Windows 10: Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop

Discus and support Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First of all - Really stupid from microsoft forum/admins of forum is that: Locking the thread which never got solved. For me - I did not find solution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MikkoMuhis, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop

First of all - Really stupid from microsoft forum/admins of forum is that: Locking the thread which never got solved.
    For me - I did not find solution for this problem via the topic which was already made out there, so I just copy pasted the tittle and made this new topic.

Secondly, back to the problem itself: "Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop"

Atleast for me, the solution seems to be that when you have a internet url shortcut (.url) made:
    1) Right click the shortcut to open menu
    2) Click "Open with"

3) If needed, click "More apps.."
    4) Instead selecting Chrome or other browser by their name, select "Internet Browser"
    5) Make sure Chrome (or other browser) are set us Default browser.

- OR The very same thing as above can be done also as below -

1)=Click whatever "button with four windows" or "ex-start" button (I don't know of it because microsoft removed text from it)
    2) Start writing "default apps" and click "Default apps" to open it.
    3) Scroll the window down to reveal "hidden settings" as "Choose default apps by file type" and click it.
    (ps. and offtopic: I think it supposed to write as "a file type", not "file type", it's missing the "a" because file types are not liquid or gas based like water, air, OR. write it as "default apps by file types)

4) Scroll all almost the way down until you find .url (Yeah, scroll down for minute because Microsoft haven't yet figured out to make a searching tool in 2019 Q4)
    5) For the .url, choose "Internet Browser" - instead Chrome or other browser by their name.

Back to the first thing I mentioned in the first place of this topic:
    Some basic stuff how internet+forums works:
    1) People get a problem and they use search engines to find the problem and solve for it
    2) People find their way to read forums to solve the problem
    3) Microsoft/admins of their forums locks their threads - so no one able to comment on it, especially stupid when the problem remin unsolved.
    4) People make a new question - exact same question to solve exact same problem.
    5) New people later with exact same problem does the very same, making new topics to forums again and again and again and people via search engines reads the topic and another one and another one - instead reading the very one and same topic.

I don't think this issue is directly reason of chrome - especially when it worked before but on later windows versions it just stopped to work and reinstalling whole windows and web browsers did not solve anything for me. I think it's issue caused by Microsoft Windows - how it sends files to open for apps. Chrome seems to understand and urls are working correctly when url files are send to chrome via Default Browser settings - instead directly to open as Chrome, which windows is trying to do - as default.

:)

MikkoMuhis, Nov 26, 2019

2. google chrome older shortcuts not opening

Hi,

Had this problem for a while now with google chrome browser, I can create new shortcuts to desktop and they work fine but older ones still will not open the icon etc is there but it only opens to the google page, I have uninstalled chrome,reset it etc but
    nothing seems to work, I have switched to Brave browser for now but i prefer chrome if i can sort the shortcut issue out,

Any help would be greatly appreciated as as always.

Thanks

Kevin

KevinMurray9, Nov 26, 2019
  3. Google Chrome Shortcut in Desktop/Taskbar won't load

I use Google Chrome as my search engine.
    I downloaded the program and have been using it since I got this computer about 5 weeks ago.

I had a shortcut on my desktop and one on my taskbar at the bottom.
    I also had an app in my charm bar in the windows window in the bottom left or whatever the popup is being called now...

A couple of days ago the Chrome shortcut went from the familiar Google colors to a white, blank sheet of paper in the taskbar. I tried to reload it but I keep getting a message about an error code.

I tried to open the program from the programs file and create a shortcut for the desktop but I get the same error code.

I can still search with google using the blank piece of paper looking icon in the taskbar and I get google when I cut on the computer. But I want the shortcut and the familiar looking google colors back.

I was going to delete the program and reload it but I don't want to lose all the bookmarks I have already loaded.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks.

RaymondWindoz10, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop

Desktop icons open in Google Chrome

Desk top icons open/shortcuts go to Google chrome

JeananneReed, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop

1. Google Chrome - Shortcut will not open from desktop - Similar Threads - Google Chrome Shortcut

2. google chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google chrome will not open: Restarted my computer and now Google Chrome will not open up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-will-not-open/ac556932-f95f-4c55-887f-dbe4c5984b43
  3. Desktop icons open in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons open in Google Chrome: Desk top icons open/shortcuts go to Google chrome https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-open-in-google-chrome/623c3d54-bd7f-489e-9e69-a3c07466eeb4
  4. google chrome will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    google chrome will not open: Google chrome will not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-will-not-open/5daf90aa-2128-4caf-9296-d3470efb3b3b
  5. how to put a google shortcut on my desktop with chrome

how to put a google shortcut on my desktop with chrome: I just switched to chrome and I have no toolbar at the top of the page. How do I download a google toolbar or a google shortcut on my desktop...
  6. google chrome older shortcuts not opening

google chrome older shortcuts not opening: Hi, Had this problem for a while now with google chrome browser, I can create new shortcuts to desktop and they work fine but older ones still will not open the icon etc is there but it only opens to the google page, I have uninstalled chrome,reset it etc but nothing seems...
  7. desktop shortcut for google

in Browsers and Email
    desktop shortcut for google: Bottom left says search the web and windows, but it just shows replies from bing. I cant even find how to do a desktop short cut for google. Desktop shortcut used to be so easy. Is W10 going to turn out to be more difficult to used than 8, or is it really easier once you...
  8. Google Chrome Shortcut in Desktop/Taskbar won't load

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome Shortcut in Desktop/Taskbar won't load: I use Google Chrome as my search engine. I downloaded the program and have been using it since I got this computer about 5 weeks ago. I had a shortcut on my desktop and one on my taskbar at the bottom. I also had an app in my charm bar in the windows window in the bottom...
  9. Google desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Google desktop shortcut: Trying to put a Google Desk Top shortcut, not a Google chrome one. Can anyone help please. I am using Windows 10. Cheers. 90872
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome: How to: Create Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome How to Create a Desktop Shortcut of Website in Google Chrome default web browser. This tutorial will show you how to create a desktop shortcut of a website from within Google Chrome in Windows 7, Windows 8,...