Windows 10: Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control

Discus and support Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft and Google are racing to add new performance-centric features to their browsers. While Microsoft Edge has sleeping tabs, added several months... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Apr 29, 2023.

1. WinLatest New Member

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control

Microsoft and Google are racing to add new performance-centric features to their browsers. While Microsoft Edge has sleeping tabs, added several months ago, Google Chrome recently gained support for a similar feature called “memory saver” to free memory storage on desktop platforms.

Google Chrome for Windows is set to upgrade its memory-saving capabilities with a new optional toggle called tab discard control”. The browser was recently updated with a Memory Saver feature that frees memory from inactive tabs.

In February, Google confirmed that it is committed to optimizing the performance of Chrome and introduced two new settings that can reduce memory usage by up to 40% and save up to 10GB of memory. Soon, you can control the time before a tab is discarded in Chrome.

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control Chrome-Memory-Saver.jpg
    Chrome Memory Saver notification

By enabling the flag “Configure discard time for Memory Saver,” you can choose from a range of discard timings, including default, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 6 hours, and 12 hours. This will allow you to customize the browser’s performance according to your needs and preferences.

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control Chrome-Memory-Saver-Tabs-Discard.jpg
    Configure discard time for Memory Saver in Chrome | Image Courtesy: WindowsLatest.com

Chrome’s Memory Saver mode is similar to Microsoft Edge’s sleeping tabs in nature, and it is beneficial for users with multiple Chrome tabs that they intend to revisit later.

By freeing up memory from inactive tabs, Google hopes to ensure a smooth experience for websites being actively used in the browser. At the same time, it will allow you to run other apps, including resource-intensive apps.

It is worth noting that inactive tabs will be reloaded automatically when needed, and the upcoming timer toggle gives you greater control.

Chrome to copy Microsoft Edge’s dimming animation for inactive tabs

That’s not all, though. The search engine giant is also set to introduce a new dimming animation for inactive tabs, signalling users when a tab has been discarded. This feature will resemble Microsoft Edge’s sleeping tabs effect, providing a visual cue to users about the status of their open tabs.

For example, you’re working on a research project and have multiple tabs open, some for scrapping Wikipedia and others for collaborating with team members in Teams. The rest of the tabs will become inactive as you focus on one or two active tabs.

With Chrome’s new dimming animation feature, you’ll notice that inactive tabs start to dim, indicating that they have been discarded to save memory.

This visual cue helps you manage your open tabs more effectively as you switch between tabs.

In addition to these performance improvements, Google Chrome could also gain support for Windows 11’s Mica material, which makes the app title bar look more attractive.

The post Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Apr 29, 2023

2. Windows 10 and Google chrome problems

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As you have mentioned that now you rolled back to windows 7 ultimate.I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check.

Uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome and check

To uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome follow the steps given below.

• Press start button.

• Select Control Panel.

• In Control Panel , Click on
      Programs

• Then Click on Programs and features.

• Select Google Chrome and Click Uninstall button
    Uninstall Chrome prompt dialog appears and the further uninstallation process continues if you click uninstall button. Once Google Chrome gets uninstalled, you can download and install Google Chrome from its official website,
    and check if issue persists.

If issue still didn’t get resolved by the above mentioned steps, I would also suggest you to post the query in Google support forums for more help.

Get help from the Chrome community:
    Google Chrome Help

Hope this helps, if you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help.

Ashish Sondhi, Apr 29, 2023
  3. LEOPEVA64 Win User
    Latest Google Chrome released for Windows

Google has already added 'Memory Saver' and 'Battery' sections to the new Performance page (Canary):

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control [​IMG]

LEOPEVA64, Apr 29, 2023
  4. LEOPEVA64 Win User

Latest Google Chrome released for Windows

The name of the 'Snooze tabs' feature will change to 'Memory Saver', and what it will do is discard tabs that have been in the background after a certain time, when the user clicks on any of the discarded tabs, a chip will appear in the address bar for a few seconds:

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control 3ee680710b35a51fd2974f40d6ebd7f1f106d3a75ec088f29ee98fa943251b01.gif

The user will be able to add specific pages to a list of excluded sites, on those sites the tabs will not be discarded.

Google has also added the 'In-Product Help' dialog for Battery Saver mode, clicking Settings will open the new 'Performance' page in the Battery section:

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control 374846d1662732230t-latest-google-chrome-released-windows-iph-battery.png

By the way, the 'Performance' entry is already available in Settings (in Canary), but for now the page is empty:

Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control 374852d1662733116t-latest-google-chrome-released-windows-empty-perf.png

LEOPEVA64, Apr 29, 2023
Thema:

1. Google Chrome for Windows upgrades memory-saving with tab discard control - Similar Threads - Google Chrome upgrades

2. Windows 11 Open Tabs in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Open Tabs in Google Chrome: Good morning, I would like to update to windows 11 in the coming days. My laptop is currently running windows 10. As I have a lot of important tabs open in Google Chrome I would like to keep them also after the upgrade. Is that possible? If not, could I just save them as...
  3. Windows 11 Open Tabs in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Open Tabs in Google Chrome: Good morning, I would like to update to windows 11 in the coming days. My laptop is currently running windows 10. As I have a lot of important tabs open in Google Chrome I would like to keep them also after the upgrade. Is that possible? If not, could I just save them as...
  4. Windows 11 Open Tabs in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My google chrome is controlled by the organization

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My google chrome is controlled by the organization: Hi, i just got rid of the akward ygl search virus this is an app in the store DONT BUY IT it is a total scam/virus so now i got rid of it but it is still 1 thing left in my settings i show a picture below.How do i get rid of it???? Thanks for helping!fe...
  6. is that a google chrome tabs?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is that a google chrome tabs?: the number beside google chrome, is that how may tabs you have open? or what? because i only have 2 tabs open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-that-a-google-chrome-tabs/e2a376d1-e8f8-4739-a5b7-4d2e63794770
  7. Introducing tab groups in Google Chrome to keep tabs on your tabs

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing tab groups in Google Chrome to keep tabs on your tabs: Coming to Chrome: a new way to use tabs There are two types of people in the world: tab minimalists who have just a few tabs open at a time and tab collectors who have...significantly more. For minimalists and collectors alike, we’re bringing a new way to...
  8. Google Chrome not saving passwords on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome not saving passwords on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]It has been reported by some users that Google Chrome browser does not remember accounts and login sessions. Simultaneously, it doesn’t save passwords. If you are facing this problem, don’t worry, it’s common – and we have the solution for [...] This post...
  9. Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome: How to: Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome How to Export Saved Passwords in Google Chrome You can have Google Chrome remember your passwords for different sites. Whenever you sign in to a website, Chrome asks if you want to save your account info for that site....
  10. Manage Saved Passwords in Google Chrome for Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage Saved Passwords in Google Chrome for Windows: How to: Manage Saved Passwords in Google Chrome for Windows How to Manage Saved Passwords in Google Chrome in Windows You can have Google Chrome remember your passwords for different sites. Whenever you sign in to a website, Chrome asks if you want to save your account...