Windows 10: Gray background active windows - does it exist yet?

Discus and support Gray background active windows - does it exist yet? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The bright-white folder background is awful in Window10. Unlike Windows 7, we could change the color of folder backgrounds to gray. Is there finally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mousegolf, Mar 23, 2016.

1. mousegolf Win User

Gray background active windows - does it exist yet?

The bright-white folder background is awful in Window10. Unlike Windows 7, we could change the color of folder backgrounds to gray.

Is there finally an option to do this as of March 24, 2016 in Windows 10 home premium?

:)

mousegolf, Mar 23, 2016
  2. Talarite Win User

cortana

All pc's originally had the gray box on screen. now only 1 does. Cortana speech recognition is active on all pc's. it works fine.the file path, C: windows> speech>common>sapisvr still exist. it just doesn't put the gray box on screen. speech recognition
    with the microphone icon doesn't appear in processes either. when I click end task on the one that does put the gray box up it takes it off screen and also removes it in processes, yet Cortana responds and works well with voice commands. still wondering why
    only 1 pc still puts the old gray box on screen. thank you. *bows gracefully*

Talarite, Mar 23, 2016
  3. DTab Win User
    Windows 10 Screen Auto Rotation Not Working/Option is not visible or available

Agreed. The problem is that the Rotation Lock icon is either grayed out (inoperable) or non-existent.

When I reboot my tablet, rotation will work for a while, but eventually ceases to work. When it works, I have an active Rotation Lock icon. When auto rotate stops working, the icon is grayed out, or gone.

Additionally, when auto rotate is working, Display Settings has a checkbox to enable auto rotate. But, when auto rotate is not working, there is no checkbox in settings to enable auto rotate. It just doesn't exist.

Also, switching to tablet mode does nothing to resolve the problem.

4. dencal Win User

You could try the following.
    Click on 3 dots (top right hand corner,) then Settings.
    Choose a theme...Dark....further down under Reading, change also to Dark.
    If Reading view is showing (Left of star top right corner) click on it.
    This also removes all adds and other distractions.

dencal, Mar 23, 2016
  5. mousegolf Win User
    Thanks. But I have tried everything there is on the Internet so far. What I am asking is there a patch by Microsoft or a third party app that will allow us to easily change the background of our File Explorer in Widows to Gray or whatever other color someone might like.

Personally I don't like the Black Black themes. If you look at the border around this post it's gray. That's the color the windows, when active, that I want to accomplish without Registry Hacks.

mousegolf, Mar 23, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    Open Settings, Personalization, Background, Solid Colour....where you can choose any colour you want.

dencal, Mar 23, 2016
  7. mousegolf Win User
    You are talking about Windows Desktop Background colors. I am talking about File Explorer (Folder) background colors. This is how it looks in Windows 7. This is what I want it to be in Windows 10.

Gray background active windows - does it exist yet? [​IMG]

You have tried twice, thank you. Now please do not post another suggestion. Allow another user who knows the answer to post a reply.

mousegolf, Mar 23, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

Instead of criticising someone try to help, you should choose your wording carefully,
    Your request colours round File Explorer.

dencal, Mar 23, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi mousegolf.
    We have a theme thread and some of the guys are really good at changing colors around the system. Of course, there are some areas that are like "snap-ins" and are fixed, but you'll see in their themes, you can accomplish a lot.
    Solved Windows 10 Themes created by Ten Forums members - Windows 10 Forums

The list is in the first post. Hope that helps.

EDIT: You can see an example here:
    Solved Windows 10 Themes created by Ten Forums members - Page 164 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Mar 23, 2016
  10. mousegolf Win User
    If you read my first sentence I said "thank you" then asked you to "please" not reply again. *Zip

mousegolf, Mar 23, 2016
  11. mousegolf Win User
    Thank you simrick. You were helpful.

mousegolf, Mar 23, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    You're quite welcome. I hope you can accomplish something with the help of the theme team!

simrick, Mar 23, 2016
  13. dencal Win User

Which it itself is an insult....remember it was you seeking advice....who are you to deny anyone the right to respond to a thread in this forum.

dencal, Mar 24, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    I confirmed with one of our "themers", and what you are trying to do in Explorer can't be done - not without something more substantial, like WindowsBlinds.

simrick, Mar 24, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Just install Qttabbar (Quizo's version) - free- and navigate thru the many options (some people have difficulty here) to find Appearance settings

E.g.

I've also done sthg that removes a lot of the off-white elsewhere.. sometimes it's a setting in a program (Thunderbird, Firefox, my Office software) - else it's a small reg hack that needs special support to reapply the theme after resuming from sleep e,g,

dalchina, Mar 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Gray background active windows - does it exist yet? - Similar Threads - Gray background active

2. Background partially grayed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Background partially grayed out: Hi,Most of the background has been grayed out except a portion in the middle. Has anyone seen this before?I have gone through the settings and so far nothing has fixed the problem. I know that monitor and graphic cards can do some strange things but this seems to be too...
  3. Background partially grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background partially grayed out: Hi,Most of the background has been grayed out except a portion in the middle. Has anyone seen this before?I have gone through the settings and so far nothing has fixed the problem. I know that monitor and graphic cards can do some strange things but this seems to be too...
  4. Background partially grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't activate Windows 0x8007232B DNS name does not exist

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate Windows 0x8007232B DNS name does not exist: Hello I'm getting pop-up window about activation of windows and I can not activate. I'm using this PC for years. Windows 8 was pre-installed when I bought this computer. Then upgraded to Windows 10. No problems until now. So I do not have licence key. It is quite fresh...
  6. Can't activate Windows 0x8007232B DNS name does not exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 0x8007232B DNS name does not exist: Hello I'm getting pop-up window about activation of windows and I can not activate. I'm using this PC for years. Windows 8 was pre-installed when I bought this computer. Then upgraded to Windows 10. No problems until now. So I do not have licence key. It is quite fresh...
  7. Can't activate Windows 0x8007232B DNS name does not exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Gray color spot background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gray color spot background: Hi, can you help me? When I havebackground in the picture below. Does anyone know what to do with it? a window reduced from maximization, I have such a gray [ATTACH]...
  9. Gray background of application changes to black.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gray background of application changes to black.: Hello all, I need some help. My window background changes to black. I try to change it back but I cannot. Please see screenshots below for illustration. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Any idea to change background back to gray as usual? Thanks in advance...
  10. does this exist

in Windows 10 Support
    does this exist: hi, i was wondering if it's possible to a windows 10 laptop with my phone, something similar to apple with the iphone and mac 53557