Windows 10: Google Chrome is crashing on Windows 10 – here’s the fix

Discus and support Google Chrome is crashing on Windows 10 – here’s the fix in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A bug in the latest update today sees the Google Chrome browser consistently crash on Windows 10, according to numerous user reports. This issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 21, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Google Chrome is crashing on Windows 10 – here’s the fix

A bug in the latest update today sees the Google Chrome browser consistently crash on Windows 10, according to numerous user reports. This issue affects Google Chrome on Windows 10 only and users haven’t flagged the same problem with the macOS or Linux versions.

This crash occurs in Chrome 90 randomly and there doesn’t appear to be a pattern, but some users have flagged at least specific circumstance. After loading the extension or when the extensions are loading, Google Chrome will immediately crash on Windows 10.

When this happens, a system prompt might appear and you could also suddenly find yourself on the desktop. In some cases, Chrome launches properly but extensions, settings pages, and tabs are crashing, as shown in the below screenshot.

Google Chrome is crashing on Windows 10 – here’s the fix Google-Chrome-crash.jpg

Chrome issues:

• Browser refuses to launch.
    • Untitled window/tabs.
    • Extension crashes abruptly with the error “click this balloon to reload the extension.

I’ve personally encountered the crash as well, but Chrome has started working on my device after I rebooted Windows. However, restarting Windows or browser is not enough to address Chrome crashes in all configurations.

The bug was first flagged by users yesterday on Google forums and social media sites.

“I have the same issue and have been searching for solutions on the internet for an hour when I came across this thread. Maybe this is a widespread issue? I feel a little relieved now tbh cause I tried all those suggested solutions but none worked,” a user wrote in a forum post.

Fortunately, Google seems to be aware of the issues. On the forums, a Google product expert reported that the issue is due to the “User Data directory”, which is used to store information.

How to fix Google Chrome crashes bug on Windows 10

To stop Chrome from crashing, follow these steps:

1. Repair Google Chrome installation by running the setup file again.
    2. Enable sync in Chrome for history, bookmarks, passwords, etc.
    3. Close the browser.
    4. Open File Explorer.
    5. Navigate to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data
    6. Delete “Local State” file after taking backup.

If Chrome is still crashing, try these steps:

1. Open File Explorer.
    2. Navigate to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data
    3. Backup everything and store a copy in another drive.
    4. Rename the “User Data” folder to something completely unrelated.
    5. Relaunch Chrome.

If nothing works, there’s a third workaround as well:

• Uninstall Google Chrome by navigating to Control Panel.
    • Delete Google folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\local
    • Delete Google folder in C:\Program Files (x86)
    • Open Registry Editor and delete registry items under Google.
    • Look for registry keys in these two locations: “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google” and “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google”
    • Reinstall Chrome.

Alternatively, you can also switch to Microsoft Edge or use beta builds of Chrome where the bug has already been fixed.

For the stable channel, it will presumably be resolved with a minor update in the coming hours.

The post Google Chrome is crashing on Windows 10 – here’s the fix appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 21, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Google Chrome crashes

Hi,

As per the description, I understand that the Chrome browser crashes. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check whether you are able to repair Google Chrome and check if that helps.

In Search, enter Control Panel and select Control Panel.

• Select Programs > Programs and
      Features
      , and then select the program.
    • Select Uninstall to remove the program.
    • To fix the program, select Repair or, if that’s not available, Change.
    • Follow the directions on the screen
    If the repair option is not present, you may uninstall and reinstall the application and check if that helps.

If the issue still persists, it would be better if you contact the Google Chrome support for further assistance.

Hope the provided information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Tenforo, May 21, 2021
  3. Tenforo Active Member
    google chrome crashes in Windows 10

Hello Diane,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

What is the exact error message when Google chrome crashes?

I understand chrome crashes in Windows 10. The issue might arise due to various reasons, including system file corruption or due to user profile corruption.

In order to troubleshoot the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption.
    SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Tenforo, May 21, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Windows 10 and Google chrome problems

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As you have mentioned that now you rolled back to windows 7 ultimate.I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check.

Uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome and check

To uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome follow the steps given below.

• Press start button.

• Select Control Panel.

• In Control Panel , Click on
      Programs

• Then Click on Programs and features.

• Select Google Chrome and Click Uninstall button
    Uninstall Chrome prompt dialog appears and the further uninstallation process continues if you click uninstall button. Once Google Chrome gets uninstalled, you can download and install Google Chrome from its official website,
    and check if issue persists.

If issue still didn’t get resolved by the above mentioned steps, I would also suggest you to post the query in Google support forums for more help.

Get help from the Chrome community:
    Google Chrome Help

Hope this helps, if you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help.

Tenforo, May 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Google Chrome is crashing on Windows 10 – here’s the fix - Similar Threads - Google Chrome crashing

2. Google Chrome will not update and Google Chrome Help suggested I ask here.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome will not update and Google Chrome Help suggested I ask here.: I have tried every solution that I can possibly find but I have not been able to update Chrome for a couple of years now and now other apps have become incompatible with the version that I have."An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start error...
  3. Google Chrome will not update and Google Chrome Help suggested I ask here.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google Chrome will not update and Google Chrome Help suggested I ask here.: I have tried every solution that I can possibly find but I have not been able to update Chrome for a couple of years now and now other apps have become incompatible with the version that I have."An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start error...
  4. google chrome is crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome is crashing: Hey good morning everyone,I am Aniruddh here, what happens here is, whenever I open a tab on chrome, there are some points on the page which will make chrome non-functional. I have attached a pic of the normal tab and the tab that appears after the problem. and after this...
  5. google chrome is crashing

google chrome is crashing: Hey good morning everyone,I am Aniruddh here, what happens here is, whenever I open a tab on chrome, there are some points on the page which will make chrome non-functional. I have attached a pic of the normal tab and the tab that appears after the problem. and after this...
  6. Google to fix Chrome’s annoying RAM-usage, crashes on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google to fix Chrome’s annoying RAM-usage, crashes on Windows 10: With the release of the Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004), Microsoft made improvements to the ‘Segment Heap’ feature in the OS and added support for desktop (Win32) programs like web browsers. Segment Heap was also introduced for Chromium open source project and...
  7. Google Chrome Crashing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Google Chrome Crashing on Windows 10: Upon opening the Google Chrome Browser, the browser kept crashing after 5 seconds the window closed. The only way to fix it was to delete the google folder from the appdata, local folder, under IT guidance. Is this a Microsoft Operating System problem or a Google Chrome...
  8. Google chrome crash

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Google chrome crash: Hi, I would like to ask about something. I had google chrome crashed on my old windows version, so after downloading the new windows version, if I transferred the old APP data files of the old google chrome to the new windows, might that cause the google chrome to crash...
  9. Google chrome crashes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google chrome crashes: Hi, I've had my pc for a year now and the start of this year my Internet is always crashing whenever I open Google or the Internet explorer for a few minutes or even when I open a new website after it's crashed previously. I checked the performance of the Internets...
  10. windows 10 crashes google chrome

windows 10 crashes google chrome: Help to fix this problem please, please note I have dementia so I am a bit slow. Ta https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-10-crashes-google-chrome/beb31a2a-bdba-4edc-acfc-0415028e8e49