Windows 10: Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In)

Discus and support Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi guys With help from @muchomurka , I have managed to build a PC centred around some old parts I had - P5K Deluxe Wifi mobo, Intel Core 2 Q6600 (G0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rozel, Jun 30, 2020.

1. rozel Win User

Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In)

Hi guys

With help from @muchomurka , I have managed to build a PC centred around some old parts I had - P5K Deluxe Wifi mobo, Intel Core 2 Q6600 (G0 version), 8 GB ram and a Graphics card. This graphics card is a GeForce 8600 GTS Silent Fanless HTDP 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - see pic attached and the link below it.

Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In) [​IMG]

Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi Motherboard

I bought a cheap monitor on the bay, a HP EliteDisplay S231D. It seemed excellent and it is. However I wanted to connect one of the 2 DVI-D ports on the Graphics Card to the monitor which was advertised as having a DVI-D input socket. The monitor, when it arrived didn't have one of theses, rather a DisplayPort. Having bought a DVI-D/DisplayPort cable, I have quickly realised that the cable only works one-way, it is not bi-directional. If the Graphics card had a DisplayPort and the monitor a DVI_D port, then it would work but it does not, the other way round.

The monitor cost me only 59, less a 5 refund for the 5 cable (due to the incorrect advertising) and connecting from the Graphics Card using a DVI-D to VGA adapter which I have, to the VGA connector on the monitor, the picture looks quite good indeed, I must say. The mobo has its own sound system, so am not bothered about sound to the monitor - it only has pass-through anyway.

My question is: -

Is there a cheap way of connecting a DVI-D (OUT) to a DisplayPort (IN). If so, would I experience even better picture quality? I am aware that VGA signals are Analogue, whereas DisplayPort and DVi_D signals are Digital.

I could return the monitor - it's a 22" with a max resolution of 1920 x 1080p (which matches the Graphics Card) but I believe I would have to pay a lot more for one with a DVI-D port.

Hope someone can help

roz

:)

rozel, Jun 30, 2020
  2. swarfega Win User

120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable?

I believe HDMI for graphics cards is slowly on the way out. I currently use DVI-D for one monitor (simply because it doesn't have displayport) and displayport on the gsync enabled monitor. I think displayport will prevail and become defacto.

The DVI-D monitor is set to 144Hz and the displayport one is set to 165Hz.

swarfega, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Smallfoe Win User

I'm sorry but i don't see how that helps me at the moment since i got a older monitor than you *Biggrin sorry i'm dumb ^^

Smallfoe, Jun 30, 2020
  4. bobkn Win User

Yeah. I've been using DP for a while.

I am not overly fond of DP connectors, though. They don't seem to make very positive connections. I've disturbed mine just by poking around with other cables on the back of the PC. The old VGA and DVI cables were a bit of a pain, but they stayed put once screwed down.

bobkn, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Graphics Card (DVI-D Out) to Monitor (DisplayPort In) - Similar Threads - Graphics Card DVI

2. DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card: Hello I run a dual pc setup windows 10 x64. I have razer external capture card I use for streaming. Usually every other time I restart my gaming pc it will boot into hdmi connection instead of dvi port which will cause me to have too restart it again till I get my gaming...
  3. DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card: Hello I run a dual pc setup windows 10 x64. I have razer external capture card I use for streaming. Usually every other time I restart my gaming pc it will boot into hdmi connection instead of dvi port which will cause me to have too restart it again till I get my gaming...
  4. DVI monitor and hdmi external capture card

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. No dvi-d cable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No dvi-d cable?: Hey! I am trying to set my dell u2410 monitor up as a second screen for my laptop, now iv done everything I need to on the laptops side but the monitor just says "No dvi-d cable" what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?? Thanks for the help!...
  6. Graphics card monitor problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics card monitor problem: Hey guys i got a notebook today and i connected my monitor with hdmi cable to my notebook so i can have 2 screens. But when i unplugged hdmi cable (to bring my notebook somewhere else) and when i clicked on nvidia control panel it said that its not connected to current...
  7. DVI-D or DisplayPort to connect older NEC monitor to NVidia GTX 1080?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DVI-D or DisplayPort to connect older NEC monitor to NVidia GTX 1080?: I have an elderly NEC Multisync PA241W wide gamut photo monitor and a relatively new desktop computer with an NVidia GEforce GTX 1080. Using mostly SSDs with 64 gb ram and have virtual memory allocated to its own SSD. I don't game but I do use the computer for Adobe LR &...
  8. Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI: I have one samsung syncmaster t240 very old monitor that i bought used from someone because i could not buy 1920x1200 monitors where im located. I connect it to my dell xps 15 9550 via hdmi to hdmi cable with no issue. I previously had an asus monitor that stopped working...
  9. Graphic card or monitor problem?

Graphic card or monitor problem?: If when i retun computer from "display off" by moving cursor, my signal returns to dim or black (SOMETIMES), yes there is a signal, but there is a dim-black, or black signal, sometimes turning off and on monitor by button will result in blinking right picture and again goes...
  10. 120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable?

120hz Monitor, HDMI or DVI-D cable?: Hey there, my old 2nd monitor is about to die (see: Solved Dual screen issue, 2nd screen turns black ... - Windows 10 Forums) so i got a replacement. Now i figured thats this monitor is able to run 120hz and i sure as hell wanna use that. *Smile But i remember i did...