Windows 10: Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared

Discus and support Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My internal HDD has disappeared after I rebooted my PC. Before I did, I couldn't access to the half of the folders on the root of the directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shenmue is life, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared

Hi,
    My internal HDD has disappeared after I rebooted my PC. Before I did, I couldn't access to the half of the folders on the root of the directory since some hours. Even if I managed to open the other half of folders, I could not open the files inside. Instead, I got this message from Windows 10: "The device is not ready".

Now I can only spot the presence of my HDD in the device manager as "unknown device" under "disk drives" sub-list. My HDD is totally invisible for both Windows 10 Explorer and Crystal Disk Info.

:)

Shenmue is life, Jun 7, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 7, 2020
  3. HDD disappear when used

Hi,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with using your SSD and HDD. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10?
    • What changes were made to your device before this issue occurred?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared

1. Got "The device is not ready" as message, then my HDD disappeared - Similar Threads - Got device ready

2. 'The device is not ready' Error on external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    'The device is not ready' Error on external HDD: So just this morning, my Seagate external HDD started showing a 'The device is not ready' error when I try accessing specific folders or files. It worked fine yesterday and even works fine on a PC with I'm assuming is an old version of Windows 10. It hasn't been damaged...
  3. My HDD keeps disappearing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My HDD keeps disappearing: Recently I had a Windows 10 update on my Asus laptop. After that my internal hard drive D keeps disappearing and sometimes reappears. I tried removing the windows update and reinstall the windows update. But my HDD still keeps disappearing and then I can't even see it in the...
  4. Got "The device is not ready" as message then my HDD disappeared

Got "The device is not ready" as message then my HDD disappeared: Hi, My internal HDD has disappeared after I rebooted my PC. Before I did, I couldn't access to the half of the folders on the root of the directory since some hours. Even if I managed to open the other half of folders, I could not open the files inside. Instead, I got this...
  5. Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access HDD files. Get error message "The device is not ready": Hi, My SSD and external drive are fine but I can't fully access to my 1GB HDD content. I can open some folders but not the files inside. Other folders are impossible to open. When I can't open a folder or a file, I get this message "The device is not ready"....
  6. The device is not ready

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The device is not ready: Hi, When I try to open msconfig and task manager an error message pops up saying C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe "The device is not ready" C:\Windows\system32\msconfig.exe "The device is not ready" Could you help me fix this? Thanks....
  7. HDD disappearing

HDD disappearing: The problem started yesterday it. When I booted my HDD just wasn't there in my windows, although it still was shown in my BIOS after many tries of changing SATA cable with my SDD then changing the place where I plugged it in don't know how many times it just appeared again....
  8. Reading External HDD from Command Prompt - Device Not Ready

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reading External HDD from Command Prompt - Device Not Ready: My HP will not boot to Windows, so I am trying to copy files from my laptop HDD to an external HDD. However from the Command Prompt, when I attempt to switch to the External drive, I get a "The device is not ready" error. I am able to read all drives on the laptop HDD. Do...
  9. Switching harddrives and Getting Devices Ready message

Switching harddrives and Getting Devices Ready message: Hello All I have a Thinkpad W530, which I love. I decided recently to get another used one just in case anything happens hardware-wise to the first one. Because I use this for freelance work, I want to be able to switch drives into the new one and keep working and figure...
  10. Device is not ready

Device is not ready: HI. I recently tried to lock my HD710 external-HDD and then I got a problem in decryption when I wanna use my e-HDD after entering the password I get this error : "Encryption has been stopped Device is not ready" I'm sure that I enter the password correctly and I'm...