Windows 10: Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

Discus and support Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have had a problem with my new computer. When I play a video, (youtube video, playing a videofile with the photos app on windows, etc.) a grey... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Phillip_5, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

I have had a problem with my new computer. When I play a video, (youtube video, playing a videofile with the photos app on windows, etc.) a grey "filter" comes on top of the media that is playing. Before this only happened when i played a video on a higher resolution than it was displaying, but now it happens regardless. Does anyone know of a fix of this problem?

submitted by /u/Phillip_5
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Phillip_5, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Radeon Overlay not displaying all options

Ok, I got a question. The options to hide the overlay are confusing. What are the steps to turn on the overlay in-game? Not interested in logging much at the moment. Is Alt-R part of turning it on/off?

Sasqui, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver in Windows 10

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

The Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver service is a file system driver. If Windows Overlay File System Filter Driver fails to start, the error message will appear. Windows 10 startup proceeds, but a message box is displayed informing you that the
    Wof service has failed to start.

I suggest you to search in your browser for Windows Overlay Files System Filter driver and
    download the appropriate version. Install the driver and restart the system.

I hope the issue will be resolved. Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video

1. Grey overlay/ filter when playing a video - Similar Threads - Grey overlay filter

2. White filter on all videos played

in Windows 10 Gaming
    White filter on all videos played: When playing any local videos using Windows Media Player or Windows 10 movies and TV, there appears to be a white filter on top of any video played. This is a screenshot from windows 10 videos and TV app.This is a screenshot from Windows Media Player app.However, this won't...
  3. White filter on all videos played

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    White filter on all videos played: When playing any local videos using Windows Media Player or Windows 10 movies and TV, there appears to be a white filter on top of any video played. This is a screenshot from windows 10 videos and TV app.This is a screenshot from Windows Media Player app.However, this won't...
  4. White filter on all videos played

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Overlay two videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay two videos: I have two .webm videos files. One has video but no audio and the other one has audio but no video.I want to merge them together overlay. I use clipchamp but it takes a lot of time to export.Any other apps for both laptop and Android I can use?...
  6. Grey overlay on videos glitch fix

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Grey overlay on videos glitch fix: For anyone experiencing sudden grey filter on video playback after: about a second of playback system overlays such hovering on open taskbar apps, start menu etc. that affects some apps only like chrome, photos, movies & TV (PotPlayer seems to be immune from this issue),...
  7. Grey screen on monitor 1 when videos are being played.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grey screen on monitor 1 when videos are being played.: So whenever a video comes on browser or steam or other programs that show video's i sometimes have the monitor go completely grey. My second monitor, however, stays normal. Windows 11 continues to run as normal, but my 1st monitor is now completely grey and unusable.To fix it...
  8. Grey screen on monitor 1 when videos are being played.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grey screen on monitor 1 when videos are being played.: So whenever a video comes on browser or steam or other programs that show video's i sometimes have the monitor go completely grey. My second monitor, however, stays normal. Windows 11 continues to run as normal, but my 1st monitor is now completely grey and unusable.To fix it...
  9. Grey overlay on the 90% of the screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Grey overlay on the 90% of the screen: Hey My computer screen suddenly got a grey filter over the working area. I can still see colours so it's not the windows, alt, c thing. It's like there is a fly screen or similar over the bottom 90% of the working area. Can anyone help please? Driving me insane. Thanks...
  10. Overlay When Skipping or Playing next songs when Playing Video games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay When Skipping or Playing next songs when Playing Video games.: Hello just curious if we ever get this kind of Overlay while playing video games or some other fullscreen Apps. Like we know, theres a lot of Keyboard designed with Media keys now days. so we can just skip to next music while opening full screen aplication. basically it was...