Windows 10: Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

Discus and support Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have had a problem with my new computer. When I play a video, (youtube video, playing a videofile with the photos app on windows, etc.) a grey... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Phillip_5, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:12 PM.

1. Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

I have had a problem with my new computer. When I play a video, (youtube video, playing a videofile with the photos app on windows, etc.) a grey "filter" comes on top of the media that is playing. Before this only happened when i played a video on a higher resolution than it was displaying, but now it happens regardless. Does anyone know of a fix of this problem?

submitted by /u/Phillip_5
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Phillip_5, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:12 PM
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

3. Sasqui Win User
    Radeon Overlay not displaying all options

Ok, I got a question. The options to hide the overlay are confusing. What are the steps to turn on the overlay in-game? Not interested in logging much at the moment. Is Alt-R part of turning it on/off?

4. Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver in Windows 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

The Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver service is a file system driver. If Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver fails to start, the error message will appear. Windows 10 startup proceeds, but a message box is displayed informing you that the
    Wof service has failed to start.

I suggest you to search in your browser for Windows Overlay Files System Filter driver and
    download the appropriate version. Install the driver and restart the system.

I hope the issue will be resolved. Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thema:

Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

1. Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video - Similar Threads - Grey overlay filter

2. Problem when playing any video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem when playing any video: Problem when playing any video in most programs in Windows 10 :Normal position [ATTACH] this is the problem: [ATTACH] But when I played the video with an old version of the same program for old years it works without problems...
  3. Grey overlay on the 90% of the screen

Grey overlay on the 90% of the screen: Hey My computer screen suddenly got a grey filter over the working area. I can still see colours so it's not the windows, alt, c thing. It's like there is a fly screen or similar over the bottom 90% of the working area. Can anyone help please? Driving me insane. Thanks...
  4. No audio when playing video

No audio when playing video: I have no audio when playing video. This started with the most recent build to Windows 10, v.1809. All of the sound drivers have been updated (by Microsoft, when they took control of my computer). I can get the sound to work by running the audio playback troubleshooter...
  5. Windows is all grey but it's not greyscale filter

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows is all grey but it's not greyscale filter: Hello, my screen is all grey everywhere. It's not completely in grayscale but all color is lacking. It can't be a monitor issue since the picture appears the same on other computers. The grayscale filtering in windows is not enabled. Colors are shown, but just very dull....
  6. Videos lag or freeze when playing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Videos lag or freeze when playing: About 4 years ago I upgraded my Dell desktop from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit. I've noticed that there is a lag or freezing of screens including video where the spinning donut goes around and around. I don't have the same issue on my phone with the videos so it has...
  7. Overlay When Skipping or Playing next songs when Playing Video games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay When Skipping or Playing next songs when Playing Video games.: Hello just curious if we ever get this kind of Overlay while playing video games or some other fullscreen Apps. Like we know, theres a lot of Keyboard designed with Media keys now days. so we can just skip to next music while opening full screen aplication. basically it was...
  8. Dark screen when playing video

Dark screen when playing video: I have an issue with playing any type of video, both stored in the computer and streamed from the internet or Netflix. The colors of the screen are changing and I see everything in grayish tint. But I perfectly see a cursor, a toolbar, search bar etc. I use Toshiba with...
  9. Image issue when playing videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Image issue when playing videos: Hello, I have been having issues out of nowhere when playing videos on my Laptop, the video image appears to be zoomed in and blurry; the sound is perfectly fine and it doesn't appear to be an issue of zooming in and out within the settings or using the mouse control. This...
  10. audio but no video when playing dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    audio but no video when playing dvd: I recently updated to windows 10 and haven't had too many problems, although my Toshiba video player gives me audio but not video when playing dvds. This isn't usually a problem for me unless I'm somewhere that doesn't give me internet access, that's when I'll put on a dvd....