Windows 10: GPT drive

Discus and support GPT drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have software installed on an SSD and data on a 4TB second hard drive. Somehow, in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MegSN, Feb 24, 2020.

1. MegSN Win User

GPT drive

I just upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have software installed on an SSD and data on a 4TB second hard drive. Somehow, in the upgrade, my data drive turned in to a GPT Protective Partition. I would like to return it to a Primary Partition without losing the terabytes of data on it. Any suggestions?

:)

MegSN, Feb 24, 2020

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Feb 24, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Feb 24, 2020
  4. GPT drive

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

GPT drive

1. GPT drive - Similar Threads - GPT drive

2. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  3. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...: I've included a disk management screenshot because I think its probably something to do with that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-trying-to-convert-my-c-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt-so/bf690e99-8380-4279-bbc1-57e39f8522a4
  4. I'm trying to convert my c drive from MBR to GPT so I can install windows 11 but every time...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hitting password brick wall trying to update hard drive to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hitting password brick wall trying to update hard drive to GPT: I am trying to convert my hard drives to GPT. I'm using step-by-step instructions:SettingsUpdate and SecurityRecoveryAdvanced Startup / Restart NowTroubleshootAdvanced OptionsAt which point it asks me for my user email and password. I give it my Microsoft user email and...
  6. Hitting password brick wall trying to update hard drive to GPT

Hitting password brick wall trying to update hard drive to GPT: I am trying to convert my hard drives to GPT. I'm using step-by-step instructions:SettingsUpdate and SecurityRecoveryAdvanced Startup / Restart NowTroubleshootAdvanced OptionsAt which point it asks me for my user email and password. I give it my Microsoft user email and...
  7. Hitting password brick wall trying to update hard drive to GPT

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Changing Drive to a GPT Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Drive to a GPT Drive: Is there a Free Tool that Can and does Change the actual format of a HDD, has a 4TB drive and would like to use the whole drive not just 2TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-drive-to-a-gpt-drive/2e69600e-a112-46e5-a6a4-407a7a1d1386
  9. Changing Drive to a GPT Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Drive to a GPT Drive: Is there a Free Tool that Can and does Change the actual format of a HDD, has a 4TB drive and would like to use the whole drive not just 2TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-drive-to-a-gpt-drive/2e69600e-a112-46e5-a6a4-407a7a1d1386
  10. Changing Drive to a GPT Drive