Windows 10: GPO Reboot Rule only Working on Some Computers?

Discus and support GPO Reboot Rule only Working on Some Computers? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Last Friday I set a scheduled task to reboot the computers every Monday at a time using Run: c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe with Arguments -R -F and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by matthewparsons2, Feb 10, 2020.

1. GPO Reboot Rule only Working on Some Computers?

Last Friday I set a scheduled task to reboot the computers every Monday at a time using Run: c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe with Arguments -R -F and when today came, there were three or four computers that were totally off. Did I do something wrong?

:)

matthewparsons2, Feb 10, 2020

2. AppLocker GPOs marked as applied but Rules are not enforced

Hi Community,

We have been experiencing a problem with AppLocker GPOs in a Windows 10 Environment.

The Domain functionality level is: Server 2012R2

Domain Controllers are running: Windows Server 2016

Workstations are running: Windows 10 Enterprise Build 17134

We have 2 GPOs; one containing DLL AppLocker Rules and one containing EXE, Script, Appx etc.. Rules.

When running a gpupdate /force on an affected workstation and getting the gpresult the GPOs appear to be applied and are marked as winning however the contents of C:\Windows\system32\Applocker files are not being updated and recent rules added to both GPOs
    are not being applied. i.e. a new application which has been whitelisted will not run for the user albeit being specified in the applied GPO.

Can someone please shed some light into this issue?

Help is highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Jason

Jason Buhagiar, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Does this computer build have compatibility problems? Opinions welcomed!

Lets start with what you're going to use this computer for, not what you want to put in it.

Rules/steps to building a computer (in chronological order):
    First rule: Determine what your needs are.
    Second rule: Define your budget.
    Third rule: Pick parts.
    Fourth rule: Review parts several times.
    Fifth rule: Buy said parts.
    Sixth rule: Build it.

You are on rule/step 1. Go through the list until you're done.

Aquinus, Feb 10, 2020
  4. cosmos Win User

GPO Reboot Rule only Working on Some Computers?

Enabling Network Discovery via GPO does not work when Windows Firewall

Environment: Windows domain

I'm trying to turn on network discovery for 100+ computers and I've created a computer-targeted GPO following instructions from this article: https://www.technig.com/enable-netwo...-group-policy/

I create a test OU and put one computer in said OU and apply GPO to the computer. I then run gpupdate /force on the targeted machine and restart the computer. I then run gpresult /scope computer /v and confirm that the GPO is being applied.

Incidentally, I didn't do the second part that's required for this to work, which is turn on Windows Firewall via GPO as per the article, but just to test I ran the GPO and confirmed that Network Discovery is turned on only when I turn off Windows Firewall manually when I check Advanced sharing settings: https://i.imgur.com/E7y9OBn.png
    When I turn Windows Firewall back on, network discovery and file sharing turn off as per screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/UlJvX5E.png

So I know that my GPO is turning on Network Discovery but windows firewall is blocking it, at least when some inbound rules aren't made yet. I can't turn off Windows Firewall completely (yet) so I proceed to include Windows Firewall exceptions into my GPO as per article instructions. Note that the article suggests only to include inbound rules and not outbound.

I then include these Windows Firewall rules as a part of my network discovery GPO (I didn't bother to create a separate GPO--don't know if this might be a problem).

Anyway, I apply this GPO and I see that the computer pulls it down. The problem is with these inbound firewall rules applied both network discovery and file and print sharing and still turned off. And when I look at Windows Firewall inbound rules I see that the rules are applied and enabled but the tick box for network discovery won't turn on. When I turn off windows firewall for domain the tick box shows it's enabled. So windows firewall is preventing this from working and I don't know what rules to enable to make it work. Turning off windows firewall is the only solution but it's too global.

What am I doing wrong here? Should I have set GPO to enable firewall rule first and then set GPO for enabling network discovery a period after? In my "Network Discovery GPO" I have both network discovery and firewall rules both set. Should I split them up?

I appreciate any insight on this. I really need to get this to work. Thank you.

cosmos, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

GPO Reboot Rule only Working on Some Computers?

1. GPO Reboot Rule only Working on Some Computers? - Similar Threads - GPO Reboot Rule

2. issues getting computer restart GPO to work on local computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    issues getting computer restart GPO to work on local computers: Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with getting my weekly restart GPO to work properly. I have tested the script being used for the command on my system and it works just fine. However, it appears that the Task Scheduler task that was applied via GPO failed to run properly....
  3. issues getting computer restart GPO to work on local computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    issues getting computer restart GPO to work on local computers: Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with getting my weekly restart GPO to work properly. I have tested the script being used for the command on my system and it works just fine. However, it appears that the Task Scheduler task that was applied via GPO failed to run properly....
  4. issues getting computer restart GPO to work on local computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is AppLocker imported policy only executing some rules when imported on computer B when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is AppLocker imported policy only executing some rules when imported on computer B when...: I'm working with two computers with the exact same hardware and version of Windows--for simplicity let's call them computer A and computer B. I've created an AppLocker policy in the Local Security Policy editor on computer A and all the rules were working as expected, so I...
  6. Why is AppLocker imported policy only executing some rules when imported on computer B when...

Why is AppLocker imported policy only executing some rules when imported on computer B when...: I'm working with two computers with the exact same hardware and version of Windows--for simplicity let's call them computer A and computer B. I've created an AppLocker policy in the Local Security Policy editor on computer A and all the rules were working as expected, so I...
  7. Why is AppLocker imported policy only executing some rules when imported on computer B when...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. GPO not working as intended

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO not working as intended: First of all. My English is not at good level when I need to write something so I used ChatGPT.Here is my first problem:I will set up a GPO on the server: For example, Enable logon using a practical PIN code. Then, execute gpupdate /force. The policy is applied and...
  9. GPO not working as intended

GPO not working as intended: First of all. My English is not at good level when I need to write something so I used ChatGPT.Here is my first problem:I will set up a GPO on the server: For example, Enable logon using a practical PIN code. Then, execute gpupdate /force. The policy is applied and...
  10. GPO Not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPO Not working: Hi there,I am trying to configure "desktop shortcut" GPO for a Google Chrome web page but its not working for a user /or security group. just work for workstations.if I add workstation it will show up in the gpresult /r but for user its not even showing up. User Configuration...