Windows 10: GPT disks

Discus and support GPT disks in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Justin7RL, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Justin7RL Win User

GPT disks

Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes.

Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted.

After windows installed both drives and back to MBR with the 4TB drive having 550MB for system reserved and a 2TB unallocated and the remaining portion not able to be allocated.

The boot drive is a 500 gig NVMe m.2

Have I missed something basic?

Thanks

Justin.

:)

Justin7RL, Apr 4, 2019

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Apr 5, 2019
  3. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CGPT disks :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CGPT disks :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Apr 5, 2019
  4. GPT disks

Converting a MBR disk to a GPT disk

I would put Windows on Disk 2. There is plenty of space. If you want to start with a clean slate then you should do this:

• Disconnect disks 0 and 1.
    • Boot the machine with your installation medium.
    • Launch diskpart.
    • Select disk 0 (it was disk 2 before).
    • clean.
    • Reboot with your installation medium.
    • Install Windows.
    • When it runs nicely, connect the other disks and tell the BIOS which is the primary disk to boot from.
    Since disk 2 is only 232 GBytes you will not need UEFI / GPT. After Windows is installed you can convert the 3 TByte disk to GPT.

Frederik Long, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

GPT disks

1. GPT disks - Similar Threads - GPT disks

2. Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT.: Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT plus i have installed it while my bios was in ufei mode. I tried re-installing the windows but faced same problem. Didn't face the problem as soon as i finished installing windows , i updated...
  3. Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT.: Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT plus i have installed it while my bios was in ufei mode. I tried re-installing the windows but faced same problem. Didn't face the problem as soon as i finished installing windows , i updated...
  4. Windows still booting in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI even when the disk is GPT.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Converting disk from MTR to GPT and installing Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting disk from MTR to GPT and installing Windows 11: Hello there,I want to update my OS from Windows 10 to Windows 11. For that I have to enable secure boot in my UEFI. After doing that my Computer always booted to the UEFI and not Windows anymore... everytime. On Reddit I found this solution:...
  6. Converting disk from MTR to GPT and installing Windows 11

Converting disk from MTR to GPT and installing Windows 11: Hello there,I want to update my OS from Windows 10 to Windows 11. For that I have to enable secure boot in my UEFI. After doing that my Computer always booted to the UEFI and not Windows anymore... everytime. On Reddit I found this solution:...
  7. Converting disk from MTR to GPT and installing Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 11 GPT Disk Layout Changes & Method For Cloning Of A Windows System When Dual Booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 GPT Disk Layout Changes & Method For Cloning Of A Windows System When Dual Booting: I have two questions which are as follows:-1. How best to make disk partition layout changes on the windows disk as the EFI size in particular looks too small.2. How to clone a windows image system from one disk to another disk on a windows dual boot system with a UEFI BIOS....
  9. Windows 11 GPT Disk Layout Changes & Method For Cloning Of A Windows System When Dual Booting

Windows 11 GPT Disk Layout Changes & Method For Cloning Of A Windows System When Dual Booting: I have two questions which are as follows:-1. How best to make disk partition layout changes on the windows disk as the EFI size in particular looks too small.2. How to clone a windows image system from one disk to another disk on a windows dual boot system with a UEFI BIOS....
  10. Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of GPT partition style. Is...: Hi members, I'm installing fresh windows 10 on my HP laptop, I have formated the previous windows disk for a clean installation, But now it's showing me that windows cannot be installed on this disk because the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.Is there any possible...