Windows 10: Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues.

Discus and support Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I didn't think this would happen, and it's annoying me now. First of all the Windows 10 I have is the free upgraded version. Not only that, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joeynator3000, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues.

I didn't think this would happen, and it's annoying me now. First of all the Windows 10 I have is the free upgraded version. Not only that, but the troubleshooting option and choosing the hardware change doesn't work. It tells me it can't connect to the servers and to try again, and when I do finally get the option to select my device, it simply cannot reactivate and tells me to try again later.

I don't know what else to do, I also keep reading that I should "add account" on the activation page, but I don't see that anywhere. I'm completely lost here...

:)

Joeynator3000, Feb 3, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10: Fitting a new motherboard and CPU

Hi,

Yes, you may change your Motherboard and CPU without a problem. To resolve your issue in case you encounter a problem, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

article
    which you can expand Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
    and you can use an Activation troubleshooter if you get activation errors. The given link is previously provided by
    'Mike P.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 3, 2019
  3. KVPurren Win User
    New cpu+motherboard, Windows 10 Pro no longer activated.

I upgraded my cpu and motherboard today and my windows 10 Pro is no longer activated, I had no idea switching motherboards/cpus deactivated my windows 10 upgrade. Is there anything I can do without having to spend a ridiculous 200 dollars for a new windows
    10?

KVPurren, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues.

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues.

1. Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues. - Similar Threads - Got motherboard cpu

2. Got a new motherboard and can no longer activate windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Got a new motherboard and can no longer activate windows: Just as the title says. I just installed a new motherboard, but I'm using the same drives for my entire computer. As such, my windows activation key is no longer valid, but it should still be able to be used on my current computer. I have the product key available if...
  3. Got a new motherboard and can no longer activate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new motherboard and can no longer activate windows: Just as the title says. I just installed a new motherboard, but I'm using the same drives for my entire computer. As such, my windows activation key is no longer valid, but it should still be able to be used on my current computer. I have the product key available if...
  4. Got a new motherboard and can no longer activate windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  6. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard: I recently needed to replace my failing CPU, and in doing so upgraded, therefore I put in an upgraded motherboard as well. This caused an activation issue with Windows, where it now thinks the key isn't valid because it is used on another device. Additionally, when I try to...
  7. Windows activation issues after replacing CPU/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. New Motherboard Activation issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Motherboard Activation issues: I have recently gotten a new Motherboard (the SSD where Windows is installed has not changed) and I can't get rid of the "Activate Windows" message in the bottom right, I have the original product key but I keep getting error code 0x80041023 whenever I try to enter it and the...
  9. Windows 10 Activation, New motherboard and CPU

Windows 10 Activation, New motherboard and CPU: Hello, I just upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU. I installed a clean copy of windows 10 pro from a USB and skipped inputting a product key/activation code because I do not have one. Before the change, I linked my copy of windows 10 pro to this microsoft...
  10. New motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    New motherboard and CPU: Ok I think I am having to give up on what on earth is wrong with my Ivy Bridge build (2012) and replace the board (and CPU) with either of these Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming3 ATX 1151 Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming3 | shopping express online (impressive price) or Gigabyte...