Windows 10: graphics cards

Discus and support graphics cards in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a 6 year old Dell XPS 8300 with new hard drive, PSU and monitor,keyboard and mouse. When it breaks I will get another and not sink money in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by maranna, Mar 30, 2017.

1. maranna Win User

graphics cards

I have a 6 year old Dell XPS 8300 with new hard drive, PSU and monitor,keyboard and mouse. When it breaks I will get another and not sink money in this one. I can use some of the parts.

The graphics card, NVidia, is horizontal and works OK.

I also have a similar port which is vertical but do not know what it is there for.

Is the one I am not using the integrated card?

If I plugged my DVI cable into it would I have to make any adjustments in order to be able to see my monitor or would it be visible as is?

Also, how do I know what cable I have. I used to have a VGA but got DVI when the old monitor failed. I do know whether it is DVI-I or some other type I have read about like DVI-R. Does it matter when I get another PC as long as it is DVI?

How could I tell if I have HDMI?

I am asking b/c I am a bit elderly & ill and have trouble with mobility or I would do some experimenting.

Thank you
    Peter

:)

maranna, Mar 30, 2017

2. Graphics Cards and Integrated Graphics

Hi Mike,

We acknowledge that you would like to set up your dedicated graphics card. We advise to contact the manufacturer of the graphics card for proper support and to get the right information on how you can set up your graphics card safely and properly.

Regards.

Jomel_Santos, Mar 30, 2017
  3. Graphics Cards and Integrated Graphics

To whom it may concern,

I have recently installed a dedicated graphics card in my Windows system, and in order to use 3 monitors, I had to force the integrated graphics processor on in the BIOS. Is there a way to switch the order that Windows detects the GPUs? In TSKMGR, it reports
    that the Intel HD Graphics 530 is GPU 0 and the nVidia GeForce GT 730 is GPU 1, and showing that only the 530 processor is being used for OpenGL,CL and DirectX. I want the nVidia GPU to b e GPU0 and the Intel HD 530 to be GPU1. Is this possible?

Thank you!

-Mike

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

MikeParker1, Mar 30, 2017
  4. bobkn Win User

graphics cards

graphics cards [​IMG]

I've attached an edited picture (from the XPS 8300 setup guide) with the onboard HDMI port outlined in red. (It's the rear input/output panel.) There is also a VGA (mini 15 pin) graphics port in the I/O panel. Those are the integrated graphics.

I don't know which nVidia graphics card that you have. Common video interfaces are VGA, HDMI, VGA and Display Port (or mini Display Port).

I'm not highly familiar with DVI, but the common ones are DVI-I (integrated, with both digital and analog signals) and DVI-D (digital only). If a cheap DVI to VGA adapter works, then the port is DVI-I. (VGA is analog.) There is also dual-link DVI, required for high resolutions (like 2560X1600).

This seems to be a reasonably good article:

Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia

If you wanted to switch to the integrated graphics, you might have to remove the separate graphics card. The Dell BIOS might be capable of switching to the integrated graphics if nothing was plugged into the nVidia card, but I wouldn't bet on that.

The nVidia card probably has better performance than the integrated graphics, so it'd be best to stay with that if you can.

If you wish to connect your PC to a monitor that only has an HDMI input, and the nVidia card has only a DVI port, there are cheap DVI-to-HDMI adapter cables. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ds=dvi+to+hdmi

HDMI includes audio, while DVI does not, but other than that it ought to work. (I've never done it myself, though.)

bobkn, Mar 30, 2017
  5. maranna Win User
    I guess it is best to bring my cable in when buying the next desktop. The cable that came with the monitor is blue on each end. I guess it depends upon the number of pins. Both blue ends look like the VGA I used to have as you screw them in on their sides. The monitor does not have VGA so they cannot be that and both have to be DVI-I or DVI-D I guess.
    I wish I knew if I had DVI-I or DVI-D but either would work I guess with a new PC.
    Thank you for the explanation.

maranna, Mar 30, 2017
  6. bobkn Win User
    That seems very strange. A VGA cable is a mini D connector with 15 pins (3 rows of 5). None of the other connectors look much like that. DVI is closest in appearance, but still not very close.

If you can download the setup guide (it's a .PDF), there's an illustration of the graphics connectors on page 9:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...s-8300/manuals

If you want believe the Wikipedia article, the setup guide isn't completely accurate, because the pinouts it shows for the DVI ports are dual link DVI-D. If you can connect a VGA monitor with a simple passive, cable, the DVI output has to be some sort of DVI-I (or DVI-A, which I have never seen in the real world).

bobkn, Mar 31, 2017
  7. maranna Win User
    I reached as far as I could and it seems I have made an error. It looks like the cable is VGA on both ends and there is a DVI port also on the monitor. I think I remember getting it this way so if I got a new PC it wold have the DVI port.
    I can't get to see the back of the monitor totally so could it be that the monitor has two ports- DVI and VGA while the PC is VGA from the beginning?

So now it is VGA to VGA and if new anew cable would be DVI to DVI .
    I am really sorry for throwing you off.
    Is there a way to tell if the DVI port is I or D without removing and counting pins?

maranna, Mar 31, 2017
  8. bobkn Win User

graphics cards

I suppose that you could get a cheap passive DVI-I to VGA adapter. If it works with you VGA cable, then the port is DVI-I.

That's not a serious suggestion - it wouldn't be much easier than looking at the connector on the graphics card.

I doubt that you'd need to know. I'd expect a new monitor to work with DVI-I or DVI-D. The only concern I'd have is if you went with a high resolution monitor that required a dual link DVI connection. According to the Wikipedia article, single link is OK up through 1920 X 1200 at 60 Hz. (Common monitors are 1920 X 1080.)

bobkn, Mar 31, 2017
  9. maranna Win User
    Thanks for letting me know it is DVI-I. I hope a new PC would work with this monitor as I only got it about 6 months ago.

maranna, Mar 31, 2017
  10. Rocky Win User
    If it is a fairly new monitor (you say about 6 months) then there should also be an HDMI jack in the back as well. HDMI has been the standard for several years.

Rocky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

graphics cards

1. graphics cards - Similar Threads - graphics cards

2. how do i fix my sound and graphic card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i fix my sound and graphic card: when i was using my pc i crashed randomly and now both my sound and graphic card is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-my-sound-and-graphic-card/2499b85c-0949-4e6a-9b04-0d0c5dddb32e
  3. how do i fix my sound and graphic card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i fix my sound and graphic card: when i was using my pc i crashed randomly and now both my sound and graphic card is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-my-sound-and-graphic-card/2499b85c-0949-4e6a-9b04-0d0c5dddb32e
  4. My graphics card have been changed and now my fps is super low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My graphics card have been changed and now my fps is super low: Sorry if my grammar is badAfter a year using windows 11, I decided to go back win 10 by using iso file on microsoft page. Everything normal until i play roblox and my fps is only 5!! , a massive drop down fps. I try to fix my problem, checking everything... And now i find...
  5. My graphics card have been changed and now my fps is super low

My graphics card have been changed and now my fps is super low: Sorry if my grammar is badAfter a year using windows 11, I decided to go back win 10 by using iso file on microsoft page. Everything normal until i play roblox and my fps is only 5!! , a massive drop down fps. I try to fix my problem, checking everything... And now i find...
  6. My graphics card have been changed and now my fps is super low

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. PC crashing with no BSOD. I'm not sure if it's a problem with a driver, the graphics card,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing with no BSOD. I'm not sure if it's a problem with a driver, the graphics card,...: To start things off, I bought an HP Gaming PC back in 2021 TG01-1000 series. I decided that I wanted to upgrade the PC's components over time and decided to upgrade the RAM and add a second Hard Drive during a Black Friday sale in 2022. Everything was working fine, until...
  8. PC crashing with no BSOD. I'm not sure if it's a problem with a driver, the graphics card,...

PC crashing with no BSOD. I'm not sure if it's a problem with a driver, the graphics card,...: To start things off, I bought an HP Gaming PC back in 2021 TG01-1000 series. I decided that I wanted to upgrade the PC's components over time and decided to upgrade the RAM and add a second Hard Drive during a Black Friday sale in 2022. Everything was working fine, until...
  9. How do I set the default graphics card for EVERY APPLICATION with windows settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set the default graphics card for EVERY APPLICATION with windows settings?: I have a laptop with an integrated AMD cpu with radeon graphics and a dedicated nvidia gtx 1650 but I would rather only have the integrated graphics be used when I set it to, for example: OBS, however windows automatically sets the GPU used to be integrated rather than...
  10. How do I set the default graphics card for EVERY APPLICATION with windows settings?

How do I set the default graphics card for EVERY APPLICATION with windows settings?: I have a laptop with an integrated AMD cpu with radeon graphics and a dedicated nvidia gtx 1650 but I would rather only have the integrated graphics be used when I set it to, for example: OBS, however windows automatically sets the GPU used to be integrated rather than...