Windows 10: Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage

Discus and support Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Let’s talk about two facts. One, Google Chrome is the most popular and feature-rich browser out there. Two, Google Chrome is a memory hog. It eats into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Aug 1, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage

Let’s talk about two facts. One, Google Chrome is the most popular and feature-rich browser out there. Two, Google Chrome is a memory hog. It eats into your RAM as if it is a tasty cookie. Google Chrome has received a ton of updates over the years and none of them reduced its RAM usage. But the latest update changes things. With Chrome 68, Google has finally added a feature to reduce its RAM usage.

The feature is called Page Lifecycle API. It reduces the RAM usage when you have multiple tabs open at the same time. It does this by suspending web pages that are in the background and also the ones you haven’t opened in a while. This reduces the RAM usage and the load on the CPU, making the browser less resource hungry.

Google released the Chrome 68 update last week but didn’t mention anything about the Page Lifecycle API. The web pages running in the background will be paused until you return back to the website.

“It allows browsers to more aggressively optimize system resources, ultimately benefiting all web users,” Philip Walton, a programmer working for Chrome explains.

“Browsers today already do take active measures to conserve resources for pages in background tabs, and many browsers would like to do a lot more of this to lessen their overall resource footprint. The problem is developers currently have no way to prepare for these types of system-initiated interventions or even know that they’re happening. This means browsers need to be conservative or risk breaking web pages,” says Google.

The obvious issue with low-cost devices is that they have limited memory, less processing power, and small storage space. But websites these days are getting more powerful and resource hungry. So the only thing that can be done is browser optimization.

Page Lifecycle in Google Chrome works the same way background apps are managed in smartphones. Apps that are not used frequently will be prevented to run in the background. But with browsers, there is a catch. The web developers would have to enable this in their websites for Google Chrome to do its magic.

The feature is also said to work on Progressive Web Apps (PWA) as said by Alex Russel in a Twitter post. That would mean better performance for PWAs.

PWAs can use the new page lifecycle APIs to store state and rehydrate like native apps. Exciting! https://t.co/VCl4iqTCKM

— Alex Russell (@slightlylate) July 26, 2018

Update Google Chrome to the latest version by going to the Settings and clicking on About option.

The post Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Aug 1, 2018
  2. Xylee Del Win User

problem uninstalling google chrome

Hi,

Since you already uninstalled Google Chrome using the Programs and Features, Google notifications may still be running in the background processes. We suggest that you follow these steps on how to end the Google Chrome process:

• On your keyboard, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • Under Processes, locate Google Notifications or Google Chrome.
    • Right click on them and select End Task.
    • Double check under Programs and Features if Google Chrome is completely gone.

Let us know if these steps worked.

Xylee Del, Aug 1, 2018
  3. Windows 10 and Google chrome problems

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As you have mentioned that now you rolled back to windows 7 ultimate.I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check.

Uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome and check

To uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome follow the steps given below.

• Press start button.

• Select Control Panel.

• In Control Panel , Click on
      Programs

• Then Click on Programs and features.

• Select Google Chrome and Click Uninstall button
    Uninstall Chrome prompt dialog appears and the further uninstallation process continues if you click uninstall button. Once Google Chrome gets uninstalled, you can download and install Google Chrome from its official website,
    and check if issue persists.

If issue still didn’t get resolved by the above mentioned steps, I would also suggest you to post the query in Google support forums for more help.

Get help from the Chrome community:
    https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en#topic=3421642

Hope this helps, if you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help.

Ashish Sondhi, Aug 1, 2018
  4. Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage

Google chrome doesn't react

Thank you for that information.

Since you were able to use Google Chrome without any issues using a different Internet connection, there is a possibility that Google Chrome is not responding when connecting to your Internet connection.

For us to isolate and resolve this issue, we suggest that you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1:
    Reset Chrome settings to default

Disclaimer: The Reset Google chrome Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset google chrome Settings
    feature. Resetting Google Chrome isn't reversible, and all previous settings are lost after reset.

Step 2: If you are able to open google chrome follow the steps from this

article
    to back up the bookmark.

Try to export the bookmark from google chrome.

Step 3: Reset Windows Update Components.

These are services that Windows Update needs to make sure it's working effectively.

If the issue still persists, don't hesitate to inform us and we'll be happy to further assist you.

Acelyn Alc, Aug 1, 2018
Thema:

Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage

1. Google Chrome 68 gets a new feature to reduce RAM usage - Similar Threads - Google Chrome gets

2. How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser: Technically Chrome uses a lot of RAM and bandwidth compared to other browsers. As I have a lot of tabs opened in a single window , how can I still reduce the RAM usage without deleting the tabs. I have posted a question and tried to provide innovative solution to google...
  3. How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser: Technically Chrome uses a lot of RAM and bandwidth compared to other browsers. As I have a lot of tabs opened in a single window , how can I still reduce the RAM usage without deleting the tabs. I have posted a question and tried to provide innovative solution to google...
  4. Google Chrome update finally reduces RAM usage on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome update finally reduces RAM usage on Windows 10: Last month, we reported that Google has been internally testing a new feature that could significantly reduce memory usage on Windows 10. With Chrome 89, which is now available for download, the search giant has finally enabled ‘PartitionAlloc-everywhere’ support for its...
  5. How can I reduce the Google Chrome CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I reduce the Google Chrome CPU usage: How can I reduce the Google Chrome CPU usage [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-reduce-the-google-chrome-cpu-usage/f304e122-4875-4f36-a353-ef27f15bc587
  6. Need Help Reducing RAM Usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help Reducing RAM Usage.: I have had my PC for a while and its slowly been slowing down.. In the first SS it shows the processes using my RAM In the second SS it shows the RAM usage and the numbers dont seem to add up Is there some Cache i dont know about that should be cleared or is there something...
  7. Chrome could reduce its RAM usage on Windows and other platforms

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome could reduce its RAM usage on Windows and other platforms: Google Chrome is one of the most resources hungry apps on Windows and it eats more RAM if you install extensions or keep too many tabs opened. Google needs to work on resource management for Google Chrome and a new feature is being internally tested in Canary builds, Google...
  8. How to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum?: Hi. My PC runs slow. When I click on Task Manager, I always see a High CPU usage from Windows Defender and Google Chrome. Any suggestion to reduce Windows Defender and Google Chrome CPU Usage to the minimum? Thanks Francesco...
  9. Google could reduce Chrome’s memory usage on Windows, other platforms

in Windows 10 News
    Google could reduce Chrome’s memory usage on Windows, other platforms: In addition to tab groups, Windows Mixed Reality support and dark mode implementation, Google is now also working on a new feature that’s supposed to reduce the memory usage of Chrome. Chrome has a bad reputation for hogging memory and it appears that the search engine giant...
  10. Google Chrome 68 will now mark HTTP as 'not secure'

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome 68 will now mark HTTP as 'not secure': Security has been one of Chrome’s core principles since the beginning—we’re constantly working to keep you safe as you browse the web. Nearly two years ago, we announced that Chrome would eventually mark all sites that are not encrypted with HTTPS as “not secure”. This makes...