Windows 10: Google making search results more local and relevant

Discus and support Google making search results more local and relevant in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When you’re searching on Google, we aim to provide the most useful results for your query. Today, around one in five searches on Google is related to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Google making search results more local and relevant

Source: Making search results more local and relevant

:)

Brink, Oct 28, 2017
  2. HappyJon Win User

** UPDATED** Bing Maps POI & search results serious issues!!

From Vancouver, BC Canada. I just upgraded from Iphone 3G to the Samsung Focus on Roger's network.

Eg. if I search for "Best Buy" on the iphone, Google maps would search and feed back results for local POI

Using bing maps on the windows phone I can't find any local relevant POI in my area. "No Results" We couldn't find any matches for your search."

If I do a similar search on bing maps using the browser on the phone it has no trouble finding POI.

After further investigation:

****UPDATE*****

WOW really strange:

Results generated from having my initial location on my home in Richmond, BC (a suburb of Vancouver).

(I noticed that Bing more so than google maps is more restrictive in feeding back results based on where you are)

I kept all settings to region English (Canada)

Except I changed the Browser & Search Engine Language with these results:

Searching for "sushi"

On the iPhone - Google Maps: Gets me 8 local results

On Windows Phone 7 Bing Maps

English (Canada): Gets me 1 result... Sushi, Russia!!!!

English (United States): Gets me 5 local results

English (United Kingdom): gets me 10 local results - Bing does better here

Searching for "Best Buy"

On the iPhone - Google Maps: Gets me 10 local results

English (Canada): Gets me 0 Results!!!!

English (United States): Gets me 0 results!!!!

English (United Kingdom): gets me 10 local results looks identical to the Google maps results

There is a city to the east called Langley where there's a Best Buy. When I search "Best Buy Langley" on the iPhone in Google maps it gets me that location. Correct!

If I search for "Best Buy Langley" under Bing.. (English (United Kingdom)) it gives me Langley, VA... frustrating......
    If I search for "Best Buy Langley" under Bing Maps the Website and not the app it gives me the correct listing.

Searching for "Park"

On the iPhone - Google Maps: Gets me 9 local results

English (Canada): Gets me 2 Results... Park, Kansas and Park, Neatherlands

English (United States): Gets me 10 results.. a bit haphazard... most results outside of my city and one in the USA

English (United Kingdom): gets me 9 local results... similar to iPhone

Searching for "Stanley Park" a famous park in Vancouver

On the iPhone - Google Maps: Zoomed in on my house Gets me 1 result. Stanley park, Colorado *weird*
    Zoomed out to include Vancouver gets me 1 result the correct one Stanley Park, BC

English (Canada): gets me 1 result... the most relevant: the park itself.

English (United States): Gets me 2 results. a hotel near the park, and a Bike rentals shop close to the park.. but not the park
    English (United Kingdom): gets me 1 result... the most relevant: the park itself.

As you can see the English (United Kingdom) Language for Browser & Search Language seems to provide the best results.... Can someone try this in the USA to see if it's affecting you as well.

MS please fix this!! This is highly erratic and strange that I am not getting the correct results with the correct Language.. English (Canada)
    It seems that if you can have the search results match the results generated from Bing Maps Website database all will be fine.
    The Maps app has some serious issues....

** UPDATE 2 **

I have defaulted to English (United Kingdom) for Browser and Search Language for now.. however.. this has it's own set of challenges..

Eg. If you do a "Bing" search for pizza from the start screen using the hardware button

The results fed back from the "Local" tab shows local Pizza restaurants.. however when you scroll to the "Web" tab it gives UK results. eg. www.pizzahut.co.uk, www.dominoes.co.uk

If you switch to English (Canada) and do a "Bing" search for Pizza... it shows "Web" and "News" tabs but no local search results with map and locations

If you switch to English (USA).. you get Local, Web, News tabs

** UPDATE 3 **

With English (United Kingdom) enabled as Search & Browser Languge

I searched for my parent's address with just "1234 200st Langley".. it gave me cities in the UK called Langley

if I am more specific and search "1234 200st Langley, BC" I get the correct address.

If I change to English (Canada) for search and Browser Language

and I search by "1234 200st Langley"... I get the correct address although I'm not being more specific with the Province...

SIGH..

HappyJon, Oct 28, 2017
  3. GPS tracking

Hello Laura Ha, the kind of tracking you are asking about is not a feature of the KIN. Your KIN wireless device has applications that can access and use your current location to provide enhanced and more relevant services and features. If you have allowed
    the Search application to access and use your current location, when you make a "Near Me" search in the search application, your current location data is sent to Microsoft along with the search request to provide local search results and search ads based on
    your current location.

Jorge E. - WP7 Support, Oct 28, 2017
Thema:

Google making search results more local and relevant

1. Google making search results more local and relevant - Similar Threads - Google making search

2. New quick way to learn more about your Google search results

in Windows 10 News
    New quick way to learn more about your Google search results: When you search for information on Google, you probably often come across results from sources that you’re familiar with: major retailer websites, national news sites and more. But there’s also a ton of great information on and services available from...
  3. "Showing results for", "Search instead for" missing in Google results

in Browsers and Email
    "Showing results for", "Search instead for" missing in Google results: Up until recently, when it met the criteria to illicit such a response, I got those suggestions when running a Firefox google search. Now, It only happens in Chrome. I thought it might have something to do with an alteration in my Google account settings, but if that was...
  4. Strange Local Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Local Search Results: I have only had this laptop for three months, which came with Windows 10 home pre-installed. Using the Search box next to the Start icon at the bottom left of the screen, the search results show files (photos, videos, documents) from well before I bought this laptop. For...
  5. File explorer sort search results by relevance

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer sort search results by relevance: How could I sort the search results in file explorer by relevance to the syntax phrase that I wrote in the search bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-sort-search-results-by-relevance/f70d3cbe-21b8-47fe-97d7-05071ad222ae
  6. Google making visual content more useful in Search

in Windows 10 News
    Google making visual content more useful in Search: When Search first began, our results were just plain text. But on February 24, 2000, something changed. It was the day after the Grammy Awards, and we noticed people were searching like crazy for Jennifer Lopez’s green dress. It was clear right away that people were looking...
  7. Deep learning helping to make Bing search results more intelligent

in Windows 10 News
    Deep learning helping to make Bing search results more intelligent: Deep learning is helping to make Bing’s search results more intelligent. Here’s a peek behind the curtain of how we’re applying some of these techniques. Last week, I noticed there were dates printed on my soda cans and I wanted to know what they referred to - sell by dates,...
  8. Google search results on IE11 fault

in Browsers and Email
    Google search results on IE11 fault: After doing a search with Google on IE11, when I click on one of the lower links in the web page displayed, it jumps to the top of the page and can't open the link I want. I know of several other persons who are experiencing the same problem. Anybody suggest any work...
  9. strange Google Chrome search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    strange Google Chrome search results: Hello folks, I recently upgraded my desktop from Win 7 to Win 10 (clean install) but I think that's irrelevant to the issue I'm having. My search results in Google Chrome using Google search look strange (see attachment). When I perform the search on the same machine in...
  10. Use chrome/google as default for search results

in Windows 10 Support
    Use chrome/google as default for search results: How can I -Use chrome/google for search results Currently when we type anything into the taskbar search, it launches Edge + Bing to give the results. I would like it to use google and my chrome browser cos I find it gives better results. 8782