Windows 10: Google breaks Gmail attachment names in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Google breaks Gmail attachment names in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft’s new Chromium-based Edge browser has been in public testing for more than a year and it’s a lot like Chrome, which also uses Chromium. Using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 9, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Google breaks Gmail attachment names in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft’s new Chromium-based Edge browser has been in public testing for more than a year and it’s a lot like Chrome, which also uses Chromium. Using Chromium and Blink rendering engine was supposed to help with compatibility, but some Google services are reportedly not working properly in Edge.

As some people have discovered, Google services sniff ‘Microsoft Edge’ in the user-agent header and spurious warnings are displayed.

All browsers including Edge, Chrome and Vivaldi have their own ‘User Agent, which is a line of text that is sent from the browser to the website that you open.

The User Agents are used to present a better experience for the particular browser by the websites. While User Agents are a great way to improve the web browsing experience, it has been misused by some web developers and even the bigger tech companies.

In 2019, users noticed that Google is blocking Google Meet, Google Docs, YouTube Music and other services in Microsoft’s Chromium-based browser, and changing the User Agent to ‘Chrome – Windows’ from ‘Edg – Windows’ makes the page work just fine.

It appears that the search engine giant’s services are still sniffing Microsoft Edge and few other browsers. As noted by Microsoft Edge engineer Eric Lawrence, Google’s Gmail sniffs the Chromium Edge and it incorrectly returns the name of the attachments.

“When found, GMail returns a |Content-Disposition: attachment| header with a filename encoded incorrectly, resulting in Unicode characters being replaced with underscores,” Lawrence said.

According to Microsoft engineer, Google may have a bad UASniff-to-NonStandardsBehavior table somewhere and the approach they’re serving in Chromium Edge should be used for IE8 and lower.

“When they see the “Edg/” token in the User-Agent, they encode the Filename attribute of the Content-Disposition header using raw bytes rather than RFC-specified encoded UTF8,” he noted.

Google breaks Gmail attachment names in Microsoft Edge Gmail-attachment.jpg

As a result, the attachments with Unicode texts are saved with an incorrect name in Microsoft Edge.

Another Chromium-based browser Vivaldi has had similar issues with Google services, which they resolved by displaying a User Agent that appears to be identical to Chrome.

“Google services sniffing for “Vivaldi” was a big part of the reason behind us dropping the user agent altogether in our last update,” the company said.

While this could be termed as another accident or misunderstanding, Google does have a tendency to “outfox” other companies.

The post Google breaks Gmail attachment names in Microsoft Edge appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 9, 2020
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Gmail and Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge is a web browser. It doesn't deliver the mail. It only connects you to Gmail. If you're having a problem with Gmail, I suggest Google's official

GMail Help Forum

BulldogXX, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Pawan1709 Win User

download files attached to gmail

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Community.

I understand how you feel about the situation. Let me assist you in resolving the
    issue.

• Do you get any error message while downloading or attaching a file?
    Method 1:

I suggest you clear the Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on theMore actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Edge.

2. Select Settings and click on
    Choose what to clear.

3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on
    Clear.

I suggest you to contact the Gmail support for further assistance on the issue.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan1709, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Google breaks Gmail attachment names in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Google breaks Gmail

2. Latest update Microsoft Edge breaks Microsoft Edge!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest update Microsoft Edge breaks Microsoft Edge!!!!: I just updated Microsoft Edge latest version today and Microsoft Edge breaks Microsoft Edge!!! I'm using Windows 10 22H2 with all latest windows updates installed and all latest drivers installedhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai8aFaKrl5o...
  3. Microsoft Edge and Google

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge and Google: I have tried to sync everything between Microsoft Edge and Google but my passwords are not being imported no matter what I do and password manager in Edge is worse than useless. I cannot now log in to my outlook as Edge does not recognise my password even though I have...
  4. Microsoft Edge and Google

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge and Google: I have tried to sync everything between Microsoft Edge and Google but my passwords are not being imported no matter what I do and password manager in Edge is worse than useless. I cannot now log in to my outlook as Edge does not recognise my password even though I have...
  5. Microsoft Edge and Google

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Cannot attach Word doc to gmail or upload to Google Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot attach Word doc to gmail or upload to Google Drive: Neither can I upload documents to Google Drive, so pretty sure it's an File Explorer issue. I can attach PDFs and other file types.I have an HP laptop running Windows 10.I already tried the following:Opened Gmail in a different browser both Chromoe and Firefoxfollowed all the...
  7. You can now send emails as attachments in Google Gmail

in Windows 10 News
    You can now send emails as attachments in Google Gmail: What’s changing You can now attach emails to other emails in Gmail without downloading them first. [img] To insert emails in a new thread, drag and drop them into the draft window. [ATTACH] Another way to insert emails in a new thread is to select the emails and then...
  8. shortcut for gmail in microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcut for gmail in microsoft edge: Can I create a shortcut on Microsoft edge for gmail account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-for-gmail-in-microsoft-edge/9d7affcb-1684-4335-b5d3-6434b87b5254
  9. Attachments in Gmail are defaulting to Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Attachments in Gmail are defaulting to Edge: I got a return label e-mailed to me in Gmail. When I click on the attachment to either download it, or open the PDF, I get error messages. I am on Gmail in Chrome. If I try to download, it says I cannot do this (open Edge) under the Administrative account, switch accounts. If...
  10. windows 10 edge and Google gmail:

in Browsers and Email
    windows 10 edge and Google gmail:: I recently upgraded my Toshiba Laptop to Windows 10 from 7 Pro. When running gmail with Windows Edge browser, and a few tabs open, when I click the close icon, I get the choices of close all tabs, or cancel, whereas in explorer I had choices of close the current tab or close...