Windows 10: Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

Discus and support Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jack1224, May 27, 2022.

1. Jack1224 Win User

Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but nothing works on the 1st monitor. If I unplug the 2nd monitor my 1st monitor will work perfectly fine.. when I go into safe mode I get the “startup settings” screen on my main monitor. When I boot the pc up in safe mode my main monitor works as intended but I do not get a picture on my 2nd monitor.

:)

Jack1224, May 27, 2022

2. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

So my windows is booting and logging in fine. But as soon as I connect a second screen to my laptop (razerblade 15 2019) it works for a secons, a fullscreen black window appears which i can move around for like 3 seconds. Then both my laptop screen and external
    monitor tuen grey while I can still see and move the cursor. No keys work. No ctrl-alt-del oe nothing. Disconnecting the monitor does not help. The only thing I can do is force shutdown with the power button.

The weirdest thing is sometimes it works for a while and then later all of a sudden it turns grey again. Sometimes turning my laptop to sleep or closing and opening the lid helps, but not always.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Simeon_Noemis, May 27, 2022
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, May 27, 2022
  4. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

Hi, I'm Bianca, an Independent Advisor for Microsoft, an expert and a Microsoft user like you. I'm happy to assist you.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. I hope I can help you get this fixed.

This might be a driver issue, I suggest that you update your drivers for your monitors.

Follow the steps here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/402844...

I hope this helps. If not, let me know if this does not work or if you've tried this already.

#BiancaB14, May 27, 2022
Thema:

1. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor - Similar Threads - Grey screen cursor

2. Cursor is disappearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cursor is disappearing on second monitor: I am working on a laptop with an additional monitor and my cursor is disappearing only on the second monitor and specifically only in areas where I can type. For example: OneNote, sticky notes, and this text box that I am currently typing in. The cursor appears everywhere...
  3. Cursor is disappearing on second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cursor is disappearing on second monitor: I am working on a laptop with an additional monitor and my cursor is disappearing only on the second monitor and specifically only in areas where I can type. For example: OneNote, sticky notes, and this text box that I am currently typing in. The cursor appears everywhere...
  4. Laptop screen constantly flickers when connecting a second monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop screen constantly flickers when connecting a second monitor: We recently bought an Msi laptop MSI Modern 14 B11MOU, when we connect it to a external screen Viewsonic VA2419 the screen on the laptop starts flickering like when you connect any laptop to a external screen until windows detects it, but in this case it just keeps...
  5. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor: I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but nothing works on the 1st monitor. If I unplug the 2nd monitor my 1st monitor will work perfectly fine.. when I go into safe mode...
  6. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor: I recently got a new Alienware aw2521hf and whenever I have the 2nd monitor plugged in on startup the Alienware monitor is grey with my cursor but nothing works on the 1st monitor. If I unplug the 2nd monitor my 1st monitor will work perfectly fine.. when I go into safe mode...
  7. grey screen , no cursor

grey screen , no cursor: [IMG]help , i got a bluescreen while playing games. after that laptop has been turned off, i try opening it back and it only shows grey screen and no cursor. i tried tapping the all command keys but it doesnt work . help me...
  8. Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...

Second monitor connect when the second monitor turn off. when i plug on the monitor, second...: i dont waht really going on. when my second montiro turn off and didnt connect to power source . my leptop detected the second monitor [ATTACH] but the name Generic PnP Monitor not the monitor type. and then i plug the monitor to power resource, the windows wont recognize...
  9. Cursor different on second monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor different on second monitor: My cursor changes on my second monitor. Recently set up a new PC to work from home, the monitors are the same I was using with my old PC and were working fine with that. But now, when I move it to my second monitor the cursor seems to pick up a second ghost cursor that is...
  10. Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Grey screen with cursor when connecting second monitor: So my windows is booting and logging in fine. But as soon as I connect a second screen to my laptop razerblade 15 2019 it works for a secons, a fullscreen black window appears which i can move around for like 3 seconds. Then both my laptop screen and external monitor tuen...