Windows 10: Green ribbon and slow windows explorer

Discus and support Green ribbon and slow windows explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every time I open windows explorer it locks up my whole PC for several minutes while it does *something* that involves a green status ribbon filling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hunterjwizzard, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Green ribbon and slow windows explorer

Every time I open windows explorer it locks up my whole PC for several minutes while it does *something* that involves a green status ribbon filling the address bar. If I leave it sitting on "This PC" it sometimes does it again and again.

I do not care what service Windows thinks it is providing with this status ribbon, I want to disable it so I can actually use my file browser on occasion.

Is there any possible way to make it stop doing this?

System is running Windows 10 Pro version 1903 with Windows Updates disabled.

Hardware:

Asus Z10pe-D16-WS
    2x Xeon E5-2643 v3s
    64gb RAM(2x 32gb)
    2x nVidia GTX 1070 ti

Drives:
    C:\ 900gb SAS RAID5 array
    500GB M.2
    120gb SSD
    DVD RW
    8TB
    2TB

I have quite a lot of files. I'm fairly sure the stupid "ribbon" thing is somehow related to opening all 80,000 of them up to take a new thumbnail. I don't want it to do this. I don't need the thumbnails, just the names.

Please help.

:)

hunterjwizzard, Dec 11, 2020

2. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not being able to see picture thumbnails is a pain. I turned thumbnails on for the Pictures folder only and the never ending green ribbon is back. Possibly a related problem: with thumbnails off (or on) if I left click on a video file in the Videos volder, file explorer hangs and I have to end it with Task Manager.

I have heard that by ending the dllhost.exe process/service, the green ribbon goes away, but so does W10 security and stability.

Suggestions on how to fix are appreciated.

Without a properworking File Explorer, W10 is not really a suitable OS.

Graywuhllf, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar

@prairie, Welcome to TenForums!

There are two places where you can change File Explorer's search options, too many options turned on may be slowing the search and causing the slow progress of the green progress bar. The first is covered in this Tutorial.

Green ribbon and slow windows explorer [​IMG]

File Explorer Options - Open in Windows 10

The second is the 'Advanced options' on the 'Search' ribbon, click in File Explorer's 'Search this PC' box to show this ribbon.

Green ribbon and slow windows explorer [​IMG]

4. Ahhzz Win User

Green ribbon and slow windows explorer

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Green ribbon and slow windows explorer

1. Green ribbon and slow windows explorer - Similar Threads - Green ribbon slow

2. Windows Explorer doesn't show ribbon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer doesn't show ribbon: Windows Explorer doesn't show ribbon and there's no drop-down arrow to toggle that, or Ctr+F1 has no effect. [ATTACH] Windows 10 Pro Winver 20H2 Build 19042.746 Explorer almost looks like Win7, if I remember that correctly. Steps taken to resolve: Tried Repair Windows...
  3. Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer slow/green bar: I recently upgraded to windows 10 20H2. I had a number of issues after this upgrade including, but not limited to, a black flickering screen, that could only be resolved by a reboot. I used the option to revert to the previous version on windows 10 and am now on windows 10...
  4. Missing Explorer Ribbon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Explorer Ribbon.: I have no explorer ribbon and not sure what happened to it. Been rather busy lately with other things, so maybe it was never there on install and didn't take notice... not sure. I just know it's not there now. Any help greatly appreciated. 115512
  5. The ribbon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    The ribbon in File Explorer: Has any one figured out how to take the system tab off the ribbon in File Explorer? 28956
  6. Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?: Can't remember what I did when tweaking indexing. But now I note that when I search on iExplorer, I've got to wait a rather long time for the green line to complete its course before the search is completed. Now, I generally do use and have been using Everything for my...
  7. Green ribbon of death on W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Green ribbon of death on W10: Well, the problem begins when image/video thumbnails disappear, so, we can just see the icons. Then, if you open a folder, some folders inside haven't icons, as some files. To finish the problem, Files Explorer gets a green ribbon of death: can't load at all. It doesn't...
  8. Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Explorer search has that slow green bar: I use the WindowsKey-E to bring up File Explorer (FE). I want to search for something in indexed locations. FE comes up with "This PC" in the "where to search" bar. That's fine... that's what I want. When I type something in, I get the slow green bar coming across. I don't...
  9. Windows explorer very slow (green bar)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer very slow (green bar): My windows explorer used to be very fast. Then I tried to decompress a zip file, and cancel it. Now it is very slow. symptoms: -When I press (Windows)+E nothing happens until some minutes later (before it opened winosw explorer instantly) -when explorer is open I...
  10. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death: When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not...