Windows 10: Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID...

Discus and support Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 System Google has given me nothing, nearly all the results are from people who were posting a log and it had other errors that were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CyberAkumaZero, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID...

[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]Windows 10 System[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]Google has given me nothing, nearly all the results are from people who were posting a log and it had other errors that were flat-out read failures of a dying drive...... or they were results about MYSQL, which I don't use at least not manually.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]I had just re-assembled a RAID5 array from a dead system, and performed a clone of the drives as a backup. I ran a chkdsk on the backup and got hundreds of "correcting sparse file record segment" messages, though other than cleaning up two or three security entries and index descriptors those were the only errors I got.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba34, 34, 34, 1]Can anyone explain what this is? Is it something to be worried about? Again, this was cloned off a RAID5 disk to a single external drive, is it something to do with the RAID5 metadata itself? I noticed after the fact in the logs that the raid said it was performing a "Patrol Read" at the time of the backup, could that have something to do with it?[/COLOR]

:)

CyberAkumaZero, Mar 22, 2021

2. Attribute record (80, "") corrupt file segments

Keep getting a message that I need to restart to repair something. I restart and the drive is scanned and repair initiated but doesn't fix whatever needs fixing. I run CHKDSK from command prompt and get the following 10 files (see below) showing
    as corrupt. I run /f, and /r and restart but the problem persists. I don't have a backup disc. Computer is about 10 years old AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor but I replaced the hard drive about 4 years ago. Any advice is appreciated!

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.1098]

(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is New Volume.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 64E5

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 12E9D

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 132C8

is corrupt.

Attribute record (A0, $I30) from file record segment ****

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 299AE

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 32825

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 43C23

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 4F10D

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 63E23

is corrupt.

Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 99280

is corrupt.

825856 file records processed.

File verification completed.

41989 large file records processed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Spiralwizard_VA, Mar 22, 2021
  3. Luke Win User
    Identify file name(s) associated with chkdsk corrupt file record segments

I have a Dell XPS15, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Windows 10.

The following are the results from CHKDSK read-only:

Since it cannot continue, does that imply that there may be additional existing errors?

My understanding is that CHKDSK /R will recover 'READABLE' information.
    So, before I run chkdsk /r, is there any way to identify the filename(s) associated with:

• file 7ADAE
    • file record segment 1003F
    • file record segment 21D8F
    • file record segment 74337
    • file record segment 74CF5

Once I identify the filenames I plan on restoring them from a recent backup after running
    `chkdsk /r.

4. Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID...

Recurring portable drive error: 'The sparse flag in standard information attribute in file _______ is not set.'

I have a portable drive that often slows Windows 10 boot. When performing an error check on this drive as recommended after booting (Properties->Tools->Error checking), it will say errors were found on the drive. The Event Viewer Chkdsk summary mentions something like:

The problem is that this error is never fixed but keeps repeating, with a different file identified each time. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this error for good since it slows the boot process?

AverageUser, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID...

1. Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID... - Similar Threads - Got huge amount

2. How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?: Hello Everyone, Call me By Moh I am using a PC passed to me from a family friend, its not really old "6 years according to PC health check". It's an HP notebook running Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 that i have downloaded and installed once i got this PC. The problem is that i...
  3. How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?: Hello Everyone, Call me By Moh I am using a PC passed to me from a family friend, its not really old "6 years according to PC health check". It's an HP notebook running Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 that i have downloaded and installed once i got this PC. The problem is that i...
  4. How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. When I run chkdsk it says "file record segment 3D924 is corrupt" what does it mean? Should...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I run chkdsk it says "file record segment 3D924 is corrupt" what does it mean? Should...: When I run chkdsk it says "file record segment 3D924 is corrupt" what does it mean? Should i have to buy a new hard drive?My system is going into hang many times whenever I turn it on and gives bsod every time it's turned on and restarts after that, it takes too long too...
  6. Huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk

in Windows 10 Support
    Huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk: Windows 10 System Google has given me nothing, nearly all the results are from people who were posting a log and it had other errors that were flat-out read failures of a dying drive...... or they were results about MYSQL, which I don't use (at least not manually). I had...
  7. ran chkdsk now getting the File record segment xxxxx is unreachable error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ran chkdsk now getting the File record segment xxxxx is unreachable error: [ATTACH] Few days back I reset my system, but the reset failed so I tried clean installing the windows but met with errors like "preparing automatic repair" or "startup repair failed" multiple times. So I decided to run chkdsk after going through google for the previous...
  8. File record segment

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File record segment: So I was performing a disk check and I got some bad record segment and is apparently slowing my disk drive. And so while checking I came across these names like 2CD78, 2C90C, 2C90E, etc. And I tried checking on internet and wasn't helpful at all. So I was wondering if there's...
  9. Huge amount of Spam

in Windows 10 Customization
    Huge amount of Spam: Just installed Windows 10 on PC Have active ESET on PC Suddenly my Outlook Inbox is flooded with Spam from all over. Even businesses abroad. How can I control this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huge-amount-of-spam/b6031a1e-98e2-488c-b0cc-b0d536f774af
  10. Attribute record 80, "" corrupt file segments

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Attribute record 80, "" corrupt file segments: Keep getting a message that I need to restart to repair something. I restart and the drive is scanned and repair initiated but doesn't fix whatever needs fixing. I run CHKDSK from command prompt and get the following 10 files see below showing as corrupt. I run /f, and /r and...