob Koch, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Google - Better protection against Man in the Middle phishing attacks - Similar Threads - Google Better protection

2. phishing attack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    phishing attack: My computer has been showing occasionally that there's some sort of Microsoft scan that has been run and I need to call Microsoft to take my computer back. I immediately turn off my computer to get out of it. I have McAfee running for security protection. I know that this is...
  3. phishing attack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    phishing attack: My computer has been showing occasionally that there's some sort of Microsoft scan that has been run and I need to call Microsoft to take my computer back. I immediately turn off my computer to get out of it. I have McAfee running for security protection. I know that this is...
  4. Best protection for windows 11 virtualization against malwares, viruses and phishing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Best protection for windows 11 virtualization against malwares, viruses and phishing...: Which option will give the best protection against malwares, viruses and phishing attacks on my Windows 11 pc? Is it enabling ‘Core isolation’ on windows system or enabling ‘Hardware virtualization’ from Kaspersky Total Security’ which I installed as anti-virus in my...
  5. Google Pac-Man

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Pac-Man: Back in 2010, Google celebrated Pac-Man's 30th w/a playable doodle on the Google main page. Back then, I was able to download a local version to play; & I have from time to time w/o any problems. To play this local version correctly, sound needed to be enabled. A snippet...
  6. Protecting against resource-heavy ads in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    Protecting against resource-heavy ads in Google Chrome: Chrome is developed to be fast and responsive without harmful or annoying experiences. Recently, following the Better Ads Standards, we have taken steps to address ads that most people find unacceptable. Prior to that, we also launched a set of protections against abusive...
  7. Phishing Attack?

Phishing Attack?: I keep getting this message, should I be worried? It started while I was working and checking hospital websites. I have checked svchost.exe with VirusTotal which came up negative. [img] 150293
  8. Better password protections in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    Better password protections in Google Chrome: Many of us have encountered malware, heard of data breaches, or even been a victim of phishing, where a site tries to scam you into entering your passwords and other sensitive information. With all this considered, data security has become a top concern for many people...
  9. Phishing attacks

Phishing attacks: Since purchasing a new Windows 10 / Edge PC less than a month ago, it has undergone two phishing / malware attacks. The perpetrators would like you to think that their messages are Microsoft generated (I have screenshots if anyone is interested). Note that both Windows...
  10. Windows 10: protection against recent Depriz malware attacks

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: protection against recent Depriz malware attacks: A few weeks ago, multiple organizations in the Middle East fell victim to targeted and destructive attacks that wiped data from computers, and in many cases rendering them unstable and unbootable. Destructive attacks like these have been observed repeatedly over the years and...