Windows 10: GPO Disables Task Scheduler - Breaking ALL Metro Apps/Keyboard

Discus and support GPO Disables Task Scheduler - Breaking ALL Metro Apps/Keyboard in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, I have an interesting problem. At my workplace, we have a group policy set that force-disables the Windows Task Scheduler. This is done for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by digitalhigh, Nov 17, 2016.

1. GPO Disables Task Scheduler - Breaking ALL Metro Apps/Keyboard

So, I have an interesting problem. At my workplace, we have a group policy set that force-disables the Windows Task Scheduler. This is done for security purposes, as "malware sometimes sets itself up as a scheduled task", as it was explained to me. I cannot get this policy removed for my computer.

Apparently, on all versions of Windows up until 10, this was not an issue. Heck, on versions of 10 *before* the Anniversary update, it was also not an issue.

However, after the Anniversary update, it appears that windows created a Scheduled Task called "TextServicessFramework", which starts MsCtfMonitor. This process is required for keyboard input to be recognized in ANY Metro app - meaning if it doesn't work, I can't use Edge, can't use Calculator, can't search in Store, can't use Cortana, and can't search in my Start Menu. I can't type anything into the Modern Settings app, etc.

It's damned annoying.

Now, I have somewhat mitigated this problem by taking ownership of the "Schedule" service and restricting GPO from disabling the service. This gets me keyboard input *some* of the time...

BUT - there is still an issue. It seems that when Group Policy refreshes, there is a brief moment where the service must restart. This throws Task Scheduler into chaos, and for whatever reason the TextServicesFramework freaks the eff out, resulting in my keyboard not working in Metro apps again. I look in the history, and I see that about every minute, the task tries to run, but errors out with this:

Code: Task Scheduler failed to start instance "{b6858a65-0234-4689-8826-8a1d161265e9}" of "\Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor" task for user "(NONE)" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2147944117.[/quote] As well as this:

Code: Task Scheduler failed to complete task "\Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor" , instance "{b6858a65-0234-4689-8826-8a1d161265e9}" , action "MsCtfMonitor task handler" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2147944117.[/quote] So, for now, I'm stuck. After a reboot, keyboard will work for several hours. After that, something happens, this error loop starts, and my OS is janky until I reboot.

Again, can't disable the group policy, which means I'm forced trying to find another workaround of some kind, or just deal with it. And I use my keyboard a lot, so that is really really not ideal...

Any ideas would be very helpful. I tried exporting the task to create a script pro something to fire it that way, but that doesn't work either, as it's a GUID call that can't be translated to a command...

:)

digitalhigh, Nov 17, 2016
  2. n00tn00t Win User

(SOLVED) Anniversary Update (Version 1607 Build14393) Breaks Task Scheduler

2nd

Any update on this issue?

I have a test SOE with 1607 installed and my Auto Shutdown task schedule pushed through GPO which is programmed to only run on Sundays for 4 hours persists to run causing it to auto shutdown when the PC is idle during work hours.

My production SOE is still on 1511 which is working as intended.

I have disabled all scheduled tasks until this has been rectified

n00tn00t, Nov 17, 2016
  3. StevenNT Win User
    How create a AD GPO Scheduled Task on Windows 10

Hi,

I'm trying to make a Scheduled Task using AD GPO for Windows 10. I've tried many times and the task will not appear.

The task if to do a test using a kix script and shutdown the PC at the end of the working day between 5pm and 9pm if no one is logged in and after 10pm shutdown regardless.

Is using GPO to make a task basically deprecated in Windows 10? If so, what alternatives are there? Can SCCM do this sort of thing? We use SCCM (Current Branch) but not got it to do shutdown clients reliably, but we were just guessing, any guides on this
    would be helpful if GPO based Scheduled Tasks are deprecated.

Thanks,

Steven

StevenNT, Nov 17, 2016
Thema:

GPO Disables Task Scheduler - Breaking ALL Metro Apps/Keyboard

1. GPO Disables Task Scheduler - Breaking ALL Metro Apps/Keyboard - Similar Threads - GPO Disables Task

2. scheduled tasks get disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    scheduled tasks get disabled: scheduled tasks on my system get randomly disabled. don't seem to discern any pattern on when that might happen, but more often than not it's the case when i go to task scheduler. googling this says that avast maybe the culprit, but changing its options makes no difference...
  3. blocking task scheduler with registry or GPO

in Windows 10 Support
    blocking task scheduler with registry or GPO: hello. i have a very important task that i added to the task scheduler. i want to protect the task from delete it or disable it - but i don't found the right way to do it. so, i ask if somebody know way and how to do it, and if no, how i can to block the TS whole with the...
  4. blocking task scheduler with registry or GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blocking task scheduler with registry or GPO: hello. i have a very important task that i added to the task scheduler. i want to protect the task from delete it or disable it - but i don't found the right way to do it. so, i ask if somebody know way and how to do it, and if no, how i can to block the TS whole with the...
  5. Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Scheduler - All Tasks History disabled: Hi, one of my clients has reported that All Tasks History in the task scheduler had been disabled, and that he wanted to know who had done it. I've determined the exact date and time when this occurred, but the logon logs for then have been turned over and I no longer have...
  6. GPO for Scheduling Tasks not executed

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPO for Scheduling Tasks not executed: Hello, I should make GPO to change one wallpaper at 07:00 AM and change other wallpaper at 03:00 PM. I have made two bat files. I want to execute them with schedules tasks via GPO. My DC is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, The client PC is Windows 10. My bat file content...
  7. Cannot Disable Task Scheduler Tasks

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Disable Task Scheduler Tasks: I thought I was the administrator? Apparently not. I wish there was a real equivalent to root on Windows, le sigh. How do I fix this? https://i.imgur.com/q1Qq4yf.png 109820
  8. Remove all modern metro apps

Remove all modern metro apps: Howdy, I use this PowerShell command to remove all modern metro apps from all user accounts: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage However, it does not remove some apps and I have to remove them manually using: Remove-AppxPackage...
  9. All metro apps crash.

All metro apps crash.: This is a problem I have been having for a few days now. Upon launching any metro app, it crashes. Attached is a picture with the diagnosis of the problem. Any way to fix that?? [img] Thank for any help!!! 4922
  10. No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler: Hello, I'm trying to disable a task in Task Scheduler, FCU 1709 as I always did with all previous versions of W 10 without problems. Now, when I go to Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Update Orchestrator/Scheduled Scan and trying to disable that task, I'm getting the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com