Windows 10: Google Chrome and pinning GMail to Start Menu after 1511

Discus and support Google Chrome and pinning GMail to Start Menu after 1511 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I notice an unpleasant GUI-level change that appears after the upgrate to 1511. The issue seem to exist on all machines after 1511 upgrade.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by AndreyT, Nov 13, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

Google Chrome and pinning GMail to Start Menu after 1511

I notice an unpleasant GUI-level change that appears after the upgrate to 1511. The issue seem to exist on all machines after 1511 upgrade.

Firstly, Google Chrome shortcut pinned to Start Menu now appears on dark gray tile, instead of the regular "color accent" tile. Is this a bug or a feature?

Secondly, an attempt to pin the Chrome-generated GMail shortcut to Start Menu immedaitely loses its dedicated icon and gets a regular Chrome icon instead. E.g. before the upgrade it was possible to pin the GMail link to the Start Menu and it would retain its GMail icon. After the upgrade it is no longer possible to keep the icon.

This is ugly. Is there any known workaround for this behavior?

:)

AndreyT, Nov 13, 2015
  2. BrucePyle Win User

No more website icons pinned to Start menu after 1511 build update

Syed,

Sorry, that didn't change anything.

If I pin a website to the Start Menu using Edge, it just displays the Edge icon and not the website icon.

If I add a website to the Taskbar using Chrome, it does display the website icon in the 'Chrome Apps' folder. When I then pin that site to the Start Menu, it reverts to the Chrome browser icon.

Again, not critical, but it was very convenient to see the pinned website icons in the Start Menu before the Build 1511 upgrade.

-Bruce

BrucePyle, Nov 13, 2015
  3. Install Google to taskbar in windows 10

Would like to add a shortcut to Google (not chrome) to the windows 10 taskbar. It's in the start menu, albeit without the graphics, however it will not pin to the taskbar. How do I pin Google to the taskbar????

asdhyipwerotuwef5n6gv[4p5btu]-rd6wnv] t8r'4pqe9ut, Nov 13, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

I'm not sure why it got moved to "Browsers and Email", since the issue in this case is with Windows, not with Chrome. Another example of (apparently the same) Start Menu pining issue is trying to pin the desktop Visual Studio 2015 shortcut to Start Menu. The shortcut pins successfully, but unfortunately loses its icon. The standard Visual Studio icon gets replaced with some default blank icon.

Google Chrome and pinning GMail to Start Menu after 1511 [​IMG]

In other words, after 1511 update many "non-trivial" shortcuts lose their icons when pinned to Start Menu.

AndreyT, Nov 13, 2015
  5. chrislufc Win User
    Same tile colour issue for me...

Hope there's a fix soon, it's certainly not good for my OCD *chuckle

chrislufc, Nov 13, 2015
  6. ARB
    ARB Win User
    I have this problem too, which is even worse for someone like me...

7. Go to the folder that has chrome.exe in it. It will be a subfolder of google in your program of program286 folder. Find the file visualelementsmanifest.xml and erase it. Then go to each of the wrong icons and change it to something other than the one you want, than change it back. It's a drawn out process, but as far as I can tell is the only way. What is still happening tho is that visualelementsmanifest.xml comes back, but only effects the icon for chrome.exe. Your others stay. I haven't figured out how to keep that from occurring. Something to do with chrome updates.

fishersman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Google Chrome and pinning GMail to Start Menu after 1511 - Similar Threads - Google Chrome pinning

2. Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening: Hi guys,We are running Windows Server 2016 Standard. I have a problem that Google Chrome and any browser other than Internet Explorer cannot open. When I click, nothing happens.Same thing with Start Menu. I suppose if we fix Start menu, it will fix the rest of the...
  3. Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google Chrome/Start Menu etc. not opening: Hi guys,We are running Windows Server 2016 Standard. I have a problem that Google Chrome and any browser other than Internet Explorer cannot open. When I click, nothing happens.Same thing with Start Menu. I suppose if we fix Start menu, it will fix the rest of the...
  4. Google Chrome Icon Disappearing from start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Chrome Icon Disappearing from start menu.: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/geax5ovi6ui61.png?width=642&format=png&auto=webp&s=38c31514f33248e8bf005d9f62fe782464ec4e70 The Google Chrome icon keeps disappearing from my Start menu. The app has an icon in program files folder, in the taskbar and also in the start...
  5. A bug in Google Chrome/Gmail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A bug in Google Chrome/Gmail: I cannot understand that Microsoft knew about this bug several months ago and after many attempts with Microsoft support people to fix the issues of Gmail and Microsoft Edge not saving user names/passwords ..... was to no avail!! I found this yesterday:...
  6. Google Chrome closes after start?

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome closes after start?: Hello... I downloaded Chrome, and it closes the minute you open it. I restarted my pc, reinstalled Chrome, but it doesn't work :( However, when I open the Task Manager, 6 tabs are displayed very briefly... Ask for help! I am at the end ;€ Google Chrome schließt nach Start?
  7. Unable to sign in to Gmail using Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to sign in to Gmail using Google Chrome: In Windows 7 I had 2 different email accounts. One was with ATT Yahoo and the other in Google Chrome. I have a new laptop running Windows 10. My Att yahoo account in Windows 10 is fine but when I go to Chrome it is asking me to set up a new email account. If I try to log...
  8. Google Chrome selection change in desktop and sometimes in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Google Chrome selection change in desktop and sometimes in start menu: A few days ago, when I chose to select the Google Chrome program from the desktop, instead of taking me to the typical Google format with a rectangular Google bar and several selections underneath, I was taken to a landscape selection with no areas to do any searching or...
  9. Google Chrome icon blank in Win 10 start menu

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome icon blank in Win 10 start menu: Hi there. Every time Google Chrome updates, the icon of the program goes blank in Windows 10 start menu (see attached picture). I know how to fix it temporary, but are there any permanent fix to this as the issue returns ever so often? 137604
  10. Issues with Start menu icons after 1511

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with Start menu icons after 1511: Hi guys how are you? I have an issue after the upgrade to 1511 build, it was made via Windows Update Take a look at the image, the icons now at the start menu have diferent colors , before all had the same color , the grey one just like the team viewer icon for example...