Windows 10: GREP process find.exe consumes ~60% of the CPU

Discus and support GREP process find.exe consumes ~60% of the CPU in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Starting yesterday i have some process called GREP starting as soon as i log into Windows 10 and it consumes a ton of CPU, around 60% of an Intel 9900.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DmitryKorchemkin, Nov 6, 2020.

1. GREP process find.exe consumes ~60% of the CPU

Starting yesterday i have some process called GREP starting as soon as i log into Windows 10 and it consumes a ton of CPU, around 60% of an Intel 9900. Going to its location i end up in system32/find.exe. Google so far has produced 0 results on what that might be. I tried running windows defender and a standalone Dr.Web CureIt! in safe mode, but they don't think it's a virus.

I assume it's some sort of an indexing thing but why won't it ever finish its job? I left it to run for a day to see if maybe it's just indexing some new stuff but it still persists. Would appreciate any help or insight on what it is and how to fix it. So far killing it manually on startup helps.

P.S. Tried to make a dump of the process to link it here but it's 2.5GB... Something's definitely not right with it.

:)

DmitryKorchemkin, Nov 6, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

System and compressed memory background process persistently consuming high CPU resources

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

2. Which anti-virus program is installed on the PC?

High CPU usage occurs for various reasons, for example: virus/malware infections, out-of-date drivers, anti-virus programs or other third-party programs, etc;

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Method 2: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Steps to reduce the CPU usage.

1-Press "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" on your keyboard. This brings up the task manager without any intermediary screen.

2-Click the "Processes" button on the task manager.

3-Click the "CPU" column header until the arrow next to the label points down.

4-Right-click a program you recognize that uses a high percentage of the CPU and click "End Process." Click "End Process" to reconfirm. This eases up on the CPU's load. Use this step if you're not using a process or if the process has stopped responding. Do
    not use this procedure for windows processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Nov 6, 2020
  3. One of any system processes start consuming 50% cpu.

I am experiencing this for quite a while....

When system starts, i open the task manager to look for processes.....everything remains OK for few seconds.....then one of the processes automatically starts consuming 50% cpu.... when i kill the process, things become normal again for few seconds. But
    then again, another of the processes start consuming the same cpu....

Can anybody help me with this?

Regards....

MuhammadHassan5, Nov 6, 2020
  4. GREP process find.exe consumes ~60% of the CPU

One of any system processes start consuming 50% cpu.

What is the process ???

Can you take a snapshot of it and post.

Frank N St31n, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

GREP process find.exe consumes ~60% of the CPU

1. GREP process find.exe consumes ~60% of the CPU - Similar Threads - GREP process find

2. What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "0vfo21l0.exe" process?: I saw it in task manager. I can't find it online. It had a NordVPN icon. I couldn't find it in any NordVPN file folders though.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-0vfo21l0exe-process/7ac9861c-3e18-4b41-8a11-8e7c10860d40
  3. CPU consumed by ExWaitForRundownProtectionRelease in idle state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU consumed by ExWaitForRundownProtectionRelease in idle state: Hi,I'm having a problem with CPU usage due to this blockage while the computer goes into idle mode about 5 minutes after the mouse stops moving. It consumes only 4% of the processor, but consumes as much as 20W of power. The problem with WaitFor does not occur when the...
  4. find string grep utility

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    find string grep utility: [ATTACH] Hi, please help me, why this process runs ? What's the reason? As you see none of apps opened, but this find string grep utility process use 96 % CPU...
  5. Why does the System process randomly start consuming 30-40% of CPU?

Why does the System process randomly start consuming 30-40% of CPU?: I'll often enter my office to the sound of my computer's fan operating at full speed. I've traced this to the System process running and consuming 30-40% of the CPU per Task Manager. If I reboot, this behavior stops, and System consumes less than 2% of CPU. But eventually...
  6. Why are these processes consuming all my CPU? The fans are spinning like crazy!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why are these processes consuming all my CPU? The fans are spinning like crazy!: [ATTACH] screenshots Sometimes my CPU usage goes up to 100 % all of a sudden, then I open the task manager and it starts dropping fast so by the time I take screenshot is not that high anymore. But the problem here is that everytime the CPU goes beyond 50 % the fans...
  7. Unnamed and System processes eat up to 60% of my CPU

Unnamed and System processes eat up to 60% of my CPU: Recently, I noticed that the "System" process and another unnamed process started using a lot of my CPU, which they didn't untill last weekend. [ATTACH] When I thought of ending the unnamed task, I opened it's location and it appeared to be svchost.exe, so I didn't end it...
  8. mremoteng consuming high cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mremoteng consuming high cpu: I have been using mremoteng from 2 years but recently the system getting hanged frequently whenever I open mremoteng. I noticed that mremoteng is using high cpu. How to fix this issue ? or is there any other similar software available which is free? 117075
  9. mremoteng consuming high cpu

in Windows 10 Support
    mremoteng consuming high cpu: I have been using mremoteng from 2 years but recently the system getting hanged frequently whenever I open mremoteng. I noticed that mremoteng is using high cpu. How to fix this issue ? or is there any other similar software available which is free? 117075
  10. Notepad consuming cpu 40%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%: Hi there So recently , my battery life became very weak . laptop fans are always so loud .. When opening task manager, i noticed that the notepad is consuming about 40% sometimes though i don't use it at all i use WORD instead .. also the memory is always at 30% or above...