Windows 10: Green Leaf suspend process and Photos

Discus and support Green Leaf suspend process and Photos in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 I have several pictures open in photos, and according to the Task Manager, it is using 663 MB of RAM. This seems about right as they are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Gorgor666, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Gorgor666 Win User

Green Leaf suspend process and Photos

Windows 10

I have several pictures open in photos, and according to the Task Manager, it is using 663 MB of RAM. This seems about right as they are rather large.

In Task Manager, every few seconds, the green leaf comes up for Photos, and the RAM drops down to almost nothing. Then a few seconds later, the green leaf disappears, and RAM goes back up to 663 MB.

If it's truly temporarily returning the RAM for other processes to use, and suspending the process to save energy, as the green leaf description seems to suggest, the computer must be doing a ton of electronic work shoving this 663 MB out somewhere for a few seconds, then loading it back into RAM again, over and over and over and over and over.

The cycle is about 10s no green leaf with RAM use, then 4s green leaf with almost no RAM use.

What is it doing, and is this massive electronic shift not actually very green at all?

And this seems related: My whole system locks up for a few seconds while the RAM is paging back in from wherever it goes during green leaf. This was what made me look into the task manager to see what was hogging the CPU. I only coincidentally noticed the green leaf appearing and disappearing, along with the massive RAM disappearance for Photos.

Test: Hold down a letter key and it repeats. Green leaf disappears and the autotype pauses, frozen at the same moment. Large RAM use appears for Photos and autotype resumes.

I can only guess Photos is doing something periodically, thwarting the OS assumption it is a program ok to suspend. Perhaps the green leaf facility should monitor fussbudget programs like Photos and not suspend them after the first 10,000 cycles.

:)

Gorgor666, Dec 16, 2020

2. Taskmgr: process with the "green leaf icon"?

The green leaf icon in Task Manager indicates that a process is suspended. Suspending a process saves energy, and Microsoft chose to represent this with a green leaf. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Riley Lynn Nairn, Dec 16, 2020
  3. Martmcd Win User
    green leaf icon

where are you seeing the green leaf icon?

it is shown in task manager indicating processes that are currently suspended. it does nothing itself. in order to stop it showing here you would have to prevent processes from being suspended.

it appears in the taskbar (on the battery icon) when it is in battery save mode, to prevent the green leaf icon you need to prevent the device going into battery saver mode - settings -> system -> battery. untick battery saver.

if you are seeing it somewhere else, please provide a screenshot

Martmcd, Dec 16, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

Green Leaf Icon?

Viewing task manager now there are four green leaf icons.
    Hovering over them with the mouse displayed the same message:

Code:
    The icons appeared in the rows for: Microsoft Edge (37) , Cortana (2) , SkypeApp (2), Windows Shell Experience Host

When the down arrow was expanded it displayed rows with suspended.
    For Microsoft Edge there were 21 displaying suspended.

The Microsoft Edge displayed (37) with the green leaf icon.
    However it was not suspending all 37.
    When the down arrow was expanded there were 21 of 37 webpages displaying suspended.

UWP is Universal Windows Platform:
    What's a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app? - Windows UWP applications | Microsoft Docs

zbook, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Green Leaf suspend process and Photos - Similar Threads - Green Leaf suspend

2. League of Legends keeps getting suspended by "UWP" green leaf logo on task manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    League of Legends keeps getting suspended by "UWP" green leaf logo on task manager?: My League of Legends randomly gets suspended while playing the game. I have no issues with any other games. I've tried almost everything to fix it, reset windows, checked for RAM errors, or any PC problems, got new RAM sticks, turned off background apps, nothing helps it. Any...
  3. League of Legends keeps getting suspended by "UWP" green leaf logo on task manager?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    League of Legends keeps getting suspended by "UWP" green leaf logo on task manager?: My League of Legends randomly gets suspended while playing the game. I have no issues with any other games. I've tried almost everything to fix it, reset windows, checked for RAM errors, or any PC problems, got new RAM sticks, turned off background apps, nothing helps it. Any...
  4. League of Legends keeps getting suspended by "UWP" green leaf logo on task manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Search Bars and Green Leaf This UWP process is suspended ...

in Cortana
    Search Bars and Green Leaf This UWP process is suspended ...: I cannot type on the search bar near start button, and on the file search bar in folders. Also, I cannot type on microsoft store search bar. Furthermore, I cannot use kp_enter and backspace on calculator. I can only write 5*7 but cannot use kp_enter to get 35. Similarly, I...
  6. Cortana - Suspended green leaf icon in Task Manager - Search function Does Not Work

in Cortana
    Cortana - Suspended green leaf icon in Task Manager - Search function Does Not Work: For some reason when I booted up my computer this morning, the Search function on the taskbar does not work. I can click on the magnifying glass but nothing pops up in the window and when I type something in, nothing pops up. So I went to the Task Manager and discovered...
  7. Cortana - Suspended (green leaf icon) in Task Manager

in Cortana
    Cortana - Suspended (green leaf icon) in Task Manager: Hi, I have been facing this problem of Cortana not working for more than a fortnight now, and despite my interactions with your execs, i have practically reached nowhere. And now there is Green Leaf Icon against Cortana in the Task Manager. Please advice. I am not able to...
  8. Green Leaf Being Disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Green Leaf Being Disabled: So I use Firefox as my Web Browser. I'll be loading a given page like Gmail for instance. And then presto it crashes. I load up Task Manager to force close and start again . When I see this Green Leaf thing in there. After doing some research it appears to be an auto...
  9. green leaf icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    green leaf icon: how can i disable it? or better yet delete it i dont care what it's supposed to do i know i want it out of my computer its been driving me crazy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/green-leaf-icon/6f18bedf-c33a-413c-9e31-8431bdef0642
  10. Green Leaf Icon?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Green Leaf Icon?: Hi, Can anyone tell me, what the green leaf icon represents in Task Manager? This is the first time I've seen this and I have no idea what it is. [img] 109216