Windows 10: GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.

Discus and support GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows ver. 10 20H2 19042.685 I have a Sabrent external enclosure I have been using for years as a storage device. It contains a WD Red 4TB drive. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021.

1. JDubbedN Win User

GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.

Windows ver. 10 20H2 19042.685

I have a Sabrent external enclosure I have been using for years as a storage device. It contains a WD Red 4TB drive. It was formatted in GPT because of the MBR's 2 TB limit. When I place the drive into a different branded external enclosure, it only shows a 2TB partition with the remaining 1.7TB as unallocated. I cannot change the drive in any form or fashion using Windows built-in disk manager as it's all grayed out. I've had this happen in the past and I know I can use diskpart to wipe the drive and start over, which requires me to backup my data, and then format GPT using the new enclosure then copy the data back over. Or I can use 3rd party disk management software but the outcome is the same. Windows is some how making this GPT partition GPT Protected and I don't format it that way. I don't get what causes GPT Protective to activate and I really don't need it.

So my question is why does this GPT Protective kick in?

Can I convert GPT Protective to GPT non protective without formatting?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I went ahead and performed a clean on the disk using disk part which removed the GPT Protective header. But here is a new problem I am bumping into. When I format it with the brand Fideco HDD enclosure and then move it to the Sabrent HDD enclosure, the drive becomes GPT Protective. But then I move the drive back to Fideco the drive is only GPT. And when I format it using the Sabrent drive and then move the drive over to the Fideco drive, it is now GPT Protective. If I format the HDD in the Sabrent enclosure then move it over to my backup Sabrent enclosure which is the same model, it works fine. So physically moving a drive that is formatted in GPT becomes GPT Protective when moved to another branded enclosure. Is that right? Why would this happen? If the enclosure fails I need to be able to take the drive out and place it into another enclosure without losing data. But that doesn't seem to be the case if the drive just locks up into GPT Protective mode when it gets moved to another enclosure. Am I missing something?

:)

JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021

2. GPT Protective Partition. How to read data / recover hard drive that is in this state.

The drive did come in an enclosure like an external drive, and I removed it from it's case and mounted it as an internal disk in my PC. There was no encryption of any kind and the disk worked fine.

I've diagnosed the drive with the WD tools, but they did not help. I think that this is a windows issue.

Take a look at my last post and see what it says in disk manager. Windows 10 is supposed to be able to read GPT Protective partitions, but it's not for some reason. I think that the partition table is stuffed or something.

Also, mounting the drive back into an enclosure shows the drive as RAW in disk manager because the drive enclosure modifies the data transfer rate or something.

CausticLasagne, Feb 27, 2021
  3. TrueRock2 Win User
    How to delete the GUID Partition Table (GPT) on a HDD

I have a Windows 7 PC that has a virus (probably multiple viruses). I'm going to rebuild the PC with Windows 10.

I have removed the HDD from the Windows 7 PC and have it externally attached to a different Windows 10 PC via eSATA.

I have deleted all of the partitions on the external HDD - but, also - I would like to delete the GPT from the HDD also.

How do I delete the GPT from an HDD?

I have googled some references on the internet that suggest using various freeware utilities (e.g. Super Fdisk).

Does Windows 10 have a command that deletes a GPT - perhaps somewhere in the DISKPART command?

I'm thinking if I use DISKPART to convert the GPT to MBR and then convert it back to GPT - I will have effectively deleted the GPT.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

TrueRock2, Feb 27, 2021
  4. GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Feb 27, 2021
Thema:

GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.

1. GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change. - Similar Threads - GPT HDD Cannot

2. How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  3. How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  4. How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  6. How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  7. recovering gpt partition without data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    recovering gpt partition without data loss: i had a faulty mbr on an external backup drive so i ran partition magic fixmbr routine unfortunately it requires a restart to fix the drive, when i restarted it fixed my windows gpt drive not the external usb connected mbr drive. i need help with dos syntax to repair the boot...
  8. Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition: I need to reinstall Windows 10 on a partitioned hard drive. The hard drive has 8 partitions - I only care about the 1 partition that has my data on and I don't want to lose it during the install. Other partitions are where I had Windows originally installed, system recovery,...
  9. HDD not working with Enclosure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD not working with Enclosure: I had an old laptop that wouldn't boot, so someone replaced my HDD and gave me the bad one back. They didn't explain what was wrong with it. A few months ago I bought and enclosure (ORICO 2588US3) to use the HDD with my current PC running Windows 10. When I plug it in, it...
  10. Cannot install Windows to GPT partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install Windows to GPT partition: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a partition of an SSD (one of four partitions; the other three being rather small and, I suppose, created by Windows 10 itself during the previous installation procedure. I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 to this partition but Windows...