Windows 10: GPU in 16x slot but GPU-Z reports running at x1 speed?

Discus and support GPU in 16x slot but GPU-Z reports running at x1 speed? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a fairly older system now but still good for my basic use, the specs below: CPU - i5 (3rd gen) GPU - GTX 650 OC Gigabyte 1Gb Samsung SSD XFX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by snadge, Jan 28, 2020.

1. snadge Win User

GPU in 16x slot but GPU-Z reports running at x1 speed?

I have a fairly older system now but still good for my basic use, the specs below:

CPU - i5 (3rd gen)
    GPU - GTX 650 OC Gigabyte 1Gb
    Samsung SSD
    XFX 450 Pro PSU
    Gigabyte H77M-D3H mobo

now I have the latest nVidia driver installed as of last night and just checking GPU-Z and it reports its in the 16x slot but running at x1 1.1 speed...?? when its under stress test it says x 1 3.0 can anyone clear this up for me please?

EDIT: After re-seating I had some issues getting it to start back up when the system was upright and/or every thing else plugged in, it was booting but no reception on TV. i swapped out HDMI cable and it worked, put it back together upright and it didnt, i removed al the fittings and just left PWR, USB mouse n keyboard and HDMI and it came on then I plugged them in, now i bet if i shut it down it wont come back on until i removed the 3.5mm, Ethernet and USB extender - but since then its now running at x4 1.1 and x4 3.0 underload
    how is it re-seating it gets it half working and now has complications of working at all....seems it may be on its way out... *Sad

GPU in 16x slot but GPU-Z reports running at x1 speed? [​IMG]

thanks

:)

snadge, Jan 28, 2020

2. Windows Freezing at Welcome Screen when Adding GPU to PCI Express Slots

those GPUs will probably only work on PCIe 16x slots, even if they are all running at 8x because of multigpu, they will not work properly on 1x slots.

This is not about the speed, but more about the PCIe lanes the slots can support. GPUs needs 16 lanes to work (again even if internaly they will split the load between 2 installed GPUs).

Yes I believe if you can split those slots they will still work, make sure you use 1x to 16x splitters, so both cards will receive data from those 16 lanes. They will still split the load and go at 8x each but it should work. Those you shown me are 16x to
    1x. The 1x to 16x is not a splitter per say but will make you GPUs compatible, since it will also take some power from your PSU to power the slot correctly. Use as many as you need in your PC for your needs.

They are specifically made for GPU powered dataminers like in your case.

1x to 16x power riser adapter

They are so new they only be released on Wednesday.

warhammer37m, Jan 28, 2020
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    GPU not detected

Yes, if the clocks speeds ramp up to 3D settings the card is running, but I didn't mentioned the gpu and VRAM maximum use.

This will tell if the gpu is (or attempting ) processing an image. If you push the settings in R6 Siege up enough the gpu, I believe

would be pushing 90+% use . A healthy portion of VRAM should also be in use.

That still does not guarantee a good image. Well, doesn't guarantee any image really, but is promising.

Did you check Device Manager > Display again to see if Windows is recognising the card again ?

New or old, faults can happen. If you have rebooted several times and still seeing only 8GB RAM in Performance Monitor, I'd be inclined

to pull and re-seat both RAM sticks as a first attempt. It could just be a speck of dust/lint in one RAM slot.

(Also verify you are using the correct pair of slots. Some mobo's skip a slot, and some use adjacent slots for dual channel RAM. )

8GB should be more than enough system RAM for R6 and similar spec games, so try testing the RAM with only one stick at a time.

Test in both slots to verify if a slot is faulting. Still not showing 16GB ? Next step...

how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems

- But enough of the gpu and RAM for now. Give us some details of what is, or is not happening with the games ?

Cheers - BD

BossDweeb, Jan 28, 2020
  4. axe0 Win User

B(lack)SOD after closing GPU demanding applications and games

I would like to suggest 2 more things if you don't mind,
    1. Seat the GPU in another slot, if possible, and see if that helps anything
    2. Use the GPU in another system, if possible, this is a step to determine that it is really the GPU and not multiple defective slots or something else from the system.

Thema:

1. GPU in 16x slot but GPU-Z reports running at x1 speed? - Similar Threads - GPU 16x slot

2. Annoying GPU-Z popup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Annoying GPU-Z popup: this popup is coming again and again how can i stop it!? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/annoying-gpu-z-popup/6997963c-5a9d-46d4-aabe-a7fe965ca994
  3. Annoying GPU-Z popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Annoying GPU-Z popup: this popup is coming again and again how can i stop it!? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/annoying-gpu-z-popup/6997963c-5a9d-46d4-aabe-a7fe965ca994
  4. Annoying GPU-Z popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. GPU Constantly Running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GPU Constantly Running: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/egehdsvftml61.png?width=424&format=png&auto=webp&s=747cc582dd7420f352ff7d7dd328c97cdee63e35 submitted by /u/DummyfiedMe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lztw9r/gpu_constantly_running/
  6. Applications running on this GPU.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Applications running on this GPU.: I have a Lenovo laptop containing Intel i3 [Intel HD Graphics 4000] and also a graphics card [inside the laptop] Nvidia Geforce GT 720M with upto 6GB of RAM.I noticed that there are apps running on this GPU [textinputhost.exe , searchapp.exe , startmenuexperiencehost.exe]...
  7. Applications Running On This GPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Applications Running On This GPU: Hi, guys. For a very long time I've noticed something strange. I have a gaming laptop with an i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060 mobile GPU. However, whenever I boot up my computer, many Windows 10 stock applications will start loading on the NVIDIA GPU. When I click on the NVIDIA GPU...
  8. gpu not detected but is running

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    gpu not detected but is running: Ive honestly never encountered this before. Ive searched and tried many of the ways that are online everywhere that seemed to relate to my issue. Yesterday i was in the middle of a game when my screen blanked out and went black. When it didnt come back on right away i...
  9. GPU-Z Publisher: TechPowerUpVersion: 2.1 OS: WindowsCategory: System Information GPU-Z is a...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU-Z Publisher: TechPowerUpVersion: 2.1 OS: WindowsCategory: System Information GPU-Z is a...: GPU-Z Download https://bit.ly/2BMpLNi Author: TechPowerUp License: Free Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/8/Windows 10 32-bit program. Can run on both a 32-bit and 64-bit OS. Version: 2.1 File Size: 5.91 MBs Downloads: 12,613 Last Updated: 11/16/18 09:57:29 AM EST...
  10. Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Fans of GPU at FULL SPEED: Hi all, I did a clean install of windows 10 about 2 months ago. Everything was fine till all of a sudden I came home one day and found my GPUs fan at full blast making some real good noise. Turned off the computer, checked the card, cleaned it (pressurized air) and put...