Windows 10: GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??

Discus and support GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched? Re: Doesn't One of These Patches Require Flashing The Bios? I did not run Gibson's InSpectre some... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by phaedruspress, Mar 26, 2018.

1. GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??

GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched? Re: Doesn't One of These Patches Require Flashing The Bios?

I did not run Gibson's InSpectre some three weeks or so ago when I was unceremoniously updated from 1703 to 1709. I thought that either Meltdown or Spectre patches required a bios update from the manufacturer. I have not updated my bios yet when I ran InSpectre this morning it shows both Meltdown and Spectre patched. What's up with that? TIA.

GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched?? [​IMG]

did not install this:

did one of these updates patch either Spectre or Meltdown? TIA. Win 10 pro.

Thinkpad P51 BIOS ver

:)

phaedruspress, Mar 26, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

virus

Hi Peter, click the link to download InSpectre, it will inform you if you are vulnerable or not to Spectre or Meltdown:

GRC | InSpectre  

DaveM121, Mar 26, 2018
  3. meltdown cpu

system meltdown protected:no

system is spectre protected:no

performance:good

nakdickson, Mar 26, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??

The i7-7700 counts as a "Kaby Lake" processor. MS issued Update tutorial on how to do that, based on KB4090007, last Friday. I must presume you have it installed on that system.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Thanks for the info however in the pic that I posted above I do not see KB4090007 installed so how did I get updated? Also if I go to uninstall updates I see this below and no installed/ uninstall KB4090007. Thanks.

6. EdTittel Win User
    OK, then: this is non-obvious. I figured that if the items were showing patched, you must've applied the MS fix. Did Lenovo offer an earlier BIOS/UEFI firmware fix around the beginning of the year? While some of those were flawed, some of them did indeed fix the problem. Microsoft, for example, got a patch out early in January, and so did some other vendors, with varying degrees of success. Otherwise, I have NO CLUE as to how your P51 got fixed. Sorry to have gone barking down a false trail. The Kaby Lake connection seemed pretty sure to me. But apparently, I was wrong about that, so I apologize for my mistake.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 26, 2018
  7. @EdTittel

>Did Lenovo offer an earlier BIOS/UEFI firmware fix around the beginning of the year?

BINGO! I have this BIOS version installed, 1.17:

On 22 Dec 2017 Thinkpad P51 BIOS v1.17 BIOS update was released on the Lenovo Support website. The Readme file advised it included an enhancement to address CVE-2017-5715, viz. Meltdown / Spectre vulnerability.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Securit...t/td-p/3948173

According to the link above the BIOS version I have 1.17 can be problematic or sketchy and if you believe what is written it was actually pulled (that makes me feel good)

Also in the pic above there is a "critical" BIOS update available to version 1.20. You can also see it available here:

Downloads Detail ds121296

So late Dec. when this BIOS update was made available I had only had the new notebook for a few weeks and while I can not actually recall flashing the BIOS to 1.17 apparently I did no doubt under the spell of a brand spanking new computer : )

Sooo....While the machine appears to be stable I have read more then one article that indicates the fixes for Spectre and Meltdown may not be ready for Prime Time and I am suspicious of flashing up to 1.20 since all things considered I am mostly happy when the computer just boots up successfully each morning. In fact I have been toying with the idea if using the InSpectre tool to disable the Spectre and Meltdown patches now though I know that this is ill advised.

>The Kaby Lake connection seemed pretty sure to me. But apparently, I was wrong about that, so I apologize for my mistake.

Absolutely no need to apologize. You and others have helped me so much with other questions. Since the second week of December last year I have gone from an Intel Celeron processor 900 (win 7) to the Lenovo P51 Thinkpad Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor and the jump was dramatic to say the least and no doubt I will have many more questions to come. Thanks again for your time and assistance.

8. EdTittel Win User

If 1.20 is out as an improvement to 1.17, I'd be inclined to upgrade to take advantage of the learning that's occurred since the first round of BIOS/UEFI updates came out. Lenovo has been VERY cautious in its second round of updates, so I'd be more inclined to jump ahead than stay behind myself. That said, conventional wisdom on BIOS/UEFI Upgrades is to install them only if you can't do without them. Given that your P51 is behaving itself, you can take a couple weeks to a month to see how many of the "other pioneers" come back with arrows in their backs before deciding whether or not to apply the upgrade.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 26, 2018
  9. Heheh! I like the "other pioneers" tag rather then the relatively pedantic "early adopters." Thanks.

phaedruspress, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched?? - Similar Threads - GRC InSpectre Shows

2. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  3. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  4. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  5. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  6. Spectre and meltdown test

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spectre and meltdown test: Is there a way I can test for recent spectre vulnerabilities on win 10? All the tools I find online do not test for more recent issues submitted by /u/nocturnal_complex90 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k4un5t/spectre_and_meltdown_test/
  7. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  8. Spectre / Meltdown Looms?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Spectre / Meltdown Looms?: Maybe arriving soon? See http://www.securityweek.com/malware-...-flaws-emerges 103802
  9. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

in Windows 10 Support
    Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!: Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old and out of date laptop. I must agree that my laptop is pretty old (HP Elitebook 8770W 5 years old). But I really never felt...
  10. Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?: So after arriving home from holidays I noticed windows was installing the latest patches including the one for the recently discovered vulnerabilities. After 1-3 days problems started to appear, my computer would randomly freeze, first I wouldnt be able to click anything,...