Windows 10: GPU preference for apps

Discus and support GPU preference for apps in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have NVIDIA GeForce MX 130 GPU in my laptop but still in the graphics settings tab, in the high performance GPU it shows the Intel's integrated GPU.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by HitarthVyas, Jan 10, 2020.

1. GPU preference for apps

I have NVIDIA GeForce MX 130 GPU in my laptop but still in the graphics settings tab, in the high performance GPU it shows the Intel's integrated GPU. While playing games I want the dedicated GPU to start. How to do? GPU preference for apps 7f57b9d2-e394-478a-a05b-0c56396ec34c?upload=true.jpg

:)

HitarthVyas, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Andreas Win User

GPU preference not working; what's the workaround?

I have a laptop in a docking station on which I cannot select GPU preference at autostart. The laptop has one integrated Intel GPU and one "extra" Nvidia GPU.

I can select GPU preference clicking the context menu which has the intended effect: my program reports Intel/Nvidia as graphics vendor as expected (using OpenGL API glGetString(GL_VENDOR)). However the application is supposed to be autostarted (semi-embedded scenario) and for what I know I cannot autostart it using a context menu (right?)

I've tried editing the windows registry, both manually and using the "Graphics Settings". Both GPU show up (Intel as Power Saving GPU, Nvidia as High Performance GPU). Despite what I set here the application says it is running the Intel GPU. Editing the registry I've tried setting both the program and system default GPU preference - with no effect whatsoever.

Starting the Nvidia control panel to set GPU preference opens a dialog saying "no display connected" and exits. Looking into dxdiag the display is connected to the Intel GPU, and there is another tab labeled "Render" where the Nvidia GPU is listed as "Render only display device". Maybe important, maybe not.

Google searches pulls me to pages where above solutions are suggested. They are obviously not working out for me.

I suspect the docking station is to blame since it works just fine without it.

Question: How to autostart my application with Nvidia GPU preferred, considering registry and Nvidia Control Panel fails and opening using context menu selection works?

Reading this discussion on docking station GPU issue, I followed the advice of one comment to configure duplicate displays instead of extended and registry GpuPreference=2 as default. Works great, but I'm not to happy about being limited to display duplication, and my program halts when switching between the modes, hence leaving the question open.

Andreas, Jan 10, 2020
  3. wolf Win User
    GPU-Z App for iPhone?

I'd be very interested in the app for remote monitoring, and like the above suggestion as a database on the go when out GPU shopping (or needing to settle a nerd argument about specs)

4. GPU preference for apps

Can't change printer preferences in Windows 10

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• What exactly happens when you try to go into printer driver settings from Control Panel?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps:

Step 1:

• Type change default printer and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Step 2:

• Type printers and scanners and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

GPU preference for apps

1. GPU preference for apps - Similar Threads - GPU preference apps

2. GPU Selection Preferences Not Honored by Some Applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU Selection Preferences Not Honored by Some Applications: I'm encountering an issue with my laptop's GPU selection preferences not being respected by certain applications. Details are as follows:Hardware:AMD Ryzen 6900HS processor with AMD Radeon graphics.NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU.Problem:Attempting to assign the NVIDIA...
  3. Amd Radeon GPU not showing in graphics preference

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Amd Radeon GPU not showing in graphics preference: Hlo...I have two gpu in my laptop one is intel Hd 3000 and other one is amd Radeon 7400 M but after the update of windows my valorant is not working because im not able to use my amd gpu in graphics preference option because it is not showing there both power saving gpu and...
  4. Amd Radeon GPU not showing in graphics preference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Amd Radeon GPU not showing in graphics preference: Hlo...I have two gpu in my laptop one is intel Hd 3000 and other one is amd Radeon 7400 M but after the update of windows my valorant is not working because im not able to use my amd gpu in graphics preference option because it is not showing there both power saving gpu and...
  5. set global preferred gpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    set global preferred gpu: Hi, I know it's possible to set preferred GPU app by app, but can I set one globally? My intention is to set iGPU as default and I'll just add "exception" apps that should run dGPU to save battery life. I've already set default gpu to igpu in nvidia control panel, but it...
  6. GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPU not available as graphics preference in windows settings: Hello, I am having issues getting some programs to utilize my dedicated graphics card on my laptop over the default integrated graphics. Normally this GPU would appear as the the high performance option in graphics settings but it is no longer there and I cant force certain...
  7. How to backup and restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to backup and restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft introduced a new Graphics settings page for […] This article How to backup and restore GPU Preferences for Apps in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Microsoft has now introduced a new Graphics settings page for Multi-GPU systems that allows […] This article How to reset GPU Preferences for Apps to Default in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. How to choose preferred GPU for programs?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to choose preferred GPU for programs?: Hi, I currently have 2 GPUs in my system. In the first slot is a RX 570 and in the second slot is a RTX 2080. I use the RX 570 as a display output, and I want to configure windows so that low power tasks are done on my RX 570, and high power tasks such as video rendering...
  10. Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10: How to: Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 How to Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft is introducing a new Graphics settings page for Multi-GPU systems that allows you to manage the graphics performance preference...