Windows 10: GPU under load makes the screen disappear

Discus and support GPU under load makes the screen disappear in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, When the GPU is under load (game or benchmark) and with the HDMI cable connect directly from it to the monitor it starts to freeze. On games,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by VilhenaBrasil, Dec 16, 2019.

1. GPU under load makes the screen disappear

Hello,

When the GPU is under load (game or benchmark) and with the HDMI cable connect directly from it to the monitor it starts to freeze. On games, for example, the screen starts to blink and of a sudden go black (it blink sometimes with the game image, and black for long periods again, and stay black). I have realized that when changed graphics setting from Highest to Lowest this problem is not so often. By the way, the game I was testing was Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

The problem is not the HDMI cable, since I have used it until now, and it works perfectly.

I can see in GPU-z that the port is working as it should (PCIe 16x 3.0).

I did also a GPU stress, and a test to see power consumption. GPU is working fine, as well as power consumption.

Meanwhile, I could realize that HWinfo reported errors for the PCI/PCIe bus, and the number of errors was increasing every time the problem comes up. Every time the screen blinked or goes totally dark, I did an alt + tab and checked the number of errors. They pretty much matched. It is like 2 blinks corresponding to +2 errors reported.

Edit 2 ----------------------------------

Finally, I have found what probably is causing these errors by the Event Viewer. The complete report of the error is:

"

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)
    Primary BusGPU under load makes the screen disappear :Device:Function: 0x0:0x1D:0x0
    Secondary BusGPU under load makes the screen disappear :Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
    Primary Device NameGPU under load makes the screen disappear :pCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A118&SUBSYS_115A1462&REV_F1
    Secondary Device Name:
    "

I know that is something related to intel chipset and my GPU because I can see that they share common resources under System Information > Hardware Resources > Conflict/Sharing > Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #9 - A118. The all my drivers and bios are up to date.

I have checked Google on how to prevent this error from coming up again, but I was not successful. WHEA is getting full of them, but just when I play or benchmark (and the problem returns, otherwise monitor is crystal clear).

Could someone give a little help?

:)

VilhenaBrasil, Dec 16, 2019

2. having issues with multi GPU

I’m trying to offload certain apps to my iGPU on the second screen, using the new graphics settings in the recent win 10 release. the issue is it’s only showing my 1070. lists it as both power saving GPU, and
    high performance GPU.

I’ve been fiddling for a while now with no joy, and i’m really hoping one of you guys has an idea they can suggest to sort this!

I can extend onto the second screen no probs with it plugged into the iGPU, but the 1070 is still listed as both power saving GPU and high performance GPU.

Are there requirements for this? certain level of iGPU for it to work?

Thanks

Edit - setting the secondary screen connected to the iGPU to be the "main" display in graphics settings makes my iGPU show as both power saving and high performance GPU, I just can't seem to get them
    to be one and not the other.

GaryDougall, Dec 16, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    GPU

Hi Michael

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Display Adapters section

You should see your GPU listed, along with possibly an integrated graphics option

If that is no listed there:

Boot into BIOS (start your system, then on the manufacturers screen, repeatedly press the appropriate key (usually F2) to enter BIOS

Under System Information, you should find your GPU listed

If you still cannot find the GPU listing, what is the Make and exact Model No. of your PC - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . ..

DaveM121, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

GPU under load makes the screen disappear

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

GPU under load makes the screen disappear

1. GPU under load makes the screen disappear - Similar Threads - GPU under load

2. BSOD everytime GPU is under heavy load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD everytime GPU is under heavy load: I built my PC around half a year ago, and it had been working perfectly fine until yesterday.My PC:i7-13700KMSI B760 Tomahawk2x32GB RAM DDR52TB SSD Gen 4RTX 4070Ti 12GB850W Gold ATX3.01440p + 1080p monitorsYesterday, I found that whenever I started Unreal Engine 5, the moment...
  3. BSOD everytime GPU is under heavy load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD everytime GPU is under heavy load: I built my PC around half a year ago, and it had been working perfectly fine until yesterday.My PC:i7-13700KMSI B760 Tomahawk2x32GB RAM DDR52TB SSD Gen 4RTX 4070Ti 12GB850W Gold ATX3.01440p + 1080p monitorsYesterday, I found that whenever I started Unreal Engine 5, the moment...
  4. PC crashing when GPU put under load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing when GPU put under load: Hiya, i have been having some issues with my pc for a while. Everytime i put the gpu under any sort of load it seems to crash and reboot back to desktop...I am really hoping it is not a hardware issue. I have tried a fresh install, but the issue persists,...Nvidia drivers and...
  5. Windows 11 crash to black screen when GPU under load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 crash to black screen when GPU under load: When my GPU is under load playing rocket league, so not huge load on my prebuilt desktop, sometimes the PC crashes to a black screen and becomes unresponsive, forcing a hard reboot. This occurs sometimes a minute or so after I quit the game and start doing something else....
  6. Windows 11 crash to black screen when GPU under load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 crash to black screen when GPU under load: When my GPU is under load playing rocket league, so not huge load on my prebuilt desktop, sometimes the PC crashes to a black screen and becomes unresponsive, forcing a hard reboot. This occurs sometimes a minute or so after I quit the game and start doing something else....
  7. GPU or PSU problem? Computer screen turns black when gpu is under load but computer...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU or PSU problem? Computer screen turns black when gpu is under load but computer...: I just built a new computer and all the parts are new and not used. After I built it, it worked fine for a while until randomly when I was playing games, the monitor would go black to no signal and while the computer continued to run and I was still able to hear in-game...
  8. Windows Login fails to load under 100% GPU load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Login fails to load under 100% GPU load: I do some 3D rendering on my laptop and these renders typically render from an hour to two hours and during this time, I lock my computer and close my laptop. My settings are set so that when I close the lid it would do nothing preventing shutdown. However, I've been...
  9. Crashing under heavy GPU loads

Crashing under heavy GPU loads: Hey guys, My computer keeps crashing under heavy GPU loads, was wondering if someone can help me narrow down the issue. Thanks.
  10. BSOD whilst GPU under load.

BSOD whilst GPU under load.: Hey guys, I've been getting BSOD (machine_check_exception) for the past two days whilst the GPU is under load with either a game or a stress test. I have re installed all drivers with no improvement. The BSOD usually happens within 10 minutes of loading but can sometimes be...