Windows 10: Graphics Card Guidance Needed

Discus and support Graphics Card Guidance Needed in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I'm looking for some guidance on what graphics card or graphics chipset to consider. The computer has a G620 processor at 2.6GHz and runs Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by tweakit, Feb 16, 2017.

1. tweakit Win User

Graphics Card Guidance Needed

I'm looking for some guidance on what graphics card or graphics chipset to consider. The computer has a G620 processor at 2.6GHz and runs Windows 10. It has a 380-watt PSU. The computer is used for playing web videos, web browsing, displaying photographs, playing DVD's, Netflix and using Office. It will be connected via HDMI to my 60 inch 4k TV and to a basic VGA monitor. It would be nice to play 4k content or blue ray disks in the future if possible. I don't do gaming. Here is one card that caught my eye but I'm not sure if it will fit my needs:
    MSI GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 GT 710 1GD3H LPV1 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x 8 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card - Newegg.com
    I don't mind spending more if necessary but not more than needed to accomplish the above. Any guidance or suggestions are appreciated.

:)

tweakit, Feb 16, 2017
  2. bcharas Win User

LiveKernelEvent 141 crashes when gaming on MSi GT62VR 6RE

Hey there Dan,

I'm running into an almost identical issue, also on a MSi GT62VR laptop. Could you point me in the direction of some guidance on how to flash the vBIOS on the graphics card? I tried googling it and am
    finding a lot of differing info.

Thanks!

Ben

bcharas, Feb 16, 2017
  3. Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 graphic card does not work a day after uograding from Windowa 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 (free version).

Nyima Yonten,

Update: Ran Nvidia's Geforce Experience again today and found new update driver, version 359.06 dtd 12/1/2015 for Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 graphics card. The driver was successfully installed by the download
    process, but monitor display did not improve after restarting computer. Device Manager Status of the graphics card still indicated a Code 43 problem discussed earlier. At wits end; further guidance appreciated.

Roy

RoyMurakami, Feb 16, 2017
  4. Graphics Card Guidance Needed

i think thats enough. you can go with the 2gb version if you want.

EDIT: The GT 710 up to GT 740 should support 4K 60hz but due to lack of a DisplayPort it won't work.

If you can find a GTX 750 with a DisplayPort, go for it!

RoasterMen, Feb 16, 2017
  5. tweakit Win User
    Not sure I understand the need for the display port. The TV needs HDMI and the older monitor is VGA.

tweakit, Feb 16, 2017
  6. The GT 710 should be more than enough then. But remember if you want movies to be played at 60fps, you'll need a DisplayPort.

RoasterMen, Feb 16, 2017
  7. BugMeister, Feb 16, 2017
  8. bobkn Win User

The asterisk on the specs says that the card will support 3840X2160 at 30Hz through its HDMI port. That's HDMI 1.4. The TV may support that refresh rate.

If you want 4k at 60Hz, that would require HDMI 2.0. (DisplayPort also supports 60Hz, but that 's probably irrelevant to a TV.) I wish that it was easier to discover which graphics cards support HDMI 2.0.

bobkn, Feb 16, 2017
  9. tweakit Win User
    Thanks very much to all for this good information. Based on roaster's comment and bugmeister's link i dug a little deeper to find that bobkn is very correct about this. the hdmi port is clearly ver 1.4 and as bobkn suggests, this is not readily apparent information. My TV does not have a Display Port and it takes HDMI 2.0 to support 4k at 60fps. There may be an exception (like gtx750 with HDMI?) but i think getting HDMI 2.0 usually means going to GTX 900 series or higher cards. I think what this means for me is to put the 4k at 60fps in the future bin and upgrade when i get more serious about it. That said, I should be able to do what I need with a GT 7X0 card. Let me know if I've missed something here and thanks again for all the help!

tweakit, Feb 16, 2017
  10. bobkn Win User
    I should have checked this earlier. Google comes up with:

Planning on Building a 4K HTPC But Need Some Advice? Read This

The page claims that the lowest-end nVidia card that supports HDMI 2.0 is a GTX 950.

The 950 can be fairly inexpensive, although the pricing that I see for it at Newegg is all over the place. eVGA directly offers a number of models, with the least expensive at $140US. I expect that lower prices are possible.

EVGA - Products - Graphics - GeForce 900 Series Family - GTX 950

The 950 is a full-height, two slot card, and you'd need a single 6 pin PCI-E auxiliary power connector. A 380W PSU should be adequate.

I'm not sure that it makes a lot of sense to build a 4k HTPC at this time, but it's not insanely expensive.

bobkn, Feb 17, 2017
  11. tweakit Win User
    Thanks bobkn. This is good information. For the present I'm not going to spend the $$ on a GTX950. By the time I actually need 4k and 60fps, these cards will be common and less expensive. For now, I'm leaning towards one of the GT710 cards which are very inexpensive. One remaining question is if there is any benefit to the 2GB version over the 1GB version? It seems from what I've read that it mostly matters for gaming which I'm not going to do. Any thoughts on 2GB v 1GB?

tweakit, Feb 17, 2017
  12. 1GB should be enough. Paying for the 2GB version is just a waste of money because the GT 710 can't even use it very well.

RoasterMen, Feb 17, 2017
  13. bobkn Win User

I don't know whether 2Gb would offer any practical advantage.

However, at Newegg, the least expensive 1GB GT710 is about $35US. The least expensive 2GB card is about $43.

EVGA GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 01G-P3-2710-KR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

GIGABYTE GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 GV-N710D3-2GL REV2.0 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Low Profile Video Card - Newegg.com

(The cards are from eVGA and Gigabyte, respectively. Both are tier 1 manufacturers.)

I think that a waste of $8 might be acceptable.

bobkn, Feb 17, 2017
  14. Give some thought to a larger PSU,perhaps 500w minimum.

joeandmarg0, Feb 17, 2017
  15. It would be totally pointless to put in a 500W power supply in this thing. The whole system barely consumes 300W.

RoasterMen, Feb 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Graphics Card Guidance Needed - Similar Threads - Graphics Card Guidance

2. need some programming guidance

in Windows 10 Support
    need some programming guidance: i have a practice management system in my dental practice, and we would like to be able to create an on-screen "sticky note" when a patient's account is pulled up. The patient account number is part of the title bar text, and my desire would be to have a text note or a...
  3. Graphics Card Needed for Minecraft?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Graphics Card Needed for Minecraft?: I get this message when my computer is switched on. 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure.Failing Drive: SATAOFailing Attribute: #05Have to press F1 to continue booting.I hadded a stick of DIMM. Still same message. I added second stick of DIMM, no message computer...
  4. Graphic card need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphic card need help: My computer has a GeForce GTX 960 in but my pc only loads on when it is on Microsoft basic display adapter , and when I try download driver update my screen just goes black and help? I’ve been trying to fix it for so long, it’s annoying submitted by /u/OwenJxcob [link]...
  5. Do you need a graphics card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Do you need a graphics card?: If you only use your computer for Microsoft Office and Internet surfing, do you need a graphics card? I do like having two monitors for working, so right now I have one monitor plugged into a Nvidia 660Ti graphics card and the other plugged into the motherboard for the Intel...
  6. Need guidance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need guidance: My sister needs a program that will let her make a burnable dvd/cd for a birthday present. I have absolutely NO experience in this field of things so I figured I would ask here. This program should be able to import and string together .jpgs, some video clips, music files...
  7. Need Some Graphic Card advice

Need Some Graphic Card advice: My pc's cards fan after 4 years just started making a whinning noise I don't know if I could take it out and grease the fan or not but I would rather just get a new card......Say $100 or less....And I'm not a gamer. My pc is a 2013 HP P-6 2400T / Intel 3.1 CPU / 12 gb's...
  8. Need Help Picking Graphics Card

Need Help Picking Graphics Card: I got a new PC, in a sense. The Acer I took to be fixed had died and he built me a PC using a Advent Windows 10 Tower. Long story short, it's a Advent Tower, Dell Monitor, Acer Keyboard and Mouse. To avoid my new PC dying , I need to get a graphics card so I can game. And...
  9. Need help finding a graphics card

Need help finding a graphics card: So I have been using the video card that came stock on my motherboard (the motherboard is the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3) and It is fine but a little laggy. I need a Video card that could handle these games at good settings Minecraft, Roblox, Spore, Sims 3 (EPs I have is...
  10. Guidance needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Guidance needed: I have set my desktop as I want it I don'tlike all those panels - some I guess I have to have. Now what I would really like is to click on Start and the on/off option/s to beat the bottom instead of having to click the three small bars at the top left handcorner to bring...