Windows 10: Granting two users different permissions to different folders

Discus and support Granting two users different permissions to different folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 PC that acts as a file share. Within this file share there are several hundred folders. I'd like to know if there is an easy to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sunilnm, Feb 10, 2016.

1. sunilnm Win User

Granting two users different permissions to different folders

I have a Windows 10 PC that acts as a file share. Within this file share there are several hundred folders. I'd like to know if there is an easy to grant two different users different permissions to these several hundred folders.

For example, I'd like like one users to be have full control to folders A, B, C and the other user to have full control to folder 1, 2, 3 - Neither of which should be able to see what access the other user has.

Is there an easy way to do that other than going to each folder and granting each user appropriate access?

:)

sunilnm, Feb 10, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

Two different user folders

Only one User folder. It is located on the (CGranting two users different permissions to different folders :) drive.

The other is not the Users folder.

lacrumb, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Two different user folders

Granting two users different permissions to different folders [​IMG]

Granting two users different permissions to different folders [​IMG]

It seems that I have two user folders. This keeps happening even after a new profile and an OS reinstall

DarkRookie22, Feb 10, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I have not tried this myself so you might want to try this with 2 or 3 folders first to see if it works.

Create a temporary folder for each user: UserATemp, UserBTemp, etc. Move the folders you want each user to access into their respective temporary folder. Set the proper permissions on the UserATemp folder. Then under the security tab click on advanced. On the advanced security and sharing window click the check box for Replace all child object permission entries.... then apply. Then move all the subfolders back to where you had them first.

NavyLCDR, Feb 10, 2016
  5. sunilnm Win User
    Unfortunately that did not work. The moment I move the folder over to the original subfolder, neither users are able to see any folders.

sunilnm, Feb 10, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Feb 10, 2016
  7. sunilnm Win User
    sunilnm, Feb 12, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Maybe try "Run as administrator" when you start it? But I have never actually used the tool myself... just found it on google.

NavyLCDR, Feb 13, 2016
  9. Probably not, but if its a windows 10 pro machine you could try creating new groups for the users and trying to give those groups permissions over the top folder while setting the security permissions to also deny access for the opposite group. Perhaps you could even skip the part about taking ownership or permissions and simply deny the opposite group access to the other's folders.

SpatialAnomaly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Granting two users different permissions to different folders - Similar Threads - Granting users different

2. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  3. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  4. how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?: Hi everyone,Is there a way to give access to multiple users to different subfolders all at once? or automatically?Here's the situation I'm facing: I have 500 users and 500 subfolders for them in our drive, and I need to give each one of them access to their folder only to...
  5. Get Permissions for User Folder on Different Installation of Windows 10

Get Permissions for User Folder on Different Installation of Windows 10: I recently upgraded my computer with a SSD. I tried to clone my HDD to the SSD but it failed. I reinstalled windows on the SSD but I don't have permission the access my user folder on the HDD. I am logged in with the same Microsoft account on both. I can boot to both easily....
  6. Get permission for user folder on a different installation of Windows 10

Get permission for user folder on a different installation of Windows 10: I recently upgraded my computer with a SSD. I tried to clone my HDD to the SSD but it failed. I reinstalled windows on the SSD but I don't have permission the access my user folder on the HDD. I am logged in with the same Microsoft account on both. I can boot to both easily....
  7. Granting user permission on files and folders

Granting user permission on files and folders: My brother was recently playing with the settings and ended up denying all kind of permission read, write, modify etc to my photograph folder. I had a tough time trying to fix it because i couldn't open it, nor copy it, even it's security tab was not readable. After enough...
  8. Permission For My Own User Folder On Different Computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permission For My Own User Folder On Different Computer: Hi - i searched for this but didn't find anything related to my exact situation I have a win 10 Pro laptop that won't boot - not sure why... Anyway, I took the SSD out, and used a USB adapter to get the files onto another computer. The drive loads fine and is visible on the...
  9. Two users, two different environments on a laptop

Two users, two different environments on a laptop: Likely a newbie question... I don't have a laptop so I can't check right now. Windows 10 x64 Pro two users. Is it possible to have two environments / desktops (maybe something like admin and guest?) on a laptop? which desktop showing up depending on the login credentials?...
  10. Two different user folders?

Two different user folders?: It seems like I have 2 users folders One with path C:\Users\[username] and the other [username] I only notice this if I pin the user folder to Quick Access. Pictures attached. 48467