Windows 10: Google Chrome on Windows 10 Pro, multiple blank icons on taskbar after wake up

Discus and support Google Chrome on Windows 10 Pro, multiple blank icons on taskbar after wake up in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After a regular boot, start Google Chrome, now there is one large icon for Chrome in the lower left of the desktop near the Windows icon. Click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Morbo19, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Morbo19 Win User

Google Chrome on Windows 10 Pro, multiple blank icons on taskbar after wake up

After a regular boot, start Google Chrome, now there is one large icon for Chrome in the lower left of the desktop near the Windows icon.

Click Windows icon, click power icon, click Sleep. Sometime later, wake up from sleep. For more than a year this worked normally.

Starting 2019 March 26, there are now multiple blank icons for Chrome and the number increases with each wake up:

Google Chrome on Windows 10 Pro, multiple blank icons on taskbar after wake up 361b79c0-66a5-4796-931d-7444a99814ba?upload=true.png

The above image is a partial screen capture, notice the lines. Clicking on the non-blank Chrome icon works normally to display the Chrome

window or minimize. Hover on any of the blank icons will flash the non-blank Chrome icon, also there's no window preview. When the Chrome

window is already displayed, clicking a blank icon will flash Chrome's tab area near the top of the window; when Chrome is minimized, clicking any blank icon will display the Chrome window.

After wake up, roughly every 10-20 minutes the desktop will flash and a set of normal icons get rearranged while the blank icons remain

consecutive. Independently, sometimes the one normal Chrome icon goes blank and later reappears. Firefox was added for testing.

A blank icon for Firefox never happens. The blank icons for Chrome always happen after wake up, independent of whether Firefox was running.

What is needed to restore the normal pre- March 26 behavior without any blank icons and without desktop flash + icons being rearranged ?

BTW: this is not a pin vs unpin issue; there are no items pinned to the taskbar;

running "sfc /scannow" reports no issues, both quirks remain.

:)

Morbo19, Mar 31, 2019
  2. Hugh Tash Win User

how do I change google chrome icon?

If you want to change Google Chrome icon that is shown on the Windows Taskbar once Google Chrome is started, then you should follow this link:

Is it possible to customize taskbar icons? If so how?

The answer is given in comments: you need to change icons that are stored in chrome.dll using Resource Tuner (use Trial version) or Resource Hacker (free).

I've used IcoFX (Trial version) to generate various .ico icons.

Currently I'm running 4 separate instances of Google Chrome v37.0.2062.124. One instance is installed and three other instances of Google Chrome are portable, downloaded from:

Google Chrome Portable (web browser) | PortableApps.com

Here's how my Windows 7 Taskbar looks like when all 4 instances of Chrome are opened:

Google Chrome on Windows 10 Pro, multiple blank icons on taskbar after wake up a024621496637cbdc2ad85324ed5e8e07b9f5453.jpg

Hugh Tash, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Double Google Chrome icon on the taskbar - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps:

Method 1: Unpin Google chrome and end restart explorer.exe from task manager.

1. Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

2. Go to Processes Tab and find
    explorer.exe

3. Right-Click on Explorer.exe and select
    End Task.

4. After some time, click on Windows key + R to go to the run command and type "explorer.exe" and click enter.

Now try and pin the it again using Drag and Drop. Drag Google Chrome icon towards the taskbar and then drop it on taskbar.

Method 2: If this doesn't help, I would suggest you run an SFC Scan and see if it helps.

Follow the steps to run the System File Checker

• On the Search bar type “cmd” and click
      ctrl + shift + Enter to open the Elevated Command Prompt. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit Command Prompt.
    For more information about SFC Scan click on the link below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Mar 31, 2019
  4. HoanCu Win User

Double Google Chrome icon on the taskbar - Windows 10

Hi,

Follow these simple steps:

1. Open Chrome

2. After having 2 Chrome icon, Unpin the icon that's not open

3. Right click the other, choose pin from taskbar

Next time you click Chrome it won't appear 2 icon on the taskbar.

Hopefully it works for you.

Dears

HoanCu, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Google Chrome on Windows 10 Pro, multiple blank icons on taskbar after wake up - Similar Threads - Google Chrome Pro

2. Windows 11 taskbar icons showing blank after waking the computer up after sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar icons showing blank after waking the computer up after sleeping: Icons pinned to the taskbar are blank after logging into the computer after it has been asleep. See picture below. After a restart all icons are back. System tray and desktop icons don't have the problem. Only items pinned to the taskbar. Red in picture is my notes. Hovering...
  3. Windows 11 taskbar icons showing blank after waking the computer up after sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 taskbar icons showing blank after waking the computer up after sleeping: Icons pinned to the taskbar are blank after logging into the computer after it has been asleep. See picture below. After a restart all icons are back. System tray and desktop icons don't have the problem. Only items pinned to the taskbar. Red in picture is my notes. Hovering...
  4. Blank Windows 10 Icon In Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Windows 10 Icon In Taskbar: hi, i'm experience some problem only in my user account, the other user account not, several app like settings, microsfot store, and built in app icon are appear blank in my taskbar and appear as white paper icon in my start menu, i tried to rebuild icon cache by deleting...
  5. Blank Windows 10 Icon In Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank Windows 10 Icon In Taskbar: hi, i'm experience some problem only in my user account, the other user account not, several app like settings, microsfot store, and built in app icon are appear blank in my taskbar and appear as white paper icon in my start menu, i tried to rebuild icon cache by deleting...
  6. Google Chrome with Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Google Chrome with Windows 10 pro: Why won't google chrome work with my Windows 10 pro that I just added to my desktop? I updated my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro and now google chrome will not work. What is a work around this where I am still using Windows 10 pro? Please help!!!!...
  7. Google Chrome Icon

Google Chrome Icon: I uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome. My cursor wasn't visible and I was trying to see if that would fix the problem. When I reinstalled and opened google, the icon in the taskbar had a little user icon next to it when I reinstalled it. [ATTACH] It doesn't seem...
  8. Google Chrome icon blank in Win 10 start menu

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome icon blank in Win 10 start menu: Hi there. Every time Google Chrome updates, the icon of the program goes blank in Windows 10 start menu (see attached picture). I know how to fix it temporary, but are there any permanent fix to this as the issue returns ever so often? 137604
  9. Google Chrome icons.

Google Chrome icons.: I keep getting a google chrome icon with a grey head in it on my computer. I understand this icon is for multiple profiles (whatever that means). I want to get rid of it. Internet advice says go the wrench in the top right hand corner of your screen, but Windows 10 has no...
  10. 7+ Taskbar Tweaker duplicate blank taskbar icons for Chrome

7+ Taskbar Tweaker duplicate blank taskbar icons for Chrome: On both my Windows 10 home PC and work computer, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker causes duplicate buttons on the taskbar of Chrome that turn invisible: [img] As you can see in the image, there are two blank icons in front of the Chrome icon. Both of these are working and open...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. googel crome on win 10 white icon on taskbar

2. two google chrome icons in taskbar on boot

3. chrome windows 10 taskbar icon blank

4. chrome causing taskbar icons to go blank