Windows 10: Granting user permission on files and folders

Discus and support Granting user permission on files and folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My brother was recently playing with the settings and ended up denying all kind of permission read, write, modify etc to my photograph folder. I had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LenaCassandra, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Granting user permission on files and folders

My brother was recently playing with the settings and ended up denying all kind of permission read, write, modify etc to my photograph folder. I had a tough time trying to fix it because i couldn't open it, nor copy it, even it's security tab was not readable. After enough meddling i found if i go to advanced option in security tab and then change the owner to Authenticated Users, and clicked on "full control" then it allows me to enter the folder. I can unlock the pictures lying inside the same way. But the main problem is that there are a lot of pictures and i can't unlock them one by one like this. I thought unlocking the folder would unlock it all but somehow it didn't. I even tried checking and unchecking the 'apply this to all folders subfolders and files as well' box but to no good. Sometimes it even said i don't have permission to do so the command failed and i had to click ignore or cancel even though i had already changed the owner and can open the folder. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to unlock them all at once or do i have to do it one by one? Any kind of help or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

LenaCassandra, Jun 9, 2020

2. I want to grant permission to sub folders and files from parent using command.

I want to grant permission to sub folders and files from parent using command.

I tried to this command:

ICACLS "file or folder" /grant Everyone /t

This commands can grant permission to sub folders and files to 'Everyone' user.

But it is not I want.

Parent folder can be accessed by the following users:

IUSR

SYSTEM

and so on...

I want to inherit all users who have access to the parent folder to the subfolders or files.

In other words, ICACLS "file or folder" /grant (All Users with access to the parent folder ) /t

Is it possible?

Please help me~

seyoon (seyoon), Jun 9, 2020
  3. sunilnm Win User
    Granting two users different permissions to different folders

I have a Windows 10 PC that acts as a file share. Within this file share there are several hundred folders. I'd like to know if there is an easy to grant two different users different permissions to these several hundred folders.

For example, I'd like like one users to be have full control to folders A, B, C and the other user to have full control to folder 1, 2, 3 - Neither of which should be able to see what access the other user has.

Is there an easy way to do that other than going to each folder and granting each user appropriate access?

sunilnm, Jun 9, 2020
  4. j.col70 Win User

Granting user permission on files and folders

j.col70, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Granting user permission on files and folders

1. Granting user permission on files and folders - Similar Threads - Granting user permission

2. how do i grant my user special permissions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i grant my user special permissions?: the checkbox to enable special permissions is greyed out across all users on my computer. this is especially annoying as i'm trying to change where msfs 2020 is installed as my c drive only has 97gb free while my ext hard drive has >580gb of space but i cannot change where...
  3. how to grant appropriate permissions to access file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to grant appropriate permissions to access file?: how to grant appropriate permissions to access file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-grant-appropriate-permissions-to-access/32fb43b9-6461-4f90-a77c-adae23dfb1db
  4. how to grant appropriate permissions to access file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to grant appropriate permissions to access file?: how to grant appropriate permissions to access file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-grant-appropriate-permissions-to-access/32fb43b9-6461-4f90-a77c-adae23dfb1db
  5. Can't grant admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't grant admin permissions: When a "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" pops up, there is no option to type in a username and password. I recently changed my personal permissions to "Device Owner" and cannot give admin permissions to any application....
  6. Grant a single user permission to install/update a single app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Grant a single user permission to install/update a single app: My company has purchased a license for MS 365 Business Premium, so I can manage users via Azure AD and devices via Intune.Our bookkeeper uses a special software from a local retailer and it would be convenient if she was able to install any updates herself, without my doing...
  7. Grant Program Permission to Write Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Grant Program Permission to Write Files: Program is installed, upon first starting files are required to be written but access is not granted and I'm told to check permissions to folder in programdata, I've tried allowing everything but still the program has same error message. 179713
  8. Granting permission to network user to change files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Granting permission to network user to change files.: Hello there, Would you please help me to grant a permission for another computer( which is connected via network ) to change files. Thanks Ilhom...
  9. Granting two users different permissions to different folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Granting two users different permissions to different folders: I have a Windows 10 PC that acts as a file share. Within this file share there are several hundred folders. I'd like to know if there is an easy to grant two different users different permissions to these several hundred folders. For example, I'd like like one users to be...
  10. User Not granted Permission Logon Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Not granted Permission Logon Error: I have 3 PC's and one netbook all running Windows 10 Home. All PC's were upgraded from Windows 8.1 and the Netbook was upgraded from Windows 7. Before the Win 10 upgrades, all computers could see each other and share files within the network here at home. None require...