Windows 10: GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR

Discus and support GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why windows 10 is not getting reinstalled on GPT or MBR partition on same PC? I am reinstalling fresh windows 10 in my PC. But this time I got this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VinayRagbotra, Nov 17, 2018.

1. GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR

Why windows 10 is not getting reinstalled on GPT or MBR partition on same PC?

I am reinstalling fresh windows 10 in my PC. But this time I got this ERROR.

Why this ERROR as windows 10 was previously intalled on this same PC, same partition?

Why I need to convert my partition type this time?

What is the change now?

The only diffrence this time is I have downloaded a fresh COPY of windows.

Is there some thing changed in installation process of Previous windows 10 and new versions of Windows 10?

:)

VinayRagbotra, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Smittychat., Nov 17, 2018
  3. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Nov 17, 2018
  4. GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR

Smittychat., Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR

1. GPT vs MBR problem. Why this ERROR - Similar Threads - GPT MBR problem

2. gpt to mbr error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    gpt to mbr error: hi i have only one ssd and i recently convert my ssd from gpt to mbr when I connect my bootable mbr USB to the computer it's not recognizable by the bios also my ssd it's not recognizable too can any one help me...
  3. gpt to mbr error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    gpt to mbr error: hi i have only one ssd and i recently convert my ssd from gpt to mbr when I connect my bootable mbr USB to the computer it's not recognizable by the bios also my ssd it's not recognizable too can any one help me...
  4. Mbr vs gpt boot up time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mbr vs gpt boot up time: Hey guys. I understand the difference between mbr and gpt, I wanted to know from who has experience which of the two is faster for boot up time, Does it even affect boot up time? Or are they just the same? 166912
  5. GPT vs MBR speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    GPT vs MBR speed: The merits of GPT partitioning are well documented and discussed. But does O/S disk partitioning under GPT best MBR definitively in actual usage - apart from boot? Comment from knowledgeable techs or those with first-hand comparison of the two schemes is invited. 160324
  6. GPT vs MBR speed

in Windows 10 Support
    GPT vs MBR speed: The merits of GPT partitioning are well documented and discussed. But not seen is whether Win 10 normal in-use performance (apart from boot) is faster or smoother when the O/S disk is GPT. Comments from knowledgeable techs or those with first-hand experience is invited....
  7. MBR to GPT problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to GPT problem: While picking a partition for dual boot windows says it cannot be installed on mbr drive. Now i used diskpart to split the partition then nothing happened, it says it cannot process because the memory was low. How can i fix it....
  8. MBR vs. GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR vs. GPT: Are there solid benefits in switching from standard MBR to GPT? Now that I have Windows 10, I'm wondering if I should do it. I have no need for more partitions (currently 3 drives with 1 primary partition each) or partitions larger than 2TB and likely never will. But I'm...
  9. GPT vs MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPT vs MBR: Ok folks, these two partition formats are confusing to me and looks like a lot of others too. I have seen what a hard drive looks like with GPT partitions, lots of partitions taking up a lot of hard drive space!!! I have seen MBR partitions, not needing a lot of hard drive...
  10. Clarification - MBR vs GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clarification - MBR vs GPT: I've installed Windows 10 almost 20 times, but always as an upgrade over an existing OS. I'm finally going to install it on a few systems I've just completed building. I understand that if I am using UEFI, the drives must be formatted as GPT partitions. I'm not finding any...