Windows 10: Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall

Discus and support Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello all, Ever since this morning Google Chrome decides to crash upon opening (black page with sadface error icon in the top left). Yesterday it was... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by NessPJ, May 28, 2021.

1. NessPJ Win User

Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall

Hello all, Ever since this morning Google Chrome decides to crash upon opening (black page with sadface error icon in the top left). Yesterday it was working fine. There are no clear steps to follow on how to fix this (i tried googling). I'm using Windows 10 version: 20H2 What i tried so far: - Uninstalled Google Chrome - Manually checked in \Program Files\ and \Program Files (x86)\ that its really gone. - Ran CCleaner and checked Google Chrome settings excep for Bookmarks/saved passwords - Ran CCleaner registry cleaner - Ran Malwarebytes scan - Restarted my PC - Did a fresh install from the official Chrome installer I reopen up Google Chrome... the app instantly greets me with the same error message. - When i start Google Chrome with the "-incognito" variable the incognito mode opens but i get the same error message right away. Any idea why this is happening? I attached a screenshot of all that i'm seeing... the rest of the screen is blank. - - - Updated - - - Well i did something quite rigorous but that did fix it: - I uninstalled Chrome - Manually zipped the entire folder containing user settings (C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Google\ ) - Manually deleted the entire folder containing user settings - Restarted the PC - Reinstalled Chrome using the official installer - Manually moved the Bookmarks and Settings file back from the .zip file i made (eg. \Google\Chrome\User data\Default\Bookmarks) Now it works again, its just that all my autocomplete info and existing sessions to websites i frequently visit are gone...

:)

NessPJ, May 28, 2021
  2. NMI
    NMI Win User
  3. Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall

I'm having the same problem. It started on 20/05/2021.

Blank screen, the open tab title says: Crashed or Trashed not sure with sad face. No of the extensions load, can't access any site not even the settings (chrome://settings) to do a restore \ reset.

What I've tried:

- Uninstall chrome, restart, install chrome again using the online installer (default) and offline installer.
    - Deleting the user profile:
    C:\Users\ricardo\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
    - Starting chrome without experiments (extensions?):
    chrome.exe --no-experiments
    - Incognito mode
    - System Restore to an earlier date where chrome was still working.

Nothing worked.

I noticed that after I unistalled chrome I tried to delete this folder without success:
    %programfiles% (x86)\Google
    Error: Folder is being used by another program

So I restarted from a Flash drive with Windows instalation, got into the recovery environment, commad prompt and the deleted the "%programfiles% (x86)\Google" folder from there, got back to Windows, reinstalled chrome and this time it worked.

To get my stuff back after installing chrome I activated sync and loged in to my google account.

But now I'm having the same problem on another computer and I'm wondering if there is a simpler way? Thanks in advance if someone can help.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to be a major problem with version 90 of Google Chrome:

Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall k8VLH7Y.png

Major fix is to use a Beta Version of Chrome:
    Download Google Chrome Beta - Google Chrome

Other possible fixes:

- Uninstall Chrome with the option: 'Delete all browsing data'
    - Uninstall Chrome and Delete Folders:
    • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data -> "Local State"
    • C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\local\Google
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Google

- Delete Registry Keys:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google

- Reinstall Google Chrome

They also said that the problem will probably be fixed in a couple of hours in the main version (90).

ricardobohner, May 28, 2021
  4. NessPJ Win User

Hello all,

Ever since this morning Google Chrome decides to crash upon opening (black page with sadface error icon in the top left).
    Yesterday it was working fine.
    There are no clear steps to follow on how to fix this (i tried googling).

I'm using Windows 10 version: 20H2

What i tried so far:
    - Uninstalled Google Chrome
    - Manually checked in \Program Files\ and \Program Files (x86)\ that its really gone.
    - Ran CCleaner and checked Google Chrome settings excep for Bookmarks/saved passwords
    - Ran CCleaner registry cleaner
    - Ran Malwarebytes scan
    - Restarted my PC
    - Did a fresh install from the official Chrome installer

I reopen up Google Chrome... the app instantly greets me with the same error message.

- When i start Google Chrome with the "-incognito" variable the incognito mode opens but i get the same error message right away.

Any idea why this is happening?

I attached a screenshot of all that i'm seeing... the rest of the screen is blank.

- - - Updated - - -

Well i did something quite rigorous but that did fix it:

- I uninstalled Chrome
    - Manually zipped the entire folder containing user settings (C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Google\ )
    - Manually deleted the entire folder containing user settings
    - Restarted the PC
    - Reinstalled Chrome using the official installer
    - Manually moved the Bookmarks and Settings file back from the .zip file i made (eg. \Google\Chrome\User data\Default\Bookmarks)

Now it works again, its just that all my autocomplete info and existing sessions to websites i frequently visit are gone...

NessPJ, May 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall - Similar Threads - Google Chrome Keeps

2. Reinstalling Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Google Chrome: In an effort to get over problems I was experiencing following an update on Windows 11 64bit on my desktop PC i uninstalled my Google Chrome browser. Now I am finding it impossible to reinstall it Firewall turned off and I have also tried allowing the Googleupdate.exe through...
  3. Reinstalling Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Google Chrome: In an effort to get over problems I was experiencing following an update on Windows 11 64bit on my desktop PC i uninstalled my Google Chrome browser. Now I am finding it impossible to reinstall it Firewall turned off and I have also tried allowing the Googleupdate.exe through...
  4. How to reinstall the google chrome

How to reinstall the google chrome: please help i uninstalled my google chrome app in my laptop because it didnt open. i was having a hard time finding the google chrome app in my setting but when i found it in apps setting i cannot reinstall please help me out...
  5. google chrome is crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    google chrome is crashing: Hey good morning everyone,I am Aniruddh here, what happens here is, whenever I open a tab on chrome, there are some points on the page which will make chrome non-functional. I have attached a pic of the normal tab and the tab that appears after the problem. and after this...
  6. google chrome is crashing

google chrome is crashing: Hey good morning everyone,I am Aniruddh here, what happens here is, whenever I open a tab on chrome, there are some points on the page which will make chrome non-functional. I have attached a pic of the normal tab and the tab that appears after the problem. and after this...
  7. Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall

Google Chrome - Keeps crashing immediatly even after reinstall: Hello all, Ever since this morning Google Chrome decides to crash upon opening (black page with sadface error icon in the top left). Yesterday it was working fine. There are no clear steps to follow on how to fix this (i tried googling). I'm using Windows 10 version: 20H2...
  8. Google Chrome keeps crashing on start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Chrome keeps crashing on start: I finished my pc build today and installed chrome. It was working well and all but then it crashed for some reason. I tried to reopen it but again it crashed on start. I then deleted all files and things related to Chrome and Uninstalled it. Then after I reinstalled jt, it...
  9. Google chrome crash

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Google chrome crash: Hi, I would like to ask about something. I had google chrome crashed on my old windows version, so after downloading the new windows version, if I transferred the old APP data files of the old google chrome to the new windows, might that cause the google chrome to crash...
  10. Google chrome crashes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google chrome crashes: Hi, I've had my pc for a year now and the start of this year my Internet is always crashing whenever I open Google or the Internet explorer for a few minutes or even when I open a new website after it's crashed previously. I checked the performance of the Internets...