Windows 10: Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts

Discus and support Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks for those who want to try Arch Linux as a VM (or even as a Host) but have always felt a bit intimidated by it - there's an easy graphical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 17, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts

Hi folks
    for those who want to try Arch Linux as a VM (or even as a Host) but have always felt a bit intimidated by it - there's an easy graphical installer you can use . It will ensure also latest packages and kernel is installed (currently 5.9.8-arch1-1).

The installer simply asks a load of simple questions and then installs the whole thing for you -- you can get a running system working within about 10 mins even on modest hardware -- installs easily on VMWare, VBOX or even HYPER-V.

Choose your own GUI, keyboard layout, software etc. Unlike other distros the default only included basic -- no bloat so you can have a small lean system and you can partition manually or auto partition - installer contains a graphical package manager (GPARTED)

Here's the link to the installer :

Zen Installer download | SourceForge.net

Have fun - and don't be put off by reports that the system is too difficult to manage / administer.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 17, 2020

2. Arch is for Linux Power Users

Wow you really have bad luck.

I've made VMs of Centos, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint and various other distros and I've never experienced those issues.
    Installing drivers is horrible though. *Sad

Arch is for Linux Power Users.

lehnerus2000, Nov 17, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Hi there

I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host.

However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to the VM as the Windows HOST rejects the HDD wanting me to format it !!. There's 2.7 TB of media files on it - I want to test running media server in a VM.

Anybody know how to bypass the Windows nag prompt about the HDD and be able to attach it direct to the VM.

(The other way round is no problem -- never a problem loading NTFS HDD's on to Linux machines -- however the NTFS file system is SLOW compared with XFS -- on USB3 device on Native windows transfer rate of 1 TB of files from fast NTFS HDD to NTFS USB3 device is max 82 Mib/s - average for whole transfer. On same machine with Native Linux and XFS to XFS (using same HDD's and USB 3 port avg speed is 350 mib/s !! -- HUGE difference !!!).

Note I have to have a Windows Host for this --I know I could run Linux VM's from a Linux Host but in this case I do have to use a Windows Host as that will be the destination system at the end of testing.

BTW I'm running VMWARE workstation 12.1 on W10 Pro Host.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 17, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Hi there

re-installed vmware WKS 12, updated to 12.1 via automatic update -- now working fine -- no problem attaching HDD's with Linux Fs.

PLEX on Linux VM working fine and serving to remote TV's / Chromecasts using Linux HDD's. Host Windows 10 x-64 PRO.

Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts [​IMG]

Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Graphical installer for Arch Linux - VM really fast on Windows hosts - Similar Threads - Graphical installer Arch

2. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  3. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    arch linux installation failed in wsl.: I was trying to install arch in wsl.I downloaded arch.zip from github.then i double pressed the arch.exe and it started to installing.But suddenly load-shedding happen and my pc turned off.after a few seconds when i again trying to install arch then it gives me this...
  4. arch linux installation failed in wsl.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  6. Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Roll back to or update systm to specific date - Arch Linux VM's: Hi there I know a load here also experiment with Linux VM's Arch Linux makes it really simple and automatic via the pacman package manager- if updating your system has broken it or if you only want to update the system to a specific date since something has broken it then...
  7. Dual boot with Arch Linux

Dual boot with Arch Linux: I have windows 10 installed on a 1tb ssd booting in UEFI BIOS mode. I want to install arch linux on a seperate 120gb ssd. Ive previously installed arch a few times so i’m familar with its installation. However, i cannot seem to find any clear information on how to be able to...
  8. Arch Linux to Windows 10 issue

Arch Linux to Windows 10 issue: Hello, I tried Linux I don't like it. Id like to switch back to Windows 10. However, when trying to reinstall Windows it tells me i have a media driver missing. It won't tell me which one. I tried getting drivers from ASUS. That didn't work. I tried getting drivers from...
  9. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  10. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...