Windows 10: Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!

Discus and support Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it! in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; It seems like every time I reinstall Win10 there's some fresh hell to contend with at the end of the process. This time it's Google via Firefox.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by dortmunder, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!

It seems like every time I reinstall Win10 there's some fresh hell to contend with at the end of the process. This time it's Google via Firefox. Although I change the settings and a popup tells me those changes have been saved, they haven't been - I still end up with SafeSearch 'On'. (There's no problem when using my VPN, however.)

Changing to OpenDNS doesn't help.

Using the Cmd command "nslookup www.google.com" I see that I'm being redirected to forcesafesearch.google.com. I can't understand this as I've installed the same OS and programs as I had yesterday when all was well...

If anyone can tell me what's going on and how to fix it, I'd be really grateful. Thank you

:)

dortmunder, Mar 12, 2018
  2. mrAllen Win User

Looking for Windows 10 Firewall Template

Hello there, I wondering if somebody can provide a W10 firewall template for search-engine.. or have ideas for configure one

OpenDNS doesn't work properly *(I don't know what happened after Cisco acquisition), so I'm using NortonDNS

enForce-safesearch it's so hard to home users, I mean Only google works great...

Bing and Yahoo (worst) cache still showing XXX and other content (also with safesearch), and I don't know about others search engines...

It's a lot of work, configure Bing... I don't want users accounts or parental control...

Main Troubles that I have:

* Somebody can change local DNS (but my router has blocked port 53)

* Can't deny by router firewall https sites, I think best choise it's a w10 firewall rule

* Windows 10 Firewall rule accepts only one IP per config Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it! :(, better with policies?

So, I'm looking to block all search engines except google.. but I have not idea.. there is a lot of domains, and subdomains

I'm tired of internet stupidities. I'm not an expert, and/but people here are not silly.. they can search on google too.. Hosts it's so easy.. I don't want to buy another router or spend on a firewall.

I hope that you can help or suggest..

best regards..

mrAllen, Mar 12, 2018
  3. IE deleted off my computer and being forced to use EDGE after today's window update (KB4074595). Lost my favorites

Which was concluded how?

BeefRWijker, Mar 12, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!

It may be a locale-based restriction: this wikiHow article explains that "Unfortunately, Google sites in many countries no longer allow you to turn off SafeSearch completely." You might want to read that article over, and see if it helps you find some usable workarounds. From my vantage point, looks like a VPN that takes you to the USA or another locale where SafeSearch can be turned off completely might be your best approach.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 12, 2018
  5. Cr00zng Win User
    This surprised me, when I've tested on my system. Basically all browsers, including ToR has the "Safe Search" enabled by default. Since this is Google "Safe Search", stating that Google keeps a browsing history for you/your system may not be unreasonable...

The way around it...

• Login to your Google account and disable "Safe Search"
    • Use Bing search engine (this is how people find explicit content)
    • Use Duckduckgo for search engine and disable "Safe Search" anonymously:
      Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it! [​IMG]
    The chances are that there are other options as well, if you search Google, provided that Google does not deem the link unsafe... *Roflmao2

How did Google become the de-facto Internet nanny? *sarc

Cr00zng, Mar 12, 2018
  6. Plankton Win User
    I use Google Chrome and Firefox and I've never seen this "safesearch" option. I've also never been redirected to a site for safesearch. The fact that a redirect is being used concerns me because that usually means a browser has been hijacked or compromised in some fashion.

I would start looking at your browser for malware or adware intrusions....by using Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner. Then if that's doesn't work....I would uninstall both Chrome and Firefox and then run Ccleaner to remove leftover entries and then re-download fresh copies and re-install them.

Plankton, Mar 12, 2018
  7. Clintlgm Win User
    *Ditto I just looked into my chrome setting and I don't even see a setting for"Google safe search"

Clintlgm, Mar 12, 2018
  8. Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!

The matter is sorted - rather that changing the DNS on my PC, which is what I did to begin with, I've changed the DNS settings on the router (to 9.9.9.9, operated by Quad9). I can now use google without hindrance. I still find it odd, though, that everything was OK with my ISP's DNS up until I reinstalled my OS...

dortmunder, Mar 12, 2018
  9. Cr00zng Win User
    Not to say that the browser connection cannot be hijacked, but...

Safe search is a search engine function, that may look like hijacking, but it's not. It's a content filtering that mostly relies on Google's safe search and built-in to the browsers. Uninstall/reinstall does not change that...

Making Duckduckgo the default search engine, and installing it for the browser in question, does provide and option to disable the safe search:

Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it! [​IMG]

And no, that's not a search for explicit content...*sarc

That's how it should be, instead of forcing people to chase their tails to get around it...

Cr00zng, Mar 12, 2018
  10. Hi,
    Safe search take that with a grain of salt that it's used as stated and not to cull the web for it's own message *Smile

ThrashZone, Mar 12, 2018
  11. Glad you got it sorted. I came across this a while ago myself. For me it was a setting within my Google account, and whenever I was logged in to Google on the search page, my account settings were always what my account was set to even if I tried to change it via the popup/browser option. Once I change my account settings everything stayed the way I wanted.

Bobby Phoenix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!

1. Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it! - Similar Threads - Google SafeSearch I'm

2. I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows: I don't know how to solve this problem Every five minutes it restartsDumpFile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-tired-of-not-being-able-to-use-this-windows/4d326571-2b78-4bfe-80e1-a1dfbbb27580
  3. I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm tired of not being able to use this Windows: I don't know how to solve this problem Every five minutes it restartsDumpFile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-tired-of-not-being-able-to-use-this-windows/4d326571-2b78-4bfe-80e1-a1dfbbb27580
  4. How to enforce Google SafeSearch in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enforce Google SafeSearch in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: If your kids often browse the internet on your computer, you can enforce Google SafeSearch in Microsoft Edge browser using this tutorial. It is possible to turn on Google SafeSearch filters using the Registry Editor and the Local Group Policy Editor. When someone searches...
  5. changing the safesearch fliter

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing the safesearch fliter: HELP I cant change the safesearch setting!!! I get to the page where the options are but they are grey and wont allow my to select the level that I want. what am I doing wrong ? help sophie...
  6. SafeSearch setting not working

in Cortana
    SafeSearch setting not working: Hello, I hope someone here can help me with this issue: When I search for adult content on the windows taskbar a warning appears telling me that the current settings of Bing's SafeSearch is removing all results that could contain adult content, and that to see those results...
  7. SafeSearch setting not working

in Cortana
    SafeSearch setting not working: Hello, I hope someone here can help me with this issue: When I search for adult content on the windows taskbar a warning appears telling me that the current settings of Bing's SafeSearch is removing all results that could contain adult content, and that to see those results...
  8. why am I being force to use a pin number

in Windows 10 Customization
    why am I being force to use a pin number: Please let me know how to stop computer from asking for a pin number? why do you keep asking for me to get a pin number that I do not want? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-am-i-being-force-to-use-a-pin-number/730f9660-8686-460a-9f0c-88cd43d1ca78
  9. safesearch

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    safesearch: how do I lock safesearch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safesearch/fe2696c6-a81d-483a-aea2-ac41c8dbca8d"
  10. changing safesearch setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing safesearch setting: My safesearch setting automatically was changed to strict and when I try to change it back to off the setting states "we've set safesearch to strict because your browser communicated your preference for safe web browsing" How do I fix this?...