Windows 10: GPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply

Discus and support GPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to get my new image out the door for Windows 10 Pro x64 - 1703 and the last issue I'm having is the Taskbar customization. I followed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kellanist, Apr 27, 2017.

1. kellanist Win User

GPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply

Trying to get my new image out the door for Windows 10 Pro x64 - 1703 and the last issue I'm having is the Taskbar customization.

I followed the steps here: Configure Windows 10 taskbar (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

I exported the start menu configuration as described int eh document.

I have put the file in %LOCALAPPS%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and set the GPO with gpedit.msc so it is not a domain GPO. I have also set the GP for both user and computer with the same settings as a troubleshooting step (not sure if it would cause an issue by doing that).

When I sysprep the machine everything works EXCEPT the taskbar modifications. Not sure what is going on.

Here is the XML file for the modifications. Anyone see anything wrong with what I'm doing?

The only other piece of information that I can provide is that we are using Classic Shell so I don't know if that would prevent the settings being applied.

Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <LayoutModificationTemplate xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout" xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout" Version="1"> <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" /> <DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups"> <StartLayoutCollection> <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6"> <start:Group Name="Life at a glance"> <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" /> </start:Group> <start:Group Name=""> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\iTunes\iTunes.lnk" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Karmak\ProfitMaster.lnk" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Outlook 2013.lnk" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Skype for Business 2016.lnk" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Word 2013.lnk" /> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office 2013\Excel 2013.lnk" /> </start:Group> <start:Group Name=""> <startGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\GoldMine\GoldMine.lnk" /> </start:Group> </defaultlayout:StartLayout> </StartLayoutCollection> </DefaultLayoutOverride> <CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection PinListPlacement="Replace"> <defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout> <taskbar:TaskbarPinList> <taskbarGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Google Chrome.lnk" /> <taskbarGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\File Explorer.lnk" /> <taskbarGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2013.lnk" /> <taskbarGPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply :DesktopApp DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ProfitMaster.lnk" /> </taskbar:TaskbarPinList> </defaultlayout:TaskbarLayout> </CustomTaskbarLayoutCollection> </LayoutModificationTemplate>[/quote]

:)

kellanist, Apr 27, 2017
  2. Kurfew Win User

Windows 10 Group Policies - Newly created user GPOs do not apply

Hi all,

I'm after some help with a problem I've started to encounter. Windows AD domain (2012R2 DCs, but 2003 functional level), starting to provision Windows 10 (1703) clients. GPOs applied at container levels within the OU. As of about a week or so ago, any
    group policy created to apply to a user object does not apply. GPO applying to Computer Objects apply instantly. If I create a GPO that solely contains a drive map (start simple), this doesn't apply, GPRESULT doesn't show it being denied or empty etc. Using
    the GPMC results tool produces the same result as that on the physical workstation.

What seems odd is there were no problems a couple of weeks ago, I could create new User GPOs and they would apply, now it's like they don't exist. The corresponding GUID folder appears in the sysvol directory for the new GPO and permissions look as expected.
    Sysvol and Netlogon UNC paths have been excluded from hardening, KB3163622 is not applied to any client. There is no WMI filtering applied, permissions appear fine (auth users, read and apply GPO).

I am aware there have been a lot of community posts from people experiencing problems with GPOs and Windows 10, but the problem I have seems another level, it doesn't even seem to be aware there should be a GPO applying. I'm at a bit of a loss where to
    go next and would be hugely grateful for any advice that could be provided.

Best Regards,

Rob

Kurfew, Apr 27, 2017
  3. rajabba Win User
    GPO Wallpaper for windows 10

Hi,

We have applied Wallpaper via GPO for workstations, all versions except windows 10 works fine.

GPO applies to windows 10, it only appears after pressing 'Task View'

I have tried flushing local gpo, created new gpo seperately for this box

Can you please help

Thanks

Raj

rajabba, Apr 27, 2017
Thema:

GPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply

1. GPO for Taskbar modification doesn't apply - Similar Threads - GPO Taskbar modification

2. Security Center, GPO is not applying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Center, GPO is not applying: The security center has recommendations to implement, and we completed a few on some test laptops before putting in production. The security score didn't go up for a setting after a few days, so we dove into it. An example would be the GPO named "Security Improvements, with a...
  3. Security Center, GPO is not applying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Center, GPO is not applying: The security center has recommendations to implement, and we completed a few on some test laptops before putting in production. The security score didn't go up for a setting after a few days, so we dove into it. An example would be the GPO named "Security Improvements, with a...
  4. Windows 11 GPO is not applied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 GPO is not applied: Hello We have GPO applied on our computers, and we have one computer that is windows 11, and the GPO is not applying to this computer same as the others,Can you advise what can I do?the setting I'm trying to set is in the picture...
  5. Windows 11 GPO is not applied

Windows 11 GPO is not applied: Hello We have GPO applied on our computers, and we have one computer that is windows 11, and the GPO is not applying to this computer same as the others,Can you advise what can I do?the setting I'm trying to set is in the picture...
  6. Apply Color Management via GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apply Color Management via GPO: Does anyone know if it's possible to set the Device Profile for Color Management via GPO/ADMX/WEM?Thanks Ste https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apply-color-management-via-gpo/5014040f-fc6e-457e-bd31-264d69dae829
  7. Apply Color Management via GPO

Apply Color Management via GPO: Does anyone know if it's possible to set the Device Profile for Color Management via GPO/ADMX/WEM?Thanks Ste https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apply-color-management-via-gpo/5014040f-fc6e-457e-bd31-264d69dae829
  8. Taskbar Modification apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar Modification apps?: I'm really frustrated with the way taskbar works in Windows 10 and there doesn't appear to be settings to help me. I do not want window previews to popup on mouse hover. This is confusing, unnecessary, and it frequently gets in the way of my work. Why can't I turn this off?...
  9. GPO for Automatic Updates doesn't seem to be applying

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    GPO for Automatic Updates doesn't seem to be applying: Howdy, I'm trying to create a GPO to point our Windows 10 machines to our WSUS server and then use Automatic Download and Install during a maintenance schedule. I've gone under Automatic Maintenance Activation Boundary and set that to 13:00 (1PM) for testing. I've gone...
  10. Windows 10 GPO problem on 2012 DC- GPO Not Applying

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 GPO problem on 2012 DC- GPO Not Applying: I have a problem where I am pulling a GPO from a Windows 12 DC and it is not applying on the PC. If I run GPResults the correct GPO from the DC looks as if it is pulling. If I run Auditpol.exe /get /category I can see that nothing has applied as all of the audit settings...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbarmodification gpo

2. start menu gpo doesnt apply when offsite 1803