Windows 10: Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work

Discus and support Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I made a WIM for 14257 using the ESD to ISO tool trying to fix the DISM/Restorehealth issue. I cannot get it to work. First time ever I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pittguy578, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work

I made a WIM for 14257 using the ESD to ISO tool trying to fix the DISM/Restorehealth issue.
    I cannot get it to work. First time ever I am running into a roadblock.

Am I using the wrong path?

I have the WIM file in a folder in Native C drive...so when I open up C drive with all of the folders. I have a subfolder in the main C directory called sources. I have the install.wim file in that folder. But I am still getting error issues with file not found.

Here is what I am using

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:wim:C:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Is that the right path for me or am I just dense?

:)

pittguy578, Feb 5, 2016

2. Cannot Boot to Windows 10 After an Update From Microsoft

Reset will require a reinstall of Apps, but can preserve your user data. Going back to previous build should preserve everything.

If neither works, or you want to try another approach, you can export a new WIM file from your Windows 10 install USB, which DISM can use to repair Windows. Then sfc /scannow may work to fix things. We could try DISM with the WIM file that is already on
    the install USB, but it usually will complain that it cannot find the source needed (due to the extra compression used on the WIM file on install media).

Don Cuthbert, Feb 5, 2016
  3. CSI Payload Corrupt

Ran dism using another windows system as the source:

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:z:\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I tried with the media creation to MP3 and there was no wim file - esd file instead. I converted that to a wim and got same issue - both with esd:1 and wim:1. Trying now with ISO instead of USB but expect same results.

AllenJensen, Feb 5, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work

Are you trying do a DISM repair on a build 14257 Windows installation? If not, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Please describe the roadblock.

BTW, you might get a little more consistent and cohesive help if you stick in a thread you've started until it's solved rather than abandoning them and starting new threads regarding the next step.

Word Man, Feb 5, 2016
  5. It is a 14257 Installation. I got the ESD file from my laptop and used the ESD to ISO tool to make the WIM.

pittguy578, Feb 6, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    OK, so 1) What exact edition of WIndows 10 are you running (Home/Pro, 32/64bit, Language - English right)? and 2) what error message are you seeing?

Word Man, Feb 6, 2016
  7. I am using 14257 64 Bit I believe Personal/Professional.

I am getting the "Source Files Not Found" error message when I run DISM/ Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

Another post on here said run dism/startcomponnet cleanup then try to do it but I still get same error message.

So I heard another option was using a WIM file so I used the ESD from 14257 and converted it to WIM and am trying to use the direct WIM method instead of Online but still not working. No idea what I am doing wrong. Is my path wrong?

I was able to to Fix the DISM issue on a prior build because I was able to download an ISO directly that had an install feature and essentially I upgraded to the same build I already had (essentially a reinstall) and that worked.

pittguy578, Feb 6, 2016
  8. Word Man Win User

OK, so let's confirm some things:

1) Please open an elevated (admin) command prompt and issue the command "dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\sources\install.wim /index:1" then post a screenshot of the output.

and

2) While the command prompt is still open issue the command "winver" and post a screenshot of that.

If you need help posting a screenshot, let us know.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Got WIM file trying to fix DISM-am I using wrong path? Won't work - Similar Threads - Got WIM file

2. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  3. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  4. Windows uses file paths the wrong way

Windows uses file paths the wrong way: When typing filepaths into, for example, the windows explorer, it automatically messes up the path by replacing the slashes with backward slashes. The same applies to many other applications, like the command prompt. Where can I disable this behavior?...
  5. Windows uses file paths the wrong way

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows uses file paths the wrong way: When typing filepaths into, for example, the windows explorer, it automatically messes up the path by replacing the slashes with backward slashes. The same applies to many other applications, like the command prompt. Where can I disable this behavior?...
  6. Data WIM using DISM

Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  7. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  8. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. DISM error(syntax incorrect) when trying to mount WIM files..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM error(syntax incorrect) when trying to mount WIM files..: I get this error every time when i try mounting files using DISM, Code: The filename, directory name or Volume label syntax is incorrect.[/quote] earlier there was a problem regarding wimmount.sys driver not found whose path was changed due to Macrium Reflect Free, i...
  10. Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10: How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...