Windows 10: GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming

Discus and support GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; OK, so about a month ago i brought dark souls 3 and around 5 minutes into playing the game, my monitor displayed the "No connection found screen" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by sevenfolder27, May 3, 2016.

1. GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming

OK, so about a month ago i brought dark souls 3 and around 5 minutes into playing the game, my monitor displayed the "No connection found screen" and my headset cut off all my sound. I was on discord at the time and the people in the call said i just disconnected without saying anything. I know it's not discord because this error has happened multiple times without discord being open.
    This has happened across some games, most recently the Overwatch Open Beta, Dark Souls 3, Black Ops 3. I have never received this error before and it never happens in some games, such as league of legends, Nidhogg and other seemingly random games. My specs aren't bad and I've had no problems running Black Ops 3 before this error happened the first time.
    My Hard drive in the task manager window spikes at 100 sometimes, but then goes back to 0 for at least a while. I've never had the chance to look at the task manager window when crashing, as I'm always in-game. This seems random to me when it happens, because I've played a near 7 hour session with absolutely no crashes,and sometimes it can crash 3-4 times in 30 minutes.
    The only way I've found to get my computer working again after the crash is to hold the power button until the unit turns off, then turn it back on.

:)

sevenfolder27, May 3, 2016

2. my computer randomly shuts off when playing games

whenever I play games my computer shuts off after 5 minutes or less and its really annoying and its not the cpu overheating because I changed it to passive and it still shuts down so idk why its happening it only happens when I play games or turn on my
    computer

markvechar, May 3, 2016
  3. Black Screen Crashes: LiveKernelEvent Code 141

Having the same issue this morning (Started yesterday..) Only happens when I'm gaming. I've ran stress tests on my CPU and GPU and both come back fine. I don't think it's an overheating problem.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU, same thing, crashes after anywhere from 50 seconds into the game to 50 minutes into the game. (Playing Elite: Dangerous)

I have an Nvidia 970 in an ASUS ROG G20.

I'll try to keep posting as I troubleshoot more, and if I find the cause I'll definitely let you know since it seems I can't find anything that resolves this in a google search.

Joshua_8484, May 3, 2016
  4. GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming

I found the problem and it's that my GPU is getting to 80 degrees+ within like a minute of starting the game and subsequently crashes because of the ridiculous heat. I have opened the side panel of my computer, turned my fans to max speed and it still crashes in less than a minute. I'v cleaned out any dust, scanned for viruses and cleaned my start-up programs. Nothing specific seems to be using anything above 1% in task manager and my gpu is spiking between 60-80% then back down to 0% every few seconds, even while idling.

sevenfolder27, May 5, 2016
  5. GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming [​IMG]

GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming [​IMG]

sevenfolder27, May 6, 2016
  6. MrNeeds Win User
    your fan speed is at 100% and it's not cooling it enough? GPU's can get to 90c without breaking a sweat usually, mine often goes beyond 85c and doesn't struggle, I fear it's something else to blame.

MrNeeds, May 7, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Badly cooled case is usually to blame for high heat.

CountMike, May 7, 2016
  8. GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming

I opened the side of my case and put a normal fan next to it, and it was still overheating. I spoke to my old computing teacher and he suggested that it might be a power supply problem. I have a workaround by capping the games at 30 fps, but with the new DOOM game 30 fps seems to crash the game for an unknown reason, so this workaround is not universal.

sevenfolder27, May 13, 2016
  9. zztemp Win User
    Anyone else think this "workaround" is a pretty bad idea ? :-/

zztemp, May 19, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    I do. It can be only temporary thing, in the long run any excessive heat is damaging.
    First thing would be to find exact source of the heat. CPU, GPU chipset, VRM etc. No amount of case cooling can substitute for cooling a component that is a true source of overheating.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming

1. GPU overheating less than a minute into gaming - Similar Threads - GPU overheating less

2. GPU appears to have less memory than it should

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU appears to have less memory than it should: Hello,So I've got an RTX A2000 gpu, which I know comes with 6 GB of memory.But, when I look at task manager, it shows that it only has 5.5 GB of memory.I'm not sure what caused this, but I do know that it used to say 6 GB a few days ago. Might be because of a recent update?...
  3. GPU appears to have less memory than it should

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU appears to have less memory than it should: Hello,So I've got an RTX A2000 gpu, which I know comes with 6 GB of memory.But, when I look at task manager, it shows that it only has 5.5 GB of memory.I'm not sure what caused this, but I do know that it used to say 6 GB a few days ago. Might be because of a recent update?...
  4. GPU appears to have less memory than it should

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Less GPU Memory than Default in games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Less GPU Memory than Default in games: Hi! I have an AMD Radeon 530 with 2GB VRam.I wanted to play some games, and it got me thinking, why does games like Stray say I only have 1.7gb VRAM while I have 2gb? Any help is appreciated !Thanks!...
  6. Less GPU Memory than Default in games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Less GPU Memory than Default in games: Hi! I have an AMD Radeon 530 with 2GB VRam.I wanted to play some games, and it got me thinking, why does games like Stray say I only have 1.7gb VRAM while I have 2gb? Any help is appreciated !Thanks!...
  7. Windows will shut down in less than a minute.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows will shut down in less than a minute.: After installing a windows update a while back, I keep getting a pop-up every once in a while saying "You're about to be signed out. Windows will shut down in less than a minute." Sometimes it happens a few times in a row, sometimes it doesn't happen for days. Also, Windows...
  8. Main Screen reverts to lock screen in less than a minute

in Windows 10 Customization
    Main Screen reverts to lock screen in less than a minute: My new laptop has a problem with staying either on the main screen or app after less than a minute of inaction. The screen dims and goes back to the lock screen and I have to enter my pin number again. What's up with this?...
  9. GPU Overheating

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    GPU Overheating: when i was playing a game my pc shutted down because of the gpu please help i cant fix this problem i have tried a lot of time to fix it but didnt please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpu-overheating/dd431c0b-b6e7-40b0-bee5-4d33fc255996
  10. USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive sleeps in less than 3 and a half minutes: I am astounded that Microsoft won't let us choose whether or not our USB drive goes to sleep. It sleeps in less than 3.5 minutes. I'm working on a file, and every time I want to save changes I have to wait for the drive to spin up before I can continue. It's like being back...