Windows 10: Gray screen coming and going while using my PC

Discus and support Gray screen coming and going while using my PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm running into a very frustrating problem- while I'm using my desktop PC, randomly the screen will just turn solid gray for no real reason for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Shawn Mulligan, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Gray screen coming and going while using my PC

I'm running into a very frustrating problem- while I'm using my desktop PC, randomly the screen will just turn solid gray for no real reason for a few seconds, then it goes away and the display is normal again. The duration varies, but there have been times where for upwards of 10-15 seconds my monitor is juts solid gray and I can't do anything.

I tried unplugging and replugging the monitor display cable and the issue persists so it's not that. Any idea what it is? I don't think it's the "gray screen of death" because it doesn't stay there for very long, but it is becoming increasingly frequent and very, very annoying.

:)

Shawn Mulligan, Mar 9, 2021

2. "Gray Screen of Death"

Thanks for your informative post!

I had solved my 2D & gray screen issue using advice posted by erocker (see below)
    Mainly it involves creating a profile and putting higher 2D clocks:

Black Panther, Mar 9, 2021
  3. gray screen

when i play cod mw2 sometime into a match my new asus 5770 that i just got today will stop on a frame then go to a gray screen then my monitor will go into power saving mode then come back on and windows will say that the display driver had stopped working and then says it has recovered and its been doing this eveyrtime and i dont know whats causing it

leemerlord, Mar 9, 2021
  4. jwebby Win User

Gray screen coming and going while using my PC

"Gray Screen of Death"

Great post! I have a Sapphire HD 5750 sitting on the shelf going to waste due to the gray screen crash. I run dual monitors and mine crashes randomly in 2D and is guaranteed to gray screen playing any kind of video.

A few months ago I tried this method to no avail. The clocks stayed up just fine but it didn't help my crashing problem.

This post has motivated me to maybe find a reference HD 5750 bios of another brand and try flashing.

I've never flashed a video card, any suggestions or links where I might find a bios and flash utility?

Thanks again for the great post.

jwebby, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

Gray screen coming and going while using my PC

1. Gray screen coming and going while using my PC - Similar Threads - Gray screen coming

2. windows 11 pc randomly going into sleep mode while using

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 pc randomly going into sleep mode while using: My windows 11 pc is going into sleep mode randomly while using. It started after an update and I have already checked the power configuration, manually changed to old drivers from device manager and even reinstalled windows 11 but the problem still persists. I also ran sfc...
  3. windows 11 pc randomly going into sleep mode while using

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 pc randomly going into sleep mode while using: My windows 11 pc is going into sleep mode randomly while using. It started after an update and I have already checked the power configuration, manually changed to old drivers from device manager and even reinstalled windows 11 but the problem still persists. I also ran sfc...
  4. gray box in the corner of my screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    gray box in the corner of my screen: I need help getting this transparent gray box off my screen It wont let me turn on my camera for my classes because it uses my camera, I already uninstalled AVG to see if that was the problem but its still here I tried restarting my computer and updating it but it is still...
  5. Black screen of death while using PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen of death while using PC: Hi, I've been using an MSI GL-63 laptop for a bit now - a year ago the hard drive was replaced due to the manufacturing one being defective by a tech repair person, but since then everything's been fine until now. Recently the past 4 days, while browsing or doing something...
  6. Screen going black after not using it for a while

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen going black after not using it for a while: This started today and I don't know why it is happening I tried to do a virus scan to see if it would help but it I didn't. I looked to see if I had some kind of screensaver or some power saving feature on but I didn't. I Think the best information I can give is from the...
  7. when I go to camera the screen comes up gray w/ pic of camera with a cross out sirn.... no...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when I go to camera the screen comes up gray w/ pic of camera with a cross out sirn.... no...: camera is not working comes up ongray screen with pic of camera crossed out... no visual for video too.. cant find how to fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-go-to-camera-the-screen-comes-up-gray-w-pic/93086abc-f38b-46b1-9f11-c9d73598137e
  8. Why does my screen go gray and freeze intermittantly after it loads the window screen

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does my screen go gray and freeze intermittantly after it loads the window screen: not related to recent windows updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-screen-go-gray-and-freeze/ca701ac0-c167-4de7-b672-bd4a776fe7b0
  9. My screen appears in gray.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My screen appears in gray.: I have Windows 10 and nephews very restless; I do not know how they have placed my screen gray. So if suddenly, the screen appears in gray, I would appreciate beforehand how to fix it....
  10. Windows going in a circle of gray screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows going in a circle of gray screen: I decided to get off of Windows insiders so I got a Windows 10 iso file and burnt it to a disk. I tried to install Windows 10 with clean install and it came up with a blue screen. I then could not boot into the insider preview and it just came up with a gray screen then my...