Windows 10: Google denies intentionally causing YouTube issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser

Discus and support Google denies intentionally causing YouTube issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A former alleged Microsoft Edge intern recently claimed that Google updated its YouTube website to cause unexpected issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Dec 20, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Google denies intentionally causing YouTube issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser

A former alleged Microsoft Edge intern recently claimed that Google updated its YouTube website to cause unexpected issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser while playing videos. According to the alleged employee, the changes made to YouTube eventually caused Microsoft Edge’s performance to look substantially slower.

The alleged employee claims that Google added a “hidden empty div over YouTube videos” to reduce the performance of Edge browser which uses Microsoft’s hardware acceleration for videos.

Google says this isn’t the case and they don’t make changes to their websites with the intention to defeat optimizations in other browsers. In the statement, Google also concludes that the company handles the reported bugs seriously and fixes them as fast as possible.

“YouTube does not add code designed to defeat optimizations in other browsers, and works quickly to fix bugs when they’re discovered,” a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement. Google emphasises that they engage with other browsers vendors through standard bodies and it also uses the open-source Chromium project to improve the web compatibility.

The allegations

Microsoft has confirmed that they won’t be using its EdgeHTML rendering engine for Blink (a rendering engine mainly developed by Chromium contributors) and the company will also use the open-source Chromium source codes.

There are mixed opinions from the users, developers and critics but as far as a former intern working for Microsoft is concerned, Google is also responsible for Microsoft’s decision to discontinue EdgeHTML.

Google denies intentionally causing YouTube issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser YouTube-on-Edge.jpg

The alleged Microsoft employee who goes by name Joshua claims that Google made frequent changes to its web apps such as YouTube. Some of those changes resulted in performance issues while using the web browsers developed by other vendors such as Microsoft.

The engineer claims that Microsoft decided to discontinue EdgeHTML because they couldn’t catch up with the frequent changes that Google made to its web apps with the intention to break other browsers. “For example, they recently added a hidden empty div over YouTube videos that causes our hardware acceleration fast-path to bail (should now be fixed in Win10 Oct update),” he explains in his post.

Not the first time

It’s not the first time Google has been accused of intentionally degrading the performance of YouTube in other web browsers. Earlier this year, Mozilla program manager Chris Peterson noted in a series of tweets that the performance of YouTube pages is 5x slower in Firefox and Edge than in Chrome.

According to Chris, the redesigned YouTube was using a deprecated shadow DOM API which is only implemented in Chrome. As a result, the performance of YouTube was much slower in browsers not utilizing this solution.

Back in the old days, Google blocked Microsoft’s YouTube app for Windows Phone due to various reasons. The re-launched Microsoft’s YouTube app for Windows Phone was also blocked as Google said that Microsoft didn’t enable a fully-featured YouTube experience and concluded that the app violated their Terms of Service.

Chromium-powered Edge browser

Microsoft recently announced that they are building a new browser that would be using Chromium source codes which is being used by Google’s Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi and other vendors.

The rebuilt Microsoft’s web browser will still use Edge branding and the preview version of the new browser will be ready in early 2019.

The post Google denies intentionally causing YouTube issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Gino Des Win User

Microsoft Family blocking youtube and google

To help us pinpoint the root cause of the issue, we would like to know if you also experience the issue with other Google websites? (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.)

Kindly also try to use a new InPrivate window and try to visit YouTube and Google again. Follow the steps below:

• Open Edge.
    • Click on the three dots icon on the upper-right part of the screen.
    • Click New InPrivate window.

We also suggest that you use the Feedback Hub to help us make Windows and Microsoft Family better. You can provide feedback about Microsoft Family by sharing your suggestions or problems.

You can access the Feedback Hub by clicking on Windows Feedback on the app list. You can also type
    Windows Feedback on Cortana.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue.

Gino Des, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Unable to access YouTube websites on Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge on Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the YouTube on Windows browsers, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the web pages?
    • Does this issue specific only with YouTube?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

Try the below workarounds to identify what is causing the issue:

• Try to access YouTube in different browser and check if it is working fine. This will let us know if the issue is with the website/ the Microsoft browsers.
    • Also, try to access different website on Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.

Try the below troubleshooting steps to access the website and check if it helps.

Method 1: For Internet Explorer

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type
      troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click on Internet Explorer Performance
      and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: If the issue is only on Internet Explorer and to specific website, I suggest you to view the website in compatibility view to check if the issue is confined to compatibility.

Steps to view the website in compatibility view:

• Open Internet Explorer
      and open the website.
    • Click on Gear/ Settings icon at the right-top corner of the window.
    • Click on Compatibility View Settings, click on Add
      to add the website and click on Close.
    • Reopen the website and check if the issue persists.

Step 3: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to access the website in
    InPrivate mode and check.

InPrivate Browsing enables you to surf the web without leaving a trail in Internet Explorer. This helps prevent anyone else who might be using your computer from seeing what sites you visited and what you looked at on the web. You can start InPrivate
    Browsing from the New Tab page or the Safety button.

Steps to open the browser in InPrivate mode:

Open Internet Explorer, press Shift+Ctrl+P
    to open the browser in InPrivate mode and try to access the website.

Method 2: For Microsoft Edge:

I suggest you to check if the Adobe Flash player is enabled on Microsoft Edge.

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions
      (...) in the right-top corner of Microsoft Edge window.
    • Click on Settings, scroll down and click on
      Advanced settings
    • Enable Use Adobe Flash Player
    • Check if the issue persists with accessing the YouTube websites.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status to access YouTube website on Microsoft browsers for further

assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 20, 2018
  4. Pavan_N Win User

MS Edge Showing youtube on Mobile version

Hi Mokotus,

Please answer these question to assist you better.

• Which troubleshooting steps are you referring to?
    • Does this issue occurs in Internet Explorer too?
    • Is the issue specific to YouTube?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates and check. Follow the Methods below.

Method 1: Further you can try resetting the Microsoft Edge browser. Refer the steps below to reset Edge.

Steps:-

• First of all launch Microsoft Edge Browser.

• After that click on “More action” option which is visible at top right side of the browser and you will see “Settings” option.

• Under “Settings” scroll down and you will see a button “Choose what to clear” under “Clear browsing data” option.

• Once you click on this option you will see list of feature like
    • Browsing History
    • Cookies and saved website data
    • Cached data and file
    • Download history
    • Form data
    • Password.

If the issue still persists go to next Method.

Method 2: Run the app troubleshooter and check if it helps to resolve the issue

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Do let us know you are able to use YouTube desktop version. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Google denies intentionally causing YouTube issues in Windows 10’s Edge browser - Similar Threads - Google denies intentionally

2. the microsoft edge that new chrome browsers causing DPC Watchdog Violation on youtube...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the microsoft edge that new chrome browsers causing DPC Watchdog Violation on youtube...: I just today had an edge-based browsers causing DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD screen, my gigabyte desktop was working normally I would say most of the summer, now I am getting that problem, I was going to youtube in edge when it happened, I am thinking either some hardware...
  3. the microsoft edge that new chrome browsers causing DPC Watchdog Violation on youtube...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the microsoft edge that new chrome browsers causing DPC Watchdog Violation on youtube...: I just today had an edge-based browsers causing DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD screen, my gigabyte desktop was working normally I would say most of the summer, now I am getting that problem, I was going to youtube in edge when it happened, I am thinking either some hardware...
  4. Edge Browser Issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Browser Issues: I can’t imagine how embarrassing it could possibly be tohave a browser that just doesn’t work. Needless to say I’ve actually given theclass for Windows 2000. I know it was a long time ago and you’ve gotten bettersince then, but hey it really is painful to see this not work...
  5. Issue restricting youtube in edge browser -> useless

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issue restricting youtube in edge browser -> useless: Hi there, I'm using Family Features to restrict time of apps, os and access to internet pages. BUT when I grant access to one video at youtube.com I'm able to watch any video that is linked on that video page. The filter does only apply when going to a video by entering...
  6. Windows 10 S Edge browser not letting me switch to google (search engine). Is it possible...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 S Edge browser not letting me switch to google (search engine). Is it possible...: Hi Reddit. I'm having trouble with my laptop ( Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 1-14-AST-05, Running Windows 10 S version 1909). I'm trying to change the Microsoft Edge browser's default search engine to Google, but where you would normally select it is greyed out and does nothing on the...
  7. Microsoft Edge Known Issue - Adblock causing errors on YouTube

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge Known Issue - Adblock causing errors on YouTube: Hello Insiders, Our Media team has received a number of reports regarding a potential bug, so we wanted to loop you in on our findings. We’ve heard that a number of users who have the AdBlock (Plus) or Adblock for Youtube extensions installed are running into...
  8. google and youtube not open in IE 11 and EDGE.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google and youtube not open in IE 11 and EDGE.: I recently installed internet explorer 11 on my PC. My system uses windows 10. I cannot open search engine page (Google and youtube) Does anyone know why or how I can fix this? Now I live in china boundary! Thanks...
  9. Sudden YouTube Full-Screen Issues with both IE11 and Edge Browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Sudden YouTube Full-Screen Issues with both IE11 and Edge Browsers: I belong to a forum where we sometimes post a music video, and I never had problems until a couple of days ago seeing a video that was downloaded to the forum in full-screen mode. It happens in IE11 and Edge browsers, and just started. A couple of other people are having...
  10. Youtube search results and Edge Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube search results and Edge Browser: Has anybody else experienced this? It only happens when I'm logged in, when I'm not search results are normal. [img] [img] 94111