Windows 10: GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1

Discus and support GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi >>> I have SSD Samsund Evo 850 250GB MBR and i clone it(with "mini tool partition software") to my new SSD Samsung Evo 850 500GB in MBR type.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bodo David, Mar 18, 2018.

1. GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1

Hi

>>> I have SSD Samsund Evo 850 250GB MBR and i clone it(with "mini tool partition software") to my new SSD Samsung Evo 850 500GB in MBR type.

Let you know my Samsung 250GB Volumes
    It has 4 primary ntfs partitions . 1st System Reserved, 2nd Windows 10, 3rd Windows 8.1 , 4th Recovery Partition

>>>Then i use windows 10 recovery and with cmd i try- -- bootrec /fixmbr , /fixboot , /rebuildbcd and recover MBR in my new 500GB SSD
    I boot and everything was good. I have option to multi-boot Win10 or Win8.1*Smile

>>>>> I boot Laptop With "WinPe SergeiRec" and i use "MiniTool_Partition Ultimate edition" to convert my new 500Gb from MBR to GPT.

Also i try "Hasleo EasyUEFI" to rebuild EFI system Partition.
    Then i reboot my Laptop and it boots only in Windows 10. It does not have multiple option to boot Win 10 or Win 8.1

>>>>>> Then i boot Windows 10 Only and install "EasyUEFI Professional" and try to Rebuild EFI Partition Again!
    But i understand that i can only make efi bootable only Win10 or Win 8.1.

Then i create a new fat32 Efi Partition 200MB and i Rebuild Efi Partition .
    So now i have 2 x Efi Partition for Win10 and for Win8.1 and with "EasyUEFI Professional" i made 2 EFI Boot Orders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So because i did not have EFI partitions and GPT disk table (i only know to manage MBR)
    my questions are

1)So for every OS it need to Create EFI fat32 Partition?
    2)How to manage and edit partition? How to rename EFI boot OS ? How to make default Boot Order?
    3)Is there any software to install to manage all i need? I think that Clover is for me?
    4)Can i use Grub2 to manage it?

GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1 [​IMG]

Thank you for all

:)

Bodo David, Mar 18, 2018

2. AHCI-legacy or IDE-UEFI intel board DP45SG

If your have Hard drive larger than 2TB

then repartition in GPT and make EFI bootable disk or USB drive then install windows

GPT has slightly faster boot time,

also OEM secure boot can activate in EFI

----

My Asus had 3 TB HDD and 250GB SSD, its EFI gpt, boots in 3 sec

Good Luck

-.[Final]#[Boss].-, Mar 18, 2018
  3. fg2001 Win User
    Windows 10 1709 64bit, windows image restore to a new drive fails, error 0x80042302

I checked a couple more system disks of 512GB on different PC's that had the partitions created by the install of a fresh windows 10 1709.

The partitions look all the same and in the same order:

1) 499MB GPT NTFS (Recovery partition) Status None

2) 100MB GPT FAT32 (EFI System partition Status Active & System

3) 16MB GPT Other (Reserved partition) Status None

4) 476.3 GB GPT NTFS (Data Partition) Status Boot

The EFI partition would be 260MB for an ADF disk (4K sectors)

fg2001, Mar 18, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1

Yes and No.
    Yes, If you plan to boot the OS separately (On a separate disk).
    No, If you dual boot
    How to manage and edit partition? If you are referring to EFI System, mount it using: mountvol S: /s ===> Mount the EFI System partition and assign to letter S:
    How to rename EFI boot OS ? You don't rename the EFI System partition, the partition is hidden.
    How to make default Boot Order? In Windows, Win+R=>Msconfig=>Boot, select one and set it to Default.
    Try: The rEFInd Boot Manager: Installing rEFInd
    Probably but need to boot into Linux to manage.

topgundcp, Mar 19, 2018
  5. Thank you for your reply.

So now how can i solve my last problem....to make multiboot win 10+Win 8.1 ?
    What are the steps?

Bodo David, Mar 19, 2018
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Mar 19, 2018
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Based on your Disk management. I suggest that you re-label your C: drive and H: drive if H: drive is Windows 8 so we'll know which partition is 10 and which is 8.

The first partition is System Reserved which was carried over when you convert from MBR to GPT and is not used.
    The next to last partition which you created is also not needed. Delete both partitions.

Boot up Windows 10, open Admin command prompt and type:
    bcdboot H:\Windows =====> I assume H: is your Windows 8.

The above command will create a dual boot menu for Windows 10 and 8.

I also notice that you have Linux installed on disk 2. I suggest to leave it alone and boot it separately.

topgundcp, Mar 19, 2018
  8. GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1

Sorry i forgot.....C: is windows 10 and H: is Windows 8.1
    Also Efi partition beside Recovery Partition is a partition that i made it for win 8.1 with EasyUefi Pro
    Last efi partition was created for Win 10 for EASY UEFI pro

I will make your steps and reply for news!!!

In 2 disk i have linux with Grub2.

Bodo David, Mar 19, 2018
  9. Nice.... I solve multiboot with bcdboot H:\Windows
    Everything is OK.

Thank you all for your advises....

Bodo David, Mar 20, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Dear @Bodo David
    Please mark your/this thread solved so that others can benefit from your experience. You'll find a green button at the top of the page that says "Mark as solved" please click it to make that change, and thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 20, 2018
  11. I was with android....so i did not find "Mark as Solved".
    Now is ok.
    Thank you.

Bodo David, Mar 20, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks, Bodo David. Good job! I don't run the site from my iPhone, so I had no idea. Thanks also for telling me about this.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1

1. GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1 - Similar Threads - GPT SSD Disk

2. Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition: Over the past few days, my computer has been crashing, specifically while i am playing games. The error in the even viewer is "Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition. For more information, please see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2169931"...
  3. Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition: Over the past few days, my computer has been crashing, specifically while i am playing games. The error in the even viewer is "Potentially revoked boot manager was detected in EFI partition. For more information, please see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2169931"...
  4. GPT Partition Scheme for Dual-/Multi-boot Windows 10-setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT Partition Scheme for Dual-/Multi-boot Windows 10-setup: Hello,I have a laptop with 2x M.2 SSD-drives 500GB and 2TB, which I want to separate into three separate instances of Windows 10-installations as per:Disk 0 2 TBWindows 10 general purpose - 1 TBWindows 10 hobby purpose - 500 GB500 GB shared storageDisk 1 500 GBWindows 10 work...
  5. how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able to boot windows 10...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able to boot windows 10...: Hello, I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it can. And maybe I found the reason. Infact I found that when Windows 10 installs the EFI partition as first partition of the...
  6. Disk Partition EFI Management

Disk Partition EFI Management: DISK PARTITION INCLUDING EFI SYSTEM PARTITION AND RECOVERY DRIVE PARTITION. Earlier my File Explorer used to display C drive and D drive Recovery Drive which majorly contains only the recovery file. However, after a windows update a long time back, the D drive stopped...
  7. Windows Boot Manager EFI

Windows Boot Manager EFI: I have 3 entries of Windows Boot Manager in my Bios. Has Windows created them as I can't seem to reduce the number to 1 in the Bios. I have tried clearing the Bios, removing the backup battery and flashing a previous Bios version but they all remain. I suspect they could be...
  8. Windows 10 OS - GPT Primary Partition Set As EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 OS - GPT Primary Partition Set As EFI System Partition: Greetings! This is my first problem post here on TenForums and it is a frustrating one. To make a long story short, I installed Windows 10 on my notebook, leaving a large amount of unallocated space available for a future Linux install. Windows 10 had been running without...
  9. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?: I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again.. Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type...
  10. Disk Boot Failure, Attempting to restore EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Boot Failure, Attempting to restore EFI partition: Had a power loss and while I have my workstation on a battery backup I on impulse just killed the power to my PC instead of doing a proper shutdown. I had just completed a steam game installation at this point (Mafia III, not sure if this is relevant though). Long story...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 diskpart info boot system flag gpt

2. efi multi encrypted boot partitions

3. windows efi partition multi boot

4. gpt multi partition,
  5. ssd windows10 mountvol diskpart,
  6. windows 10 disk management create gpt boot ssd,
  7. efi multiboot efi and mbr,
  8. manage efi boot windows 10,
  9. EFI diskpart windows 10 multiboot,
  10. clone windows boot primary partition to new disk gpt