Windows 10: Gray Xs on files in Explorer

Discus and support Gray Xs on files in Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recently noticed that my older files in Explorer before a certain date (basically 2017 and before) have a gray "x" on them and they don't seem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Karen Cordry, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Gray Xs on files in Explorer

I have recently noticed that my older files in Explorer before a certain date (basically 2017 and before) have a gray "x" on them and they don't seem to open anymore. Any idea what on earth is causing this? I NEED them! Help!

:)

Karen Cordry, Oct 29, 2019

2. Gray bar at bottom of each folder in large icons view

• What are the changes made or things you've done before the issue start? I ran hitmanpro.
    • Do this gray bar displays on all folders and files in the File Explorer?
      The gray bar does display on all folders in the File Explorer but not individual files themselves. The gray bar only displays on all folders in view as Extra Large Icons, Large Icons, and Medium Icons. The gray bar does not show when view is either in Small
      Icons or List, or Details.
    • Does the folders and files with the gray bar can still be accessed successfully?
      Yes all folders with the gray bar and the individual files in the folders can be accessed.
    I am currently running System File Checker and will let you know if that works.

If if doesn't work then I'll run DISM or System Update Readiness tool as suggested.

Thank you so much.

*UPDATE*

The results of System File Checker says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Now I'll run DISM or System Update Readiness Tool as suggested.

aries2ganymede, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Gray Xs on files in Explorer

"Gray Screen of Death"

Thanks for your informative post!

I had solved my 2D & gray screen issue using advice posted by erocker (see below)
    Mainly it involves creating a profile and putting higher 2D clocks:

Black Panther, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Gray Xs on files in Explorer

1. Gray Xs on files in Explorer - Similar Threads - Gray files Explorer

2. "options" in file explorer is grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "options" in file explorer is grayed out: HiI'm under windows 10 and file explorer has several issues.Currently, file explorer displays no thumbnails and "options" is grayed out. If I right click on a file and presses "open with", it completely freezes explorer, I cant even alt-tab, I have to terminate it.On other...
  3. "options" in file explorer is grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "options" in file explorer is grayed out: HiI'm under windows 10 and file explorer has several issues.Currently, file explorer displays no thumbnails and "options" is grayed out. If I right click on a file and presses "open with", it completely freezes explorer, I cant even alt-tab, I have to terminate it.On other...
  4. "options" in file explorer is grayed out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "options" in file explorer is grayed out: HiI'm under windows 10 and file explorer has several random issues.Randomly, it will stop showing file thumbnails and have "options" grayed out. Sometimes it will not display folders' content, sometimes it will. It's very annoying.It's fixed by rebooting, but I don't want to...
  5. File explorer 11 have a gray bar at top.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer 11 have a gray bar at top.: You can see the grey bar and white bar. The white bar may look a whole white, but it is fragmented by the menu task of file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-11-have-a-gray-bar-at-top/a78939f9-843b-4958-95b2-9c1508dd747c
  6. File explorer 11 have a gray bar at top.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer 11 have a gray bar at top.: You can see the grey bar and white bar. The white bar may look a whole white, but it is fragmented by the menu task of file explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-11-have-a-gray-bar-at-top/a78939f9-843b-4958-95b2-9c1508dd747c
  7. Extract and Compressed Folder Tools in File Explorer grayed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extract and Compressed Folder Tools in File Explorer grayed out: Hi,Trying to unzip .gz file. When I clicked on it, Extract and Compressed Folder Tools in File Explorer appear but are grayed out.I tried to set default app for GZ through Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Choose default app by file type, it says "There is no installed app for this...
  8. Share button gray in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share button gray in file explorer: Hi to all, when i select a directory for share and select the share tab, the share button don't work. [img] Why? 171028
  9. Red Xs on files and other problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Red Xs on files and other problems: Recently my laptop is showing some problems, and I can't find the solution anywhere. I apologize for my lack of technical language and eventual errors, english is my second language. It all started when some of the files in my desktop got marked with a red xas well as...
  10. windows explorer crash and show gray

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows explorer crash and show gray: Source Windows Explorer Summary Stopped working Date ‎11/‎14/‎2019 8:25 PM Status Report sent Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Explorer.EXE Application Version: 10.0.18362.449...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. app-v file have grey x

2. grey xs on files

3. file explorer gray x

4. WINDOWS graY EXPLORER,
  5. why do some photo files have xs on them in file explorer,
  6. why are there grey xs on my images windows 10