Windows 10: GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

Discus and support GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I spent almost all day on this one so thought I'd share!IMPACT: GPO install of MSI software fails. Event log: “The install of application XXXX from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Richard Collins2, Dec 23, 2022.

1. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

Hi, I spent almost all day on this one so thought I'd share!IMPACT: GPO install of MSI software fails. Event log: “The install of application XXXX from policy YYYY failed. The error was : %%1612”Running gpresult /h output.html showed the following:Software InstallationFailed578 Milliseconds23/12/2022 11:11:32 AMView LogSoftware Installation failed due to the error listed below.The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events tab in the console or the applic

:)

Richard Collins2, Dec 23, 2022
  2. axe0 Win User
  3. Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B

PC A - Windows 7/Windows 10 (neither work)

Domain A - Windows 2008 R2 domain

Domain B - Windows 2008 R2 domain

PC A from Domain A cannot copy file(s) from mentioned PC to a file share (either by UNC or mapped drive) to Domain B

There is a two-way trust between Domain A & B

PC A can copy a file from share (either UNC or mapped drive) to itself

Here's the tricky part, after getting the error, and refreshing the window Domain B side (while trying to copy from Domain A/PC A to Domain B file share) the file is there, but when you try to open it, the file is corrupt

GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain 699ac9e3-6fd8-475e-be26-71c0668d8ae7?upload=true.png

GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain a5c2796c-cabe-471e-9c2f-9e66bb3659b1?upload=true.png

Jace Garza - Ludlums, Dec 23, 2022
  4. Cja123 Win User

GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

Server 2003 GPO questions

I solved my problem!
    My first issue was the installation files that weren't running. I fixed this by enabling windows installer through the "allow select windows applications to run" option in the GPO. My second issue was turning off the GPO on the fly. Unfortunately, there is no option within the GPO editor that allows for this. However, I did create a .bat file which I can run that will insert specific registry key values that will render the GPO ineffective. I also created a "re-enable GPO" .bat file that I run after I am through making the changes, this will bring the GPO back up.
    Thanks so much for your help Batou1986! *Toast :toast:

Cja123, Dec 23, 2022
Thema:

GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

1. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain - Similar Threads - GPO installation software

2. Software Installation fails from Software Centre

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Installation fails from Software Centre: I have created an Application in SCCM. This will install an EXE file using the PowerShell Deployment toolkit.When I run the PowerShell query manually, it installs the software without any errors. My detection method is a registry key which I create in the script.Install...
  3. Software Installation fails from Software Centre

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software Installation fails from Software Centre: I have created an Application in SCCM. This will install an EXE file using the PowerShell Deployment toolkit.When I run the PowerShell query manually, it installs the software without any errors. My detection method is a registry key which I create in the script.Install...
  4. Software Installation fails from Software Centre

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain: Hi, I spent almost all day on this one so thought I'd share!IMPACT: GPO install of MSI software fails. Event log: “The install of application XXXX from policy YYYY failed. The error was : %%1612”Running gpresult /h output.html showed the following:Software...
  6. GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPO installation of software fails from UNC share using FQDN of windows domain: Hi, I spent almost all day on this one so thought I'd share!IMPACT: GPO install of MSI software fails. Event log: “The install of application XXXX from policy YYYY failed. The error was : %%1612”Running gpresult /h output.html showed the following:Software...
  7. Domain GPO does not applied to domain computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain GPO does not applied to domain computers: Dear friendsDo you know the difference between below setting when we define GPO for domain computers?1. Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Event log Service\ => we can define event log behavior to override old logs.2. Computer Configuration...
  8. Domain GPO does not applied to domain computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Domain GPO does not applied to domain computers: Dear friendsDo you know the difference between below setting when we define GPO for domain computers?1. Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Event log Service\ => we can define event log behavior to override old logs.2. Computer Configuration...
  9. Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy file from PC A on Domain A to a file share (either mapped or UNC) on Domain B: PC A - Windows 7/Windows 10 (neither work) Domain A - Windows 2008 R2 domain Domain B - Windows 2008 R2 domain PC A from Domain A cannot copy file(s) from mentioned PC to a file share (either by UNC or mapped drive) to Domain B There is a two-way trust between Domain A...
  10. Win 10 1803 - using UNC/share to access a folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 1803 - using UNC/share to access a folder: Ever since 1803 was 'provided' and PCs updated I have been trying to get this to work. I have read many of the posts relating to this in many forums but to no avail. Essentially the PC has SMB/CIFS File and Printer Sharing is enabled (Client and Server) "Function...